Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

bosch 800 + series does not dry dishes????

Peke
10 years ago

We just connected our Bosch dishwasher. We have run two loads, but it doesn't dry the dishes.

Don't all dishwashers have a heated dry cycle?

Any advice? Thanks, peke

Comments (25)

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Don't all dishwashers have a heated dry cycle? No, they do not all have heated dry.

Many units nowadays have condensation drying. The final rinse water is heated to a specific temperature such as 150ðF and dishware dries by retaining heat while the interior of the tub cools faster. Moisture condenses from the heated dishes onto the cooler tub walls where it runs down to the bottom. The drain pump may run at end of the drying period to clear the accumulated water. Opening the door immediately when the cycle ends may find the interior of the tub wet and the dishware somewhat more damp than to which one is accustomed.

Leaving the door ajar for a while before unloading will allow the residual moisture to evaporate.

Also, use of rinse aid is required.

• xedos
    10 years ago

Should also be noted that at " the end of the cycle" the dishes haven't had a chance to dry in a condensing DW.

The machine may have stopped aftertax final rinse, but they need to stay in there with the door Closed to "bake" off the water so to speak.

After the heat has dissipated , you'd then open the door to evaporate the water left over.

Opening the door soon after the final rinse defeats the drying portion and just let's out lots of warm moist air which isn't good for your cabinets, counters, or house.

• jakvis
    10 years ago

Check your Care & Use manual. There is generally a way to boost the final rinse temp to make the dishes dry better. The default is off for better energy results.

Also make sure your rinse-aid is at the correct setting and that you have salt in the water softener tank that all 800+ units have

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all. I didn't realize some dishwashers didn't dry dishes. We left the door closer until the next day so they were damp.

I had read the manual, but didn't remember that part.

I saw that it told me to test the water to know how much salt to use. Where do I buy the test strips?

Thanks, peke

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Our city water posts the results a couple times per year. If you are not on well water, contact your water company.
    It is frustrating to have researched appliances and miss something basic. Been there, done that- so I feel your pain.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all. It just never occurred to me that it didn't dry. Probably why the energy star rating... peke

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Plastic items tend to not dry as well also.

The DW is relying on the residual heat left in the items, together with a rinse aid to make sure water runs off and there is enough heat to dry the little water left.

Plastic items (and other low mass objects) do not hold enough heat to dry as well.

• maureen_me
    8 years ago

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone's still paying attention, I have a question. If you shouldn't open the door for at least thirty minutes after the cycle concludes to allow drying to take place, how do you stop the beeping, which seems to continue until the power is shut off? Since the control panel is on the door top, you can't access the power button without opening the door. Open it to hit the power button and then close it again really quickly? That seems like poorly thought-out design.

Sorry if there's an obvious answer that I'm just not seeing. I've had this machine for about three years, so I guess I should know how it works by now, but I have to say I find the manual less than helpful on some subjects. And thanks.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

There's got to be an answer (sorry, I don't know what it is) because my Bosch 800 series DW doesn't beep at the end of a cycle.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I found the instructions for turning off the beeps. Here's a screen shot from the manual. A="normal" button, B="express button", C="rinse" button.

• maureen_me
    8 years ago

I had no idea that turning off the beeps was even an option! That'll definitely make the drying process a lot less annoying. Thanks so much, sjhockeyfan325--I'm trying that tomorrow!

• markb
    8 years ago

"I had no idea that turning off the beeps was even an option!"

You would IF you read your owner's manual.

• maureen_me
    8 years ago

Who asked you?

• jeoconn
    8 years ago

Is there an online owners manual? I NEED to turn off the 'peeps' and I am not sure about the A,B,C buttons? We got the dishwasher when sister-in-law wanted a stainless steel model, no manual.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

There is. Bosch dot com - support - manuals. Type in model number.

• HU-371121507
    4 years ago

Our new expensive Bosch dishwasher has a great energy rating; washes dishes but doesn’t dry them as well as the old dishwasher.
    Our new LG washing machine savers water but doesn’t clean clothes as well as our old washing machine.
    Is this progress?

