Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jl0810

Opinions for my 10k to 15k Kitchen Appliance Allowance

jl0810
10 years ago

Building a house and I've read many many posts already. We are trying to keep the appliances within 10k to 15k. We love to cook, but let's call us amateurs at best. Still learning so we don't need anything over the top. We want to spend time now vetting the appliances as this is a big expense and want to make the right choices and not feel under pressure. (the house is not even under construction yet). Our overall goal is to get nice, high end (not top end) stuff that is reasonably reliable. We think it makes more sense to spend money on the cooking equipment (cooktop versus fridge)

So far my thoughts are:

1) 36inch Bluestar cook top (seems like our cooking is always over high heat so love the Bluestar for this concept). the reliability concerns me some. Our drawings show space for 48 inches but I think 8 burners is overkill for what we need.

2) Hood - i'm a bit clueless here. I hear good things about ventahood. I think it's fair to say we would overspend here since we are high heat cookers and having a strong, and quiet hood is critical

3) We have space for 2 Ovens or a double oven - i've heard electrolux is good. We like the idea of speed oven and a regular oven so we can forgo a microwave.

4) Fridge - i don't want to blow the budget on a fridge. Maybe stick with Kitchen aid versus something nicer like SZ?

5) Dishwasher. Bosch seems to get good reviews- we have one in our house now - mostly ok but it smells from time to time. Any suggestions here?

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

This post was edited by jl0810 on Wed, May 15, 13 at 6:37

Comments (5)

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I am no expert, but here are my opinions.

First, the BS (Bluestar) in a 36" in model will only be 6 burners and not 8. We have the 36" rangetop and it is just my wife and I and we are sooo happy we got the 6 burners 36" model vs the 30" 4 burner model. I saw if you have the space and money do it.

Fro the vent hood, you are right don't skimp, get something that will work with the way you cook. You will need to do more research on here and other sites to get a better idea of what you should get. And honestly others on here are more versed in that area than I am so I will not comment more than that.

Personally I say never get a "double" oven as there tend to be more issues with those compared to single oven's. That is not to say they are all bad or all have issues, just a general statement. If you want 2 ovens get two singles, or maybe a single oven and some sort of a combi or steam oven. I think you would be happy going either route. Or maybe think long and hard if you really need 2 and if you don't say the extra money to spend elsewhere.

Lots of choices of fridges, and again not my strong suit, so read up there is a lot to learn about and then go and see stuff in person. Reading is good, but hands on is better.

Bosch is a great brand for a DW, but don't rule out Miele if you can afford it. We love ours and both brands are great.

Best of luck to you, and read up on here, lots to learn.

Phil

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

With your budget, I would suggest a rangetop over cooktop. Very happy with my three month old Bluestar 36" range with griddle and I do use the griddle often! I researched hoods extensively since we were coming from a cooktop and downdraft. I narrowed it down to Modern Aire and Prizer, and ended up with the Prizer on a fit and finish basis, not inexpensive though, with a remote blower, but since it's an island hood, it is very much a focal point, and it is truly a work of art. Went with a Liebherr fully integrated refrig, (a couple grand less than a SZ), and love it so far! We kept our old DW since it was still working and easily replaceable at a later date. Know nothing about the new wall ovens other than our old Thermador lasted 27 years without a repair, and was still working when we took it out a few months ago...

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I think your biggest modulator on budget will be the decision on whether to go built-in on the fridge, regular freestanding, or CD slide-in. Have you made decisions on size needs yet?

For hoods, I went with Modernaire after suggestions from people here, and I do not regret it. From what I can tell, a higher level of fit and finish. I have not seen too many Abbakas or Prizers, but the pricing seems to be a step above (I had some issues with order responsiveness from VAH). I think the experts will certain chime in on performance metrics that can be satisfied at many different price points... after that, it becomes more form vs. budget.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I love me Elux counter depth refrigerator and my Miele DW.

I was tempted to go with the Elux double ovens but ended up with a Wolf E series and a GE Advantium speed oven above it.

I just love the functionality of the speed oven - and unless you need a double oven all of the time - a great option.

Both Elux and Wolf seem to have porcelain problems (I am hoping I am immune) in the ovens - so take a look around - maybe the Miele?

• jl0810
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice. Let me throw out a few more questions based on what you gave me.

1) Bluestar: Should I care alot about cooktop versus rangetop? I know the difference is in where the controls are (I'm indifferent), but if I get the high btu's off the Bluestar cooktop, and it may be a bit cheaper, would that be better to go cooktop and save some money?

2) Fridge- yep - this is the budget breaker. We want the look of BI, but don't really want to pay those prices. We also really don't need anything much bigger than 36 as we have a standalone freezer. So to answer the earlier question, I think CD is fine. Any recommedations here?