What are your reviews?
Likes dislikes?
any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf steam oven yah or nay?

Hi Sue,

I just ordered a Wolf steam oven this past Saturday, so I'm also looking forward to comments. I did use the steam oven at Clarke Kitchens and loved it. I actually went that day to use the range top and conventional convection ovens. I was making jam on the range top and they suggested I sterilize the jars in the steam oven. It took 10 minutes, rather than boiling them on the stove top - so much easier. I wasn't even thinking of purchasing a steam oven until that day. In the steam oven we also made a baked chicken (which looked and tasted wonderful)and we reheated a pasta dish and stuffed artichoke (both came out very well - much better than a microwave). Of course we also baked bread, rolls and cookies in the conventional ovens, so much fun! Best of luck.
Marilyn

o

Thanks Marilyn for the feedback. It wasn't in my plan at all until i saw some demonstrations at a cooking show. WOW!! I don't use the microwave to cook.
I only use it to reheat food and popcorn. I am wondering if i really even need a microwave?

So when you baked bread, cookies etc. did you just use the convection bake mode only? Could you tell a difference with the outcome as oppossed to a regular electric oven?

Thanks again.

o

Hi Sue,
I have a convection oven now, but I think the Wolf performed better than my Thermador. We used multiple racks at once when baking the cookies and rolls; everything was baked evenly and the rolls were browned on both racks. I can't wait to get my new appliances.
I also only heat up items in the microwave but I will keep it. The steam oven does a much better job, however it does take longer and sometimes you just want something heated up quickly.
Marilyn

o

So has anyone had any experience with the wolf steam oven yet?
Mjocean have you received yours yet?

o

So has anyone had any experience with the wolf steam oven yet?
Mjocean have you received yours yet?

o

We tested it as well and loved it. It has so much more room than the Gagg or the Miele due to the water tank location. Not plumbed like the Gagg or Miele. We were set on the Gagg and now back on the fence. We won't order for another month or so but the Wolf is at the top of the list now.

o

i think i am going to order the Wolf this week. I am debating on weather or not i need a microwave.

o

My wife and I are seriously considering this as part of our kitchen remodel. We went to a wolf/sub-zero cooking demo about a month ago and just loved all the food that they did it in. We did not get to do anything ourselves, but we do love the concept and want to put it in our kitchen if we can fit it in.

Phil

o

Hi Sue,

My kitchen remodel doesn't begin until September 1st as we want to enjoy the summer. The remodel includes an addition and like most renovation projects has grown in scope becoming a 1st floor renovation. I don't think my oven will be installed until December. I really cannot wait to use it the 1st time. Have you made a decision?
Marilyn

o

i am going to purchase one. i am super excited. a little out of my budget but i want to afford it. i really feel i will use it a lot.

o

Sue,

Good for you!! When will yours be installed? I can't wait to hear what you think once you begin using it.
Marilyn

o

Hi Marilyn,
i am hoping to have it installed by July. I can't wait to start using it. i know it will end up being the oven i use more often than the oven in my range.
Thanks for all your posts. If anyone else has a comment, I would love to hear it.

o

Sue & other GWs-does the Wolf steam oven take the place of a microwave? The Wolf site says this oven can handle leftovers very well which is the only purpose I have for a micro.
Thank U!

o

Cooks1818, I went to a Wolf cooking demo and I asked that very question, the answer is yes and no. Yes it can replace a microwave, but it will not be as fast. Think of the steam oven as a slightly faster version of a normal oven. It will not be anywhere near as fast as a microwave. So, it can replace a microwave in terms of the fact that it will reheat your food and do a great job at it, but it will never be as fast as a microwave. We were told a normal reheat for a leftover plate of dinner would be about 15 minutes, give or take in the steam oven from Wolf. Normally that would take me maybe 1-3 minutes in a microwave.

Phil

o

Thank you, philwojo! I guess I have to find a place for a micro.

o

Yea, my wife and I are in the same dilemma we love the idea of the Wolf Steam oven, but are not sure we can live without a microwave. While we don't cook in our micro we do use it for a lot of stuff that we just don't think we could do as easily in a steam oven. That being said we are really leaning toward getting both the Wolf Steam oven and a micro, probably a micro-convection at that just to have yet another small place to cook.

But at least going to the Wolf cooking demo we got to ask our questions so we knew better what to expect from the unit.

