Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oven dilemma - WWYD?

Posted by cottonpenny (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 9:15

Looking for 30" double ovens. Honestly, I don't bake that many sweets like cookies or cakes. I do sometimes bake bread, but mostly I use the oven for roasted meats, fish and veggies.

I was set on the Electrolux ones before we even started building, due to reviews here. But of course, costs are adding up so every little bit saved helps.

At the stores I visited, they heavily pushed Jenn Air and Kitchenaid. I can get a KA double convection floor model for $2400. Both stores heavily discouraged me from Elux saying they were hard to service/hard to get parts. Who knows what the real reason is.

Of course, I could always buy Elux from Sears or AJMadison. My builder would likely not be that happy and it would probably be more of a headache for me. Plus they would cost $600 more.

A smaller consideration is that the KA handle would perfectly match my KA fridge handle, but I think Elux would look OK too..

I was set to settle on the KA, but today I read that the KA ovens only go down to 170. So I wouldn't be able to use them for bread proofing. The Elux goes down to 100. I've gotten by without this function so far but it seems like something I would actually use...

WWYD? Get the cheaper KA or piss off the builder and buy the Elux?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oven dilemma - WWYD?

I have a KA double convect oven and it does have a bread proofing mode where it sets the temp to 100 degrees. It is true the regular 'bake' temperature only goes to 170.

o

boschboy - thanks! do you like the KA oven?

o

I do like my KA oven. I, like you, do not do a lot of baking. I use it for broiling, roasting meals etc. I really like the bread proofing for when I make my pizza dough. I never had an oven with that feature and it does a great job helping the dough rise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here