Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parkplaza_gw

Kenmore Elite DW - Rated at the top

parkplaza
14 years ago

Kenmore Elite Dishwashers have been the top rated on the last 2 consumer reports that did analysis on DWs. The Aug 08 issue has them in the top 3 spots. The Mar 08 issue has them 3 in the top 4. Yet, most rave about Bosch, and Bosch is rated lower. Any experiences with Kenmore that contradict this? I know they are built by Whirlpool, but to Sears specifications, so if "whirlpool" is bad, does this make the Kenmore models bad? I want to buy a new DW, but have always thought consumers was a reliable magazine.

Comments (6)

• ya_think
    14 years ago

Despite what they say, I believe that CR rates them as an overall value which of course includes price. Note that the top two dishwashers both got 83 points and have the same number of excellents and very goods. So why did Kenmore get the top position over the Bosch? Because the Bosch was twice the price. If price weren't a factor, which would be more important to most people, "ease of use" (which means convenience of controls) or "noise." Considering Bosch's ease of use is very good, I'd be drawn to Bosch's excellent rating for noise over the Kenmore's very good.

CR said, "The Ratings rank models by overall performance," but I have a hard time believing this. Look further down the list where two Bosches scored a 78 but the cheaper one got the higher position. See how circle ratings clearly show the more expensive one rating higher? The only other difference I see is the more expensive one having a ten minute longer cycle time. Surely for an over two hour cycle, a mere ten extra minutes didn't cost this model the higher spot?

By the way, note that while just about every dishwasher tested rated excellent for cleaning, only one rated excellent for noise. Yup, a Bosch.

• weissman
    14 years ago

fyi - some Kenmores are made by Whirlpool and some by Bosch - you have to check by model numbers or features - the ones by Whirlpool will have heated dry for example.

Why do you think Whirlpool DWs are "bad"? My previous one lasted over 20 years and my current KA (now owned by Whirlpool) is going on 7 years without any problems.

A friend of mine bought a Kenmore Elite by Whirlpool last year and she's very pleased with it. Bosch's may be a little quieter by Whirlpool's work fine.

CR is fine to use as one input, but it shouldn't be taken as the gospel!

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Sadly, the Bosch built Kenmore Elites are no longer made. We have one now. We would buy another in a heartbeat if it was available.

• morton5
    14 years ago

I had a Kenmore Elite made by Whirlpool in my old kitchen. It was 3 years old when I gave it to my sister-in-law.

I replaced it with a top-of-the-line Bosch 7 months ago. The Bosch is way better. Before I had the Bosch, I had always assumed that a DW couldn't clean certain things. The Bosch cleans my mugs so that they are sparkling clean inside; the Kenmore always left a dirty-looking residue. Also, I put a wax-encrusted crystal candlestick in the glass-care cycle. It came out sparkling. The Bosch is noticeably quieter, and is more energy-efficient than the Kenmore. The flexibility to put plastic items on the bottom more than makes up for the small loss of rack space. I'm glad I spent the money on the Bosch.

• luvmylg
    14 years ago

Contrary to my user name, everything I saw and read on the LG dishwashers stank. My username is really 4 my washer & dryer. Anyhoo, I reviewed, reviewed and reviewed. I looked at all leading brands except Miele and Asko. I finally decided on the Kenmore Elite 13192. I loved the "turbozone" feature as well as the steam sanitize, top rack only wash just to name a few. I put it to the test yesterday. I didn't use any options to enhance the cleaning, I just wanted to see what it could do "barebones". I was very impressed. My dishes varied in soil levels, One bowl had dried ziti (TMI...Iknow). I used another with dried oatmeal and other misc. soiled dishes. I was able to fill the machine. I used the enzymatic detergent and heated dry option. The old dw was a 9yo GE that has not cleaned effectively/consistently for 5yrs. The dishes put in the new dw would not have gotten cleaned in the old one. They were sparkling clean and dry as could be. Really like the 47db. My old one souded like a lawnmower! Did I say it was quiet??!! It is soooo nice to have clean dishes AND no noise! Needless to say I was very impressed. My main concern for ruling out other dishwasher brands was reliability or lack thereof, and inability to clean. Does anybody have the 13192 and have any feedback or suggestions for this model number?

• pat2802
    13 years ago

Bosch does make the Kenmore Elite Dishwashers. I work for Bosch Appliances and can tell you that for sure. They are releasing new models this month. The models they release have all the benefits of the Bosch dishwasher at a price we can afford.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch Kenmore dishwashers