Good luck!

o

Hi,

We are also going with the Wolf Steam oven and a micro. I agree, sometimes you just want the speed of a micro.
Marilyn

o

I think given the popularity of steam oven in general it is a win-win for me.
by the time i put left overs in to heat up, set the table, round up the kids, and have them wash for dinner it is easily 20 minutes. the other plus i see is not having to stir the leftovers while its heating up as microwaves, even with a turntable have hot and cold spots.
I bet i use the steam oven more than the range as it is smaller.
I still think i will need a small micro somewhere.
i have gone to two demos and am facinated with what it can do.

o

ordered one last week to serve as my second oven and it will be in sometime in early July. Very excited. Most interesting feature to me - bread baking. I bake a lot and I'm excited to stretch my repertoire beyond the dutch oven round loaf.
Other things I'm excited by: leftover reheating/refreshing, steamed fish, and testing the oven as a sous vide device (tried it with a Wolf Chef at a store and it was very cool.) fun distractions but not the reason for the purchase.

o

We've had ours about 3 weeks and the thing is genius. Heats up very quickly and easy to use. We bought a lot of high end appliances for our remodel and this is by far my favorite and the only thing that seems to do what it claims. I've mostly used it for roasting chicken and veggies, steaming vegetables, and today reheated some pizza that I had previously frozen. if i had to make up something to complain about it would be the cleanup of emptying the water tray and wiping it down. it takes about 30 seconds

o

you do not need to have a water line. it is not plumbed. i installed mine 2 weeks ago and love it. i just wish there was a cook book for it. i know they are working on one but can't wait. i have been making sour dough bread on auto steam bake and it is great. just wish my induction would come in. they say back ordered for 2 more months.

o

I also went to a cooking demo at our local Wolf SubZ showroom, last week. I already wanted the steam oven but DH was resisting. After the demo he was sold on it too. Yay :)

The chefs at the demo pointed out there are 2 things the steam oven can't do that a microwave can: microwave popcorn and heating liquids like a mug of tea or coffee. I still think there will be times I just want to quickly zap something in the microwave so we will still have one in the new kitchen.

The fact that the Wolf is not hooked up to a water line doesn't bother me at all, I think the Gaggenau is the only one that is. The Wolf has a larger oven capacity than the Gagg.

o

For those who are reluctant to commit to steam oven as it might eliminate space for microwave and not provide function that a micro does: I am purchasing the wolf steam oven. I do use my micro every day; for reheating coffee, melting butter, thawing, etc. My solution is to stash a small micro (13"x12",18") in a 15"deep pantry. It is large enough to accommodate a dinner plate. I was not willing to dedicate wallspace or drawer space for a built in Micro. Can't wait for the steam oven, it should be great fun. Buon Appetito

o

For those who are reluctant to commit to steam oven as it might eliminate space for microwave and not provide function that a micro does: I am purchasing the wolf steam oven. I do use my micro every day; for reheating coffee, melting butter, thawing, etc. My solution is to stash a small micro (13"x12",18") in a 15"deep pantry. It is large enough to accommodate a dinner plate. I was not willing to dedicate wallspace or drawer space for a built in Micro. Can't wait for the steam oven, it should be great fun. Buon Appetito

o

Try caplanbooks.com and find their Steam Oven Cookbook. They advertise it is the 1st cookbook with recipes for the steam combi ovens. We just began construction so no steam oven yet. I am loving your comments and can't wait to get our oven. Happy cooking!

o

Try caplanbooks.com and find their Steam Oven Cookbook. They advertise it is the 1st cookbook with recipes for the steam combi ovens. We just began construction so no steam oven yet. I am loving your comments and can't wait to get our oven. Happy cooking!

o

o

o

Thanks, Hjscm and Barry!

I reeeeaally shouldn't have clicked on this thread. When I thought it had to be plumbed I was almost over it...now I'm looking up the videos about it online :)

Does anyone have a price range?

o

Madeline, the dealer near me said pricing on the Thermador and Wolf was similar -right around $3,000.

o

Hi,
I just noticed my comment was posted several times. I'm not sure how I managed to do that, very annoying. Sorry about that!

o

Mjocean, happens all the time, especially lately. Not sure how, but some GW glitch puts posts up 2 and 3 times in a row.

Thanks, Barry. I'm going to go the showroom to take a look today.

Watched the video and read some of the Wolf manuals last night, and it looks like there isn't an option *without* steam. I'd be replacing my everyday 30" wall oven with the steam, leaving me with the oven in my 36" Wolf DF range, which is a bit large for most of my everyday oven use.

Any thoughts on whether y'all will be using te steam oven as your "everyday" oven for roasting veggies and meats, baking things like lasagna and Stromboli, etc? (I make Stromboli a lot, lol).

I know the manual says it does everytjing, but I'm trying to get a handle on whether it truly functions just like a traditional oven but better, or whether it's more of a specialty oven, to be used only for certain things.

o

Madeline, while there is no regular bake, non convection mode, you can choose convection ( which is no steam ), convection humid, or convection steam. In my mind, it can be a substitute for a regular electric oven, mainly because I have not used mine since I got a combi. While convection cooking can dry out foods more than just straight non convection baking, that really isn't an issue with a combi because you can add a little steam if you are afraid it will come out too dry due to convection.

o

Okay, gotcha. I didn't realize there was a straight convection mode. I need to study the online manual a little more closely.

Tks, Barry!

o

Are there any concerns with using the Steam Oven at high altitude? I will be at 6,500 ft in Utah. Everything takes longer to cook at this altitude, so will the pre-programmed recipes be of any use?

