Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Should the hood be as deep as the countertop?

lalithar
11 years ago

Here is my setup.. 30" deep counters with an 36" induction and a 12" gas cooktops set in around 3" from the edge. I am planning a 57" wide hood .. Should it be 30" deep or will 27" work OK. The blower is 1400 CFM roof mounted with 10" duct.

Comments (6)

• kaseki
    11 years ago

Ideally, the hood should be deep enough that at its height above the cooktop, the expanding rising effluent is captured by the hood aperture. If the cooktop is placed in reach, that is, not at the back of the 30-inch counter, then a standard depth hood would have to be mounted out from the wall (conceptually). One way would be to increase its depth, another would be to mount it away from the wall and add a plate at the back.

To evaluate placement, assume that each pan on the cooktop emits effluent at a 22.5 degree angle outward from each pan edge. A side-view sketch will reveal where the hood aperture has to be for any particular hood height and location of the cooktop on the counter.

kas

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Like Kaseki mentioned, we had a piece of lumber wrapped in stainless by the local sheetmetal/hvac shop for a spacer behind our hood to push it forward. Since your cooktop will be forward, it'd be best to have the hood over it, and not set back, but maybe not necessary to spend more for a 30"... If it is significantly more.

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kayseri/ rhome. There is no additional cost to doing 30" deep hood (we are doing a custom hood with modernaire as we have some unique space/ ducting issues. The question was purely aesthetics and functionality. Aesthetics because this is a galley kitchen with 5ft aisle and 30" deep counters on both side. The functionality because the cooking surface will likely be 33" from floor or maybe 34" max. So I will mount the hood 36" from that.. Would that be too low and in your face for taller folks?

• kaseki
    11 years ago

My hood aperture is at 34 inches over 36 inches for a total height from the floor of 70 inches. I do not bump my head bending forward, but my height is roughly only 71 inches anyway. In general, for any hood height (excluding perhaps commercial 84-inch mounting) there will always be someone who could bump into the hood, so one has to choose between optimizing the setup for oneself, or for future owners, assuming that they don't want to change it anyway.

A factor is how easily the pans can be reached from the standing position, as one's sight-line to a pan will generally pass under the hood even if the hood only reaches eye height.

Part of my hood is over an induction wok hob, and one of the hood's lights is in that position. I find that I have to wear a hat to keep the lamp from performing a food warming function on my head when wokking. This may be a consideration in some cases for selecting a hood's mounting height in the context of its configuration.

kas

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Our rangetop is approx 34" from the floor and our hood about 36" above that. I'm only 5'4, so no problem for me, but also not for anyone taller using the stove so far.

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your feedback. I just placed the order today.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling