Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

Retractable Downdrafts for Island Cooktops?

lmalm53
15 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen and want to replace my 19 year old GE downdraft electric cooktop with a new ceramic top induction unit. I will need to find a retractable downdraft venting system that will fit with the cooktop over a 30" x 24" cabinet in my center island.

I had initially heard that Broan makes most the retractable systems, but later heard that Broan used lesser quality materials and it was better to get a vent system made to fit the specific cooktop I decided to go with. I have been considering KA, GE, Electrolux and Thermador 30" induction cooktops. I believe Thermador and KA have their own brand vent systems but I don't know who really makes them. I am leaning toward the Thermador cooktop mainly for esthetic reasons and because I believe it will be a dependable unit.

I have also been told that the vent units that utilize a screw drive system operate more smoothly and solidly than the cheaper units that use a thin cable to pull the vent up and down. Its hard to find much detail info on the various vent systems though other than the basic spec sheet.

Has anyone had personal experience with the retractable vent systems... good or bad? I am not a professional cook, but my kitchen does get a lot of use. My old GE cooktop with the built in downdraft served me well all those years but I am set on getting a totally smooth cooktop with touch controls and no raised knobs or vent grates. The Thermador vent system with an internal blower pulls 600 CFM which I'm sure must be more powerful than my old GE.

Comments (12)

• coolbeansw
    15 years ago

I have a Diva induction cooktop and a Dacor retractable downdraft on a peninsula in my kitchen. Here's a picture showing the vent fully extended. I went with the Dacor because its cabinet components are compact, which allowed me to put drawers underneath the cooktop (as the Dacor parts fit behind the drawers.) It has a remote blower and vents down through the floor, through the crawl space beneath, and outside to the backyard. Works great and has been trouble-free for the almost 2 years it's been in place. (I should note that I do very little frying.)

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply and pic Coolbeans. Does the Dacor vent match your finish around the Diva? It looks like a good match in the pic. I checked into the Thermador vent today and the one on display had a very matte/brushed look versus what I believe is a more shiny stainless finish on the black Thermador cooktop. (haven't seen one in person yet, they just had the silver mirrored version on display)

I was planning on using an internal blower in the cabinet underneath since I have the room and plenty of drawers on either side of the cooktop. I expect an internal blower will be more noisy than the remote one though. Have you noticed your Dacor vent itself being quiet or noisy when popping it up and down?

I might check into the Dacor vent to go with the Thermador cooktop if the finish is a match.

• coolbeansw
    15 years ago

Yes, the cooktop trim and the vent match: they're both brushed SS.

The mechanism that raises and lowers the vent is very quiet. The exhaust fan ranges from quiet at the lower settings to quite noisy at the highest setting.

• oskiebabu
    15 years ago

While no downdraft venting system of equal power compares in effectiveness with over the cooktop vents, there are often construction and design reasons people can't go with overhead vents.

The main reason for the superiority of overhead vents is the simple fact that heat and most other fumes and odors from a cooktop rise. But if you have rooms over your cooktop then a downdraft is probably theonly way to go. Get the most powerful and well-built one you can afford.

Greg

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Coolbean,

What size vent do you have and how far does it run. When on max is a wind noise or van noise? Thanks

• coolbeansw
    15 years ago

Canuck, I don't remember the vent size -- it was the smaller of the two recommended by Dacor (6 or 8", not 10"). The remote blower is 16 horizontal feet from the vent plus probably another 3-6 feet or so of vertical venting down into the crawl space.

I don't know how to describe how loud the fan is on maximum speed. It's a loud whooshing sound that I don't give any thought to unless I have the TV on. Then I have to crank the TV volume way up.

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the good feedback. I did speak directly to Thermador and they verified that the finish on their retractable vent system will match the frame on the cooktop. I decided to go with the 14" tall vent instead of the 10". It will do a better job covering my tall pots and it has a few additional features. Both of Thermador's vents use a screw drive system versus a cable pull.

I did get a hands on look at their 36" model on display. The mechanism that pulls the vent up and down seems a little noisy but within reason. Vent noise on low setting was pretty quiet. Medium seemed to match the noise level of my current GE downdraft and the High setting was definitely LOUD.

I noticed they had a 36" Bosch vent on display right next to the Thermador. It was actually a little quieter in its drive mechanism pulling the vent up and down, but I will stick with the Thermador to ensure proper compatibility with the cooktop.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

I went with the Dacor version due to min space requirements (less than 3 in thick) including under the counter top and a side vent and they supplied the adapter.

• infohound2006
    15 years ago

Coolbeans, lmalm, and canuck (and anyone else!),

I'm also planning this type of island setup: Miele induction cooktop + Dacor downdraft.

Can you please help me figure out the required cabinet dimensions?

1. How deep is your cabinet (inside & outside dimensions)?
    2. Does it have a full back, or is the downdraft in the location where the cabinet back would be?
    3. Lastly, do you have standard depth drawers below the cooktop, in front of the Dacor?

We're trying to have the island be as narrow as reasonable, with space for the cooktop (good drawers below), downdraft vent, plus a counter overhang for some counter seating.

Thanks much!

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Mine is installed on against a wall.

1) Depth Wise: I 3.5 in behind the downdraft, then about 2.25 of downdraft then the cooktop 20.25 in I think then about 4.5 in in front(great place to place tools etc) total depth about 32 in. The width is what ever it took to fit the 32 top and blend into a 28 depth sides on both sides of the cooktop. The total is 8 feet.

2) Against a wall put if it was on an island then you would have the normal cab as a back.

3) I have a depth that is deeper than standard due to the larger depth of top. Cooktop width + 4.5 in front. So the drawers are 20 inches.

• infohound2006
    15 years ago

Thanks, Canuck!

That's great detail! I sure appreciate you taking the time to go and measure! What an interesting idea to have a bit of space in front for tools. I'll have to think about whether we have the space for it (Our LR, on the other side of a shallow pantry wall, is kind of narrow; so we're trying to figure out if we can make the island and/or the work aisle narrower than the 42" so as to give an extra 6-10" to the LR.).

And, I am glad that you too have a deeper than the typical 24" cabinet. Many times I use some appliance on the countertop (toaster-oven, microwave, rice-cooker, etc.) and if I want to put a plate in front, I am reminded that an extra 3" of counter depth would be soo helpful. And now I have a chance to do that ... at least on one of the walls.

Again, Canuck, thanks for the quick reply, and also my thanks to Coolbeans for posting the beautifully clear photographs & description!

• ndukac_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

Looking for Retractable Downdraft Vent System with Cook Top Touch Control in Direct Current 240 volts