Thanks, Lee.

o

i would think it would add some time. i have the miele in my house in tahoe at 5,500' and doing something like artichokes takes about 10 minutes longer than here at sea level.

i looked at recipe site but it is only the ones in the book. none added. do you know when the new book is coming out? also can't find book at caplans.
one more question. does anyone know when the 36" induction are going to be back in stock?

o

I understand why you can't use RO or distilled water in the steam oven, but why not filtered tap water?

We are on a well and have a whole house softener. We also have a chlorinating system and a filter that then removes the chlorine. I'm willing to spend thousands for the oven, yet I don't want to buy bottled water for it.

I suppose I could collect my own mineral water from the outside hose bib, but our untreated well water smells & tastes terrible. I would also think it would be harder on the oven & require descaling more frequently.

o

@mjocean i found the page and the book but there is no where to buy it. i emailed them but have not heard back
thanks

o

@mjocean i found the page and the book but there is no where to buy it. i emailed them but have not heard back
thanks

o

Well our remodel is almost done, but we have use of the appliances now. I used the steam oven over this past weekend to make a roast using the probe and the roast turned out perfect. We then made some cookies last night and I tried both the steam oven and the Wolf L-series and they both did a great job. Still have a lot of learning and testing to do, but love the Steam oven so far, can't wait to try some bread in it.

Phil

o

I see you have Wolf steam and L series ovens. This is exactly what we are considering for our kitchen remodel. Did you stack them in your kitchen. If so, are there trim kits available for steam to match 30"? Or 36"? Wall ovens. The steam oven appears to be smaller.

o

Is the Wolf steam oven worth $800 more than Thermador? That seems to be how the prices are shaking out although I can't get a solid price on the Wolf, just "more-or-less". Is it really worth the extra?

o

Ellessebee, I can't comment on the Thermador as I don't have it, but so far we love our Wolf Steam oven. It has been great to use and we look forward to learning more about it and using it even more. Have you compared the two in terms of sizes and features?

Phil

o

I would not put the steam oven under an island since it will probably see much more use than the regular wall oven. I would want it so I don't have to bend over to use it - though that may be a personal preference.

o

Thanks Barryv, I had the same thought. I'm sick of my current look with the stacked ovens, but I guess that really is still the best option.

o

Marie29, we went with a 30" L-series oven, and wolf steam oven and the wolf micro-convection oven.

We put the 30" L-series on the end of our island and it is great there.

We then put the steam oven and the micro stacked on one another with the steam oven on the bottom. It seems to have worked out great for us at least. The micro is about at eye level for me, and I'm 6'1" tall. It puts the steam oven at a great level for my wife and I (she is 5'4") and when you pull the door down it is very easy to access everything in it.

Phil

o

Phil, thanks for sharing your set-up. That sounds ideal; we still haven't drawn up the final plans, so I think we'll change to the same configuration.

o

Any news about a cookbook?

o

Is there an option to plumb it in? How often do you wind up refilling the water?

o

I went to a few high end appliance shops in Scottsdale to look at various steam ovens after doing some research online. I had learned about the Sharp Steam-Microwave-Convection oven while doing my research. What I found out is that 2 employees at one shop and one employee at another shop had the Sharp; they all loved it. After hearing that, I just couldn't justify spending that much money when I could buy the Sharp for $549 on Amazon (it is black, but it has a stainless steal handle and you can buy a built in kit). That's what I ended up with and I'm happy with it.

o

We selected all Wolf/Subzero appliances...should move in sometime in October. We decided to put our microwave in our walk in pantry - we really only use it to make popcorn or re-heat coffee. That way, I don't have to pay all the extra money for a built in microwave that costs close to $1,000. I can buy a cheapy for $80 and hide it in the pantry. I didn't want to waste counter top space either.

o

Hi Sue et al... Just installed our steam oven yesterday. Just for kicks to check it out, we put a TJ's frozen french style flat bread with caramelized onions and gruyere (almost like a puff pastry style crust). In our conventional wolf oven it is good but oh my, the layers puffed up and the crust was perfect in the steam oven. We used the Wolf Gourmet setting. We are trying chicken tonight. I agree with folks that there aren't many recipes but this thing does a lot of the thinking for you.... So far; so good.

o

Hi Phil,
If you are still checking this, would you mind posting a picture of your micro and steam stack. I've been trying to figure out how to make it all work together and that sounds like a great option.
Thank you!

o

If anyone is still checking this, I'd love to know your thoughts after a year or so of owning the steam oven. I am looking at it also.

o

We have had our Wolf steam oven since May, and I'm really impressed with what it can do. I've tried several of the sample recipes, and they have turned out well (fish rolls, fish in puff pastry, chicken); it also does rice and baked potatoes to perfection.

That said, I do feel that I am not using it to its capacity. The main reason is that it's so hard to find any recipes. I've found some on the miele website, but it would be great if Wolf would develop a cookbook specifically for their product.

I've just started trying my own recipes with some adaptations (and crossed fingers!), and now I'm finding that I'm not even using my beautiful new L series wall oven anymore. The steam/convection combination does everything so well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here