Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White vinegar vs Finish Jet-Dry rinse aid?

Posted by Cavimum (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 9:14

A couple months ago I ran out of the Finish Jet Dry rinse aid and in a pinch, used white vinegar in our new Bosch 800+ series DW. The white vinegar seems to work just as well and every thing feels cleaner to the touch. There is no residue, and I always could feel the Finish/Jet Dry residue on everything.

My question ---> Will using white vinegar always as a permanent substitude instead of Finish/Jet Dry, do any damage to the rinse aid compartment of our Bosch DW?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White vinegar vs Finish Jet-Dry rinse aid?

Bosch doesn't say anything about vinegar but Miele does in their manuals:

Alternatively, it is possible to use

Household vinegar with a max. 5% acid content

or

Liquid citric acid with up to 10% acid content.

The resulting rinsing and drying quality will not, however, be as good as when rinse aid is used.
Do not use vinegar with a higher acid content (e.g. vinegar essence containing 25% acid). This would damage the dishwasher.

I assume it should be fine in the Bosch as well.

Alex

o

Thank you, Alex! I'm using the 'bog standard' brand Heinz and it is 5% acidity. I noticed dishes are not quite as dry, but they never were completely dry anyway, so it's not an issue. The vinegar is much cheaper, too!

o

I have a new bosch and have been noticing some stickiness from the rinseaid.

Did you just fill the rinseaid dispenser with straight vinegar?

o

@debrak_2008 - Yes, that is what I've been doing. My Bosch DW is programmable to the amount of rinse-aid to dispense. Check and see if yours does that, too.

o

Yes mine is programmable. Right now I have turbo finish rinse aid in it set at 1.

When this bottle runs out I'm going to try the vinegar. Thanks for the tip!

o

@debrak_2008 - If you're using the "Turbo" strength, then your water must be really hard. Are you also utilizing the built-in water softener? That might help.

o

I switched to white vinegar from rinse aid. Within a few months, the acid from the vinegar had eroded the rubber seal on the rinse aid cap. One $25 cap later, I decided to switch back to commercial rinse aid and have had no further issues.

I remember reading this post at the time that confirmed that someone else had the same experience with vinegar.

This post was edited by sas95 on Fri, May 24, 13 at 10:26

o

What is the built in water softener? I have a 500 model so I might not have that feature.

I bought turbo because I thought is would be better now realize it is over kill. I turned the setting down to 1 and so far its working pretty well.

o

@sas95 - Thank you for the link. This is exactly why I was wondering if the white vinegar was a good idea or not, for our Bosch.

Perhaps I'll call Bosch next week and inquire about the white vinegar. Alex said Miele approves it, but Bosch may use different components in the dispenser.

This post was edited by Cavimum on Sat, May 25, 13 at 9:01

o

Another solution, if you are worried about the vinegar, is to cut the Jet Dry with water. Make it 50%. That should solve the residue issues.

o

Vinegar is acetic acid. Jet Dry is a kind of soap, a surfactant. It lowers or eliminates water tension so that drops dont form and water sheets off surfaces.

o

Rinse aid typically is slightly acidic. The MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) for Cascade Crystal Clear Rinse Aid as an example indicates:
Ethanol - 3% to 7%
Citric Acid - 1% to 5%
Zinc Chloride - 0.5% to 1.5%
Water - >50%
pH 1% solution - 3.3

o

I added water to the rinse aid dispenser and I still have residue. On the bosch website they only recommend finish rinse aid. I will need to call bosch to ask about vinegar. I'm afraid to try it without their OK.

o

I have to wonder if Bosch's strong recommendations (and coupons with new DW) indicate a paid product placement. I wish the person with the blog, where the vinegar ruined her DW's dispenser cap, had posted which brand she owns. I don't have time to scroll back through someone's blog to find the info.

o

I have read that blog but don't remember the brand.

o

I can pretty much tell you that manufacturers do not test their rinse aid dispensers with anything other than the different brands of rinse aid.

Manufacturers try to stay away from "home remedies" as there is no consistency to test to.
What if Grape soda becomes the next internet home remedy cleaning sensation???
Are manufacurers supposed to drop all their other testing and start testing different brands of grape soda?

All manufacturers test to the 90-95% of the typical customer useage. They don't worry about the remaining 5-10 % That's why they stick to their recommendations, as they are what the product is tested to.

o

We have used Heinz white vinegar 5% in our Rinse Aid dispenser of our Bosch 800 series (non-plus, wish now I had bought plus) dishwasher for over three years and never had a problem.

Each dishwasher brand designs their rinse aid compartment differently. In our bosh the rinse aid fill hole is under the detergent cover. When you open the door and it is horizontal you open the detergent cover and pour the vinegar into the rinse aid hole until it is full. There is no rubber seal or cover to erode away. When the door is close and in the vertical position the vinegar is at the bottom of the rinse aid compartment and the fill hole is at the top so no vinegar sitting around a seal.

My mothers Asko has a little plastic cover you have to remove to expose the rinse aid fill hole. This has a rubber seal around cover/cap. I could see where more acidic solutions could destroy the seal. It immediately seemed like a bad design to me, but it has caused her no problems. She has also used Heinz vinegar 5% for years with no problems.

We both buy our vinegar at Costco by the Gallon for just a few bucks each. Rinse aid is a royal rip off.

o

(non-plus, wish now I had bought plus)

I'm more interested in this - why do you wish you had bought "plus". I have the 800 not plus and am very happy with it. I can't find anything about the plus that would make me spend additional $$ on it.

o

Wanted the third rack for silverware.

o

I have a third rack, and I don't have the "+"

o

Depends on when you purchased. We purchased ours in 2010 and at that time the third rack was only included on the plus models. Wife said no, too much money, third rack a gimmick. Ohh well. Eventually......

o

There should be (most likely) a piece of rubber inside the dispenser that keeps the outlet hole closed. Much like the stopper in your sink, it opens, lets some rinse aid drain into the dishwasher, and closes again.

Alex

o

Interesting post.
I might add some vinegar
Years back The Appliance Doctor recommended using Tang to clean your DW

This post was edited by a2gemini on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 19:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here