Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my4thgarden

Question for Owners of the GE Profile Induction Range

My4thGarden
10 years ago

Would any owners of the GE Profile induction range be willing to do an experiment for me? Apparently there is absolutely no appliance showroom anywhere accessible to me that has one of these things as a working model, LOL

Last night I timed how long it took for a specific amount of water to come to a boil on our current kitchenâÂÂs Wolf smoothtop cooktop. I put 6 cups of cold tap water into a 2 quart pot (6 1/2â diameter stainless steel pot, straight sided, on a 6 ýâ burner element), covered the pot with a lid so as to bring it to the boil as fast as possible, and turned the burner on High.

It took 14 min. 12 seconds for the 6 cups of cold tap water in a 2 quart pot to come to a boil on the Wolf. I would love it if someone could time how long it takes for the same amount of water in the same size pot to come to a boil on the GE profile induction range!

I have had the Wolf cooktop for 10 years and somehow I don't seem to recall it taking as long as this to boil this amount of water, but maybe it's just senility setting in LOL.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (19)

• Tim Sutherland
    10 years ago

I have the GE PHP960DMBB Profile 36" Black Electric Induction Cooktop. I put 1,500g (6 cups) of water in a 6.5" diameter pot (Farberware 2QT/1.9L) stainless steel pot with a glass lid on. The pot was placed on the 6.5" hob (top right) and set to H. I observed the following:

Start temp 23.8C
    40C at 1.25 min
    50C at 2:07 min
    60C at 2:48 min
    70C at 3:34 min
    80C at 4:11 min
    90C at 4:58 min
    100C at 5:45 min, and the watched pot boiled over.

• My4thGarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you SO much! That's my exact same pot too, LOL ... a perfect comparison. :-)

Wow... a difference of over 8 minutes is quite impressive. Thanks again!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

If my range was hooked up and I knew where my pots were, I'd certainly help out. I'd be interested to see how the range and cooktop compare too. If you still want to know in a week or so, I should be back in business :-)

• My4thGarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am curious about the induction range/cooktop comparison too... in case they are "powered" differently. Would love to see your results as well! Thanks!

• marc_ia
    10 years ago

I have a ge profile induction. I put 6c water in a stainless steel pan (flint) on the 6 1/2 burner. At exactly 4 minutes the lid was jiggling and the water was at a full boil. Gotta love it. I love it. Hate the oven though.

• tkey4871
    10 years ago

marc....what don't you like about the over? This is the slide in range we are looking to purchase.

• marc_ia
    10 years ago

The oven is very uneven. I had company last week and for breakfast when the timer went off I took out the two sheets of bacon. One was perfectly done and one was burned to a crisp. If yo put anything near the top it gets very brown on top...so rice pudding etc must go on the bottom rack. And lately it doesn't seem to hold the temperature. Mine is about 3 1/2 years old and it's a free standing model.

• tkey4871
    10 years ago

Thx! we would be buying the slide in version, but I can't imagine the oven is different.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Marc:

Sounds like the top element is coming on or staying on when it should not. (I'm assuming that you fully preheat the oven and do not rely on the pre-heat signals --- which are grossly innacurate on every brand of stove).

That and the oven not holding temps, suggests to me that the oven might need calibrating (cheap and easy to do with a good oven thermometer --- it is covered in the use and care manual) or that the the thermo probe might be failing (not easily diagnosed by the owner) or that controller board may be failing (expensive and worst case.)

Also, I'm curious if the convection functions affect the uneven top heating?

• marc_ia
    10 years ago

I hate to admit this but I never have used the convection function. I know I know. Lol. And my friend has an electric GE range (different model) and she says things get too brown on top too so I'm not sure if its just mine. The manual tells how to adjust the oven thermostat but specifically says not to use an oven thermometer like the ones you purchase at the grocery store because they are inaccurate. I don't know how much a "good one" costs. I do preheat until it notify s me...but it takes quite a while so I assume it is long enough. I don't think the thermostat is the problem but it might be.

• My4thGarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The oven problem is something that would concern me because I do a LOT of baking; interested to hear the responses and solutions.

I too would probably never use the convection, because I'm too used to recipes using the "old fashioned" temps, LOL. And I would think that any errors in converting time or temp from one to the other probably have worse repercussions for baked goods than other foods.

I have never trusted the oven beeps for preheating but take it as a rule of thumb to allow at least 20 minutes to reach 350F, and at least 30 for anything above 400. Most of the time 350 is the temp that I am working with though.

The GE Profile wall oven that I currently have, "beeps" to say that it has reached 350 in less than 10 minutes. Uh huh. Meanwhile the freestanding oven thermometer in the center of the center rack has barely gotten out of the 200s, LOL

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Just now noticed Marc's question about what a good oven thermometer costs. Sorry I didn't see it sooner, but that begs the question of what is a good oven thermometer?

I've used several including remote probe thermometers from Polder and Taylor.

I've also used a dial-face Cooper-Atkins model that I've had for five years and is nearing the end of its useful life (been baked so much that it is getting hard to read now.) I think I paid about $5 for it.

