Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

De Dietrich induction cooktop

chinchette
9 years ago

Is anyone around that has any data about De Deitrich cooktops? I imported one about 8 years ago. Its failing. I have another one in my shed that I can use parts for, but have no idea how to fix it. When it worked, it was great!!

Comments (13)

• lee676
    9 years ago

Hurry up, because their parent company Fagor just went bankrupt. The whole appliance unit is/was owned by Mondragon which is still very much in business, so hopefully parts will remain available for some time. You may have to check their global site or that of the country it was imported from. Many appliance components are made by a small set of manufacturers that provide parts for many appliance companies and brands.

• chinchette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Intersting. I need to know how to fix it though...found nothing on you tube etc, for that.

• andy47
    9 years ago

if you imported this unit then it probably violated the ul code
    since you had to probably use a transformer and thus did not have any US warranty

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

The warranty or lack of one is irrelevant. It's an 8 year old cooktop. Chinchette is looking for diy info not seeking warranty support or complaining about the product.

There's a bit of history here at GW on this which some apparently do not know. Back 8 and 10 (and more) years ago, there really were not many induction appliances available in the U.S market and there was a lot od discussion here at GW about importing and adapting European induction units. Everybody who did that knew what they were getting into and knew that there could eventually be service and support issues. The market has moved on.

Chinchette is not complaining and has spare parts to hand, and is only looking for DIY info.

So, does anybody have any idea on where to look for parts diagrams or repair info? Is it available, maybe, in German or Spanish? I thought DeDetrich marketed in England and Australia, too: maybe Australia has something like Sam's fotofax?

• chinchette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right! I got it based on The Garden Web threads and enthusiasm at that time, 8 years ago. And I was wondering if there is more data on the internet such as You Tube that is from other countries and must be searched in a different way. I do see one site where I can buy parts from England. But you are right, I need DIY info. I have two, because one arrived damaged, and was sent a second one that I can use for parts.

Its still somewhat useable but I'd like to get it totally working. If I can't, I will bail and get one here that is comparable if such a thing exists. Love the amount of power this one has, the configuration, and the timers.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Search for parts vendors in the UK, Australia; or elsewhere where these were sold. There must be some counterpart to partsdirect.com that has exploded breakout diagrams that show how the parts are attached. Not the same as a service/repair manual but very useful DIY repairs nonetheless.

Not sure why you'd need a transformer - voltage is the same - only issue would seem to be 60Hz vs. 50Hz, which is less of a concern with cooktops than something with a motor in it. Electronics may or may not be designed for either 50 or 60 cycle.

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

The OP has everything needed to put together one working induction unit from two sick ones except perhaps a few additional odd tools to open up the unit and some familiarity with the internals.
    Trying scouting your local area for someone who is into the diy electronics hobby scene like computers, etc, or who knows where to find those who are.
    Good luck!

• chinchette
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. That is what I will do Laat2. You put your finger on what it is I need to look for. I do think I have enough good parts.

• boxermom
    9 years ago

Chincette - were you able to repair? I am in similar boat. Bought De Dietrich based upon Gardenweb excitement, and now have two hobs (of 5) not working. Can't find anyone local to repair. Would love info on your process/success of repair.

• inperfecttaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I too, have a DeDietrich DTI309 induction 5 hob cooktop that I bought in 2006 and two hobs are out. When a pot was placed on the hob, The hobs would blink but not work . did you ever get the non working hobs to work and if so, what was the problem. Even if I knew what the problem was, I contacted DeDietrich in England and they are unable to ship parts to the US! Any info you can provide would be appreciated

• plllog
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you do need to order parts, you can probably find a transshipper, even a Mailbox store type of thing, to receive your package and mail it to you.

For everyone with these issues on aging appliances, do also try talking to the repair service at your local good appliance store. Now that there's a lot of penetration of induction into the American marketplace, there should be techs who have had a lot of training, and who might know how to repair your unit. You might only be able to get a consultation--that is, the tech would look at it, tell you the name of the thingummy that's out or if there's a total fail on the inductors or something, and you can see how to open it up, but they might not be allowed to actually work on something that's foreign made. Even so, I'd think that a consultation would be worth the housecall.

• inperfecttaste
    9 years ago

I appreciate your good advice. I will do just that.

• asharding Harding
    3 years ago

I have the same HOB based on the Gardenweb posts as well. Like everyone else, the two medium sized burners have gone out. The two smallest and the largest continue to operate just fine. Love this cooktop but for some reason, the medium burners seem to have an issue with longevity. I've contacted all of the different manufacturers reps and OEM but no one has the parts, any longer, which is unfortunate. I've looked at new HOB's but none of the manufacturers have as nice and simple controls as this HOB.