Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davis_helen

Please review our Appliance Package - brutal feedback welcome!

Davis_Helen
10 years ago

**Posted this in Kitchens and realized it most likely should have been placed here**

We are about to break ground on a new house - this is the first time we have built a home - and will be the house we raise our 2 younger (8 & 10 yo) kids and ultimately retire in over the next 7 - 8 years. We just sold our 1935 Tudor in our old neighborhood in anticipation of building our new home two lots down the street - we love the area and street just wanted the construction and layout and square footage a new house will afford us. So we bought a neighbor house and torn it down. The house will be around 5500 Sq with an open layout on the main floor - kitchen open to great room and dining area. We are not adamant chefs - just a family of 4 that needs the space - and do want a nice kitchen with a large eat around island for family time with our young sons.

I am not all about 'labels' or 'brands' - just looking for appliances that will both look nice and perform well for years to come - would rather spend the $$ for reliance vs a trophy appliance. Just trying to avoid repairs and needing to replace appliances in the first 10+ years if possible.

Would like to get some unfiltered feedback - our main cooking will be just with a range - we don't cook enough nor does the kitchen layout lend itself to wall ovens etc.

So here goes - in the kitchen
American Medallion Series 36 inch DF
Leibheer 36 inch freestanding fridge
Leibheer RU500 uncounter fridge for the island
Sharp Microwave drawer for same island
Bosch SHE3AR7 Dishwasher
Vent-a-hood chimney style ventilation

Game room - entertainment area/wet bar for the kids
Same Bosch dishwasher
GE undercounter beverage center - GVS04BDWSS
Simply upper cabinet mount microwave - just for popcorn and the like

Laundry- LG Front Load washer and dryer - DLEX3470V
WM3470HVA - got very high marks from consumer reports, which I know is not the end all be all authority necessarily.

Putting together a full package with AJMadison that is saving us a bunch of $$ from local retailers - we are right at $20K for the whole batch all in - shipping and no tax

Any thoughts or anything that jumps out that we should either not consider or substitute?

Comments (5)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

This is an odd combination of high end and low end appliances.

You state that you are not adamant chefs but are spending a massive premium for a dual fuel range to get an electric oven, which makes up almost half your budget.

For 99% of people a good gas oven works just as well, much cheaper ,and much cheaper to operate.

If getting an American Range the Performer Series is the one to get. And you can upgrade your game room beverage center to Liebherr and get a much quieter fridge as a result. Plus upgrade your dishwashers.

If the purpose of the dual fuel is because a self-clean oven is an absolute must I would look at Capital Culinarian. Save over $1k for that Liebherr beverage center or upgraded dishwashers. Plus get a motorized rotisserie in your oven.

I love my Liebherr All-Refrigerator.

I love my Sharp MW drawer.

I would absolutely go to your local VAH dealer and see how you clean the hood. Some people like the newer design and some think it is a major PITA to clean.

If looking at low end VAH I would get Best or Kobe.
    If looking at high end VAH I would get Prestige.

There is a laundry forum with experts on those appliances. I don't like LG because of how their customer service deals with recalls and defective machines that should be recalled but are not and their habit of telling customers with problem machines to pound sand.

I would look into the new GE RightHeight laundry. Made in the USA and benchmarked to all the currently USA available laundry machines. If you are not comfortable buying first generation appliances and want something more tried and true I would get the equivalent Samsungs.

• jcmjcm
    10 years ago

Regarding the range, as mentioned above, this is almost half your budget.
    Is your heart set on American Range? Will you get serviced in your area?
    Must you have DF and how often will you use the oven?
    Does a split gas rangetop w/ electric wall oven appeal to you?
    Switching the range could leave room in the budget for upgrades (the DWs and game room frig)
    A 36 in oven is large and will take time to warm up. Leaving you with no smaller side oven or wall oven.
    Suggestions: for 5500Sq home a 48in all gas range or gas range top w/ double electric wall oven, upgrade dw to Miele, upgrade game room frig.
    I believe from your list, high and low end appliances mixed do not disturb you. I hope others chime in and offer some input.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I have had purchased three Bosch dishwashers over time, and none of them had any issues. However, I would consider the 300 or 500 series for the all SS tub and extra sound padding. I just put in a custom-panel version for the first time, to better integrate with the surrounding cabinetry (if that is important to you). If you are concerned with making the handles coordinate between your nearby appliances, you can also investigate the Thermador or Kenmore Elite (certain models) that are made by Bosch.

I had considered VAH but I ended up with Modern-Aire. I'm very pleased. They have the regular baffle filters and a broader range of design options -- at a comparable price or less for a customized hood.

I was considering the Liebher built-ins, but as was pointed out to me, the custom height kind of boxes you into their line if there is ever an issue down the road.

• jakvis
    10 years ago

I tend to agree with everyone regarding upgrading your dishwasher ( at least in the kitchen ).

A dishwasher is typically used daily and with this much use you will appreciate a mid to higher level dishwasher that has good sound deadening. The 300 series may be OK for your game room but you should step up to a 500 or 800 series for your kitchen.

• Davis_Helen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for the feedback - we really appreciate it and will continue to read as we make our final decisions. We have decided to upgrade the dishwashers - at least in the kitchen - and you have given us some things to really think about with the range - we probably will end up with an all gas unit - for the balance of cost and function - since as noted, we are not gourmet cooks or bakers and probably could spend that money more wisely.

Thanks again!