• Joseph Cyr
    3 years ago

Let me show you the FUTURE!, it’s 2020. Let me put this plain & simple;

I spent $ 900 on a dishwasher that has no heating element, the NEW drying process has a fancy new name which turns means “wet dishes“.

lets see here, at $900 I certainly didn’t save any$$$. I wonder how Bosch Made out $$$$$$ From leaving out heating elements, then telling us “THE KINGS NEW CLOTHES”.

WHO DO YOU BELIEVE, BOSCH OR YOUR LYING EYES ?!

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree, Joseph! My last house had a Jenn-Air dishwasher, and I loved bed it. With my Bosch, dishes on the bottom rack are usually dry. Dishes on the middle and top silverware rack do not dry. Plus, the middle rack flips plastic bowls right side up, and they are full of soapy water. If someone forgets to pull out the bottom rack first, the middle rack dumps that soapy water on the lower rack, and the dishes get to be washed again.

Hu-, Same here. Towels do not smell as clean as they used to....not sure if it is the LG washer or the laundry soap for HE machines. By the way, my husband is a "leaner". When he opens the LG washer, he leans on the door while adding clothes. Eventually, we started getting error messages and the washer would not work at all. Simple solution would be for my husband to stop leaning on the door...but, lifting up on the door usually fixes the error code. Eventually that "fix" will quit working, and I will get a new washer. I am undecided about getting another water saver washing machine.

• Joseph Cyr
    3 years ago

Hi Peke

i guess I shouldnt be shocked others are putting up with this kind of experience probably everywhere these are sold!

i understand your the wife in the house, after blowing $900 on this and noticing the wet dishes, I actually get up early to open the dw, so wifey doesn’t realize the poor decision I made, coupled with the fact I was a certified appliance tech!, I ended up with a different career, but still.

i noticed when shopping for dw’s, some the brands were recently adding doors that “popped “ open at end of cycle. my impression was, hmmm, why?

never in my wildest dreams did I imagine Bosch removing the heating/drying elements! And forgot to mention in my first story, the fan/ventilation system standard on all machines is ALSO removed.

im sure some engineers got a big fat bonus in their paycheck’s for saving the company $$$.

the mongural brands I steer clear from AT LEAST have the door pop open feature

to assist a little drying dishes .

well, I’ve gone on too long with this, the fact that it’s already installed is what stops me from returning it. and you bet Bosch is betting on that. I installed mysel, most people will spend in addition to the dw itself, $200-$300 for installatio! which practically guarantee’s you won’t be returning.

gotta go, got dishes to dry.

• Peke
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Opening the door does not help dry anything but plates. I know manufacturers took the heating element away because the government wanted more energy efficient dishwashers, and I guess they are!

• carnold1578
    2 years ago

OMG! Just installed a new Bosch yesterday after my old one sprung a leak, prompting removal of ruined floors and a quick review of new dishwashers for a replacement. I’ll ”upgrade” to a Bosch, I thought. Ran a load of dishes, and I use the term load generously, as it didn’t hold much. Anyhow, dishes wet this am. Found this thread and definite buyers remorse. I’ll learn how to load it more efficiently, but damp, clean dishes was not what I was expecting after my “upgrade.” Dang! Why does everybody love Bosch?

• Mariella
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Which Bosch dishwasher did you buy? We just got Bosch 800 series with Crystal Dry 2 weeks ago. It cleans and dries perfectly! I never knew I could love a dishwasher! The middle rack is adjustable if you need to fit more dishes. We are a family of 4 and I cook almost every day; my Bosch holds everything. I adjust the position of the middle rack as needed. Also the top rack (MyWay rack) holds a lot of smaller bowls.

• Cadyren
    2 years ago

I bought a Bosch 500 6 weeks ago & it holds so much more than my Maytag did. I use the Auto open option & everything is all but 100% dry in the morning, even when using the 60 minute wash. I was used to dabbing off plastic cups in my Maytag, because I never used the heated dry to bake my dishes. My dishes are dry! I have a hard time filling the darn thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything & I love the flex 3rd rack.

• Erin Sutherland
    2 years ago

Just had our new Bosch diswasher installed 3 days ago. So disappointed as our dishes are still wet. Thinking of returning it!