A couple of years ago, Cook's Illustrated tested oven thermometers. First recommendation was the Cooper Atkins. It seems to be priced at around $6 at our local hardware store. Second was the CDN "Pro Accurate Data Hold" which runs about $12. There is also a CDN "Multi-mount" which costs about $8 and which Cooks liked except for a tendency for the markings to fade in oven heat over time.

Going back to over-browning on the tops of some things, that can be a consequence of putting stuff in the oven too soon after the preheat signal goes off. Nowdays, a lot of electric ovens run both the upper and lower oven heating elements together for pre-heating (That is, they run the broiler element and the baking element at the same time). . Those upper heating rods take some time to cool down from heating mode to the normal oven temperature after the upper element is switched off when pre-heat finishes. If you don't give it a few minutes to do that after the indicator beeps, the result can be like having the broiler on and you get too much heat on the tops of your cookues, bread, pie or whatever. Try giving the oven an extra ten minutes after the pre-heat signal beeps and see if that makes a difference for the over-browned tops of your baked goods.

• marc_ia
    10 years ago

Thanks again everyone for continuing input. Jwvideo.... Thanks. I never thought about that and you're probably right. I do tend to put things in the oven immediately when it SAYS it reaches temp..I'm usually in a hurry. But I will def try waiting. And thanks for the thermometer info. I am def going to get one of those you mentioned and see what's going on. My name is Marcia btw not that it matters but with the line is the only way it would take it.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

>>>"My name is Marcia btw not that it matters but with the line is the only way it would take it."And here I thought you were "Marc" from Iowa (IA). :>)

Another thought on something thing that affect overbrowning, which is oven cycling. When temp drops below a certain point, the baking burner heats up until the temperature overshoots the set point. Then it shuts off until the temp falls low enough, at which point it comes back on again. On my late former stove, a GE Profile dual fuel, the swings were much wider during preheat. That is, the overshoot on the way up to a full preheat was much higher than after full preheating. On the way to a full preheat, the oven thermometers showed me that that the overshoot might be as much as 30F to 50F above and below the set point while the oven was preheating. However, after thirty or so minutes of preheating, the swing really settled down to around 20F or 30F (so, varying around 350F by going down to 340F or 335F and going up to about 360F). For at least the last decade, stoves have been well insulated so that many ovens hold heat pretty well once they have been fully preheated.

On the subject of convection, here's a reason to consider trying out convection baking and roasting with your induction rnage. On my late GE Profile range, the temp settings tended to be very stable in a fully preheated oven when running convection. Assuming I had a relatively clean oven, of course. The third oven heating element (the one the rings the fan) helps maintain a set temp which the air flow distributes around the cavity. So, with the oven set to, say, 350F, and convection running, the oven thermometers showed me that a cookie sheet on the middle rack would stay within a few degrees of 350F.

On my former GE Profile, I also found that preheating with convection bake took longer than preheating on standard bake, but the temperature was more stable when the pre-heat signal went off. So, you also might try that and see if makes any difference.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 15:01

• marc_ia
    10 years ago

An update...I got a thermometer and I am checking it to figure out what is going on. I wanted to say that you were correct. When the oven beeps saying it has reached temperature...it is really nowhere near. It actually takes 30-45 minutes to reach temp. Unbelievable.

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

I have a GE induction slide-in. I'm happy to do the experiment if you're still curious. Let me know.

As for the oven ... it seems pretty great to me. It's way better than what I had before. I haven't used it much to bake, but I've made cookies several time, 2 sheets at the same time, on the top two racks. I'm not sure how to adjust the temperature for convection so I just use the regular bake. They've always come out great - very even across both sheets. And alot less dry then the old oven. It might be that the temperature more accurate, but I don't have a thermometer to check.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm going to be getting the Profile Induction freestanding range in a couple of months and so am interested in this as well.

As to the long preheat times, I've never had an electric oven (whether freestanding range or wall oven) that was able to reach 350 (as reported on an oven thermometer) in less than 25 minutes. But of course they all "beep" in 10 or less!

I just turn on the oven immediately before starting my "mise en place" for baking; by the time I've done that and actually gotten the batter into the pans, I know it has reached the proper temperature.

I so rarely use the oven for anything other than baking, that this method works perfectly for me. ;-)

• Lisa71
    10 years ago

I tried 6 cups of cold tap water on the left front hob (8" - 2500W) in a 2 Qt. 6.5" diameter pot with lid on and it took 3 min 38 sec to a full boil. There isn't a 6.5" diameter hob as the right rear is 6" and 1800W.

I'm currently in the process of designing a kitchen remodel and several of my friends have suggested an insta-hot tap. I keep telling them I don't need it because I have induction. With a tea kettle, you don't even have time to find the tea bags. :)

• sawt
    10 years ago

I have the GE PHS925STSS slide-in induction range. I holds heat very well but doesn't bake evenly in convection bake mode. The back left corner always bakes darker. The display temperatures are quirky. If you have preheated to say 350 and then decide to reset it to 400, the display immediately jumps to 400. The front right burner jumps to high(power boil) all by itself. Others have had this problem also. If I can get these issues sorted out I'll be happy. Love the induction.