Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janjan212

Dishwashers: Viking Display or Miele? What would you do?

janjan212
11 years ago

I had my mind made up to get a Miele Dishwasher (don't have model info in front of me) but it was the one of the lower end models. Sells for about 1500.00 .

When I got there, they have several display models for sale as they remodel some of the showroom. They have a Viking display dishwasher (retails for 1799.00 I think) for about 900 bucks. Tempting. There is not a lot of info out there on them. In fact, when I googled the exact model # (now discontinued) I got exactly 2 reviews. One was 5 star, the other 1 star. I was told I would get 100% warranty as if it was new.

Everything I saw about the Viking was appealing, except it didn't have the cutlery rack. I started it up, it was very quiet but did not stay for the entire wash so I don't know how well it cleans. The salesman, that has been very upfront with me (talking me out of many appliances I *thought I wanted, that would have made him more money) tells me it as a very nice dishwasher at an amazing price. I feel confident in the Miele,but the price savings for the Viking is so very tempting with our small budget. I just don't want a dud. Would you go for the Viking to save 600 bucks? This is not our forever home...if the Viking cleans well, trouble free and quietly for at least 5 years we'd be good....

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Viking Range recalls dishwashers due to fire hazard

Sold nationwide from June 2010 through March 2012

Updated: Monday, 23 Apr 2012, 8:42 AM EDT
    Published : Monday, 23 Apr 2012, 8:42 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (CPSC) - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Viking dishwashers

Units: About 2,000

Manufacturer: Viking Range Corporation of Greenwood, Miss.

Hazard: An electrical component in the dishwasher can overheat, posing a fire hazard.
    Incidents/Injuries: Viking has received 21 reports of incidents, including five reports of property damage from fires. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recall includes Viking 24" Professional, Designer and Custom Panel dishwashers manufactured between May and September 2010. They were sold in black, white and 24 other custom colors, stainless steel and with custom wood panels. The name "Viking" appears on the control panel at the top of the door. The model and serial number are located on the identification plate mounted on the inside on the left side of the dishwasher door opening. The first six numbers in the serial number are the manufacture date in mmddyy format, e.g., serial number 052610 was manufactured on May 26, 2010. Model and manufacture dates included on this recall are:

Model Numbers Starting With* :

�DDB325
    �DFB450
    �VDB325
    �VDB450

Date Codes - first six digits of serial number:
    �052610 through 091510

* Model numbers ending with an E are not included on the recall.

Sold at: Appliance and specialty retail stores nationwide from June 2010 through March 2012 for between $1,425 and $2,000.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled dishwashers and contact Viking's hotline for a free in-home repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Viking toll-free at (800) 241-7239 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday or visit Viking's website at

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would run the other way from Viking.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• janjan212
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Deeageaux. I found this during my research so I got the model and serial # 's from the store and checked them out. It is not part of the recall. I believe in the article I read it said there had been no actual fires or damages reported.

It made me leery and It's in the back of my mind, but I hate to have that be the only reason I pass on this deal since it didn't even involve the model I'm considering. There are recalls on things all the time. My Lexus had a recall and it's been the best car I ever owned.

• ex007
    11 years ago

We have a Miele, and they are as good as everyone claims. However, if you are only going to be in the house for ~5 years, I would buy the Viking and save the $600.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

There are recalls on floor mats then there are recalls about fire hazards.There were 21 reported "incidents" including 5 reports on property damages resulting from fire. Viking does not sell that many dishwashers.

You should buy a dishwasher from a company that has a core compentency in dishwashers. Viking started making dishwashers in 2006. Miele made its first dishwasher in 1929. Toyota,maker of Lexus,was founded in 1937.

Any Viking dishwasher is a bad bet,including those that are not part of the recall. This is America. Consumers are free to make bad bets.

Below is link to Bosch Evolution 500 series. $780 delivered.I would much rather have this dishwasher than the Viking.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• mojavean
    11 years ago

Deeageaux, another superb analysis with some excellent references to alternatives for this poster. Your contributions here are greatly appreciated, sir.

• foodonastump
    11 years ago

I'm less impressed with the analysis if only due to the date-dropping. Surely we wouldn't see that from Dee on a BS/CC thread, would we? That said, I love my 90's era Miele and doubt I'd buy another brand of DW unless my flip was closer to five months than five years.

My sister did a Miele-to-Bosch "downgrade" a couple years ago and hasn't been convinced it was worth the few bucks she saved. I wish I could quote models for reference, but I can't.

• janjan212
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll likely stick with the one I have confidence in, the one I went in to buy in the first place, the Miele. Mostly because my little update is so full of compromises that when it's possible to get what I truly wanted without breaking the bank, I think I should allow myself to. The practical side of me says I should take what "should be" near equal in quality, and save the money towards something else in my update though.

I totally agree the Viking is a gamble but I also believe it was/is worth consideration. Heck, the $350.00 Whirlpool the former owners installed in 2006 is still in and fully operational. Sure, I want to replace it. It doesn't clean as well as I'd like, and it is louder than I'd like too... but it's been used 1-2 times a day without the need for repair over the past 6 years. So in my situation, I would assume the Viking would do what the Whirlpool has for the time I need it to. I would just hope it did a better job, and more quietly.

I spoke to another salesperson at the appliance store today about Viking dishwashers. He said they usually sell them to people buying an entire Viking appliance package, rather than to someone that just comes in looking for a dishwasher alone. He said those sales are usually Miele, Asko or Bosch. He added that of the Viking dishwashers they have sold, he has not heard of any complaints about their performance or service issues. I heard for myself how quiet it was.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

I'm less impressed with the analysis if only due to the date-dropping. Surely we wouldn't see that from Dee on a BS/CC thread, would we?

I am not very impressed with your comparison between dishwashers and gas ranges.

You have very small American and French firms that make excellent gas ranges.

You don't have very small firms that make excellent dishwashers. To make dishwashers meet current water/electricity regulations while maintaining long term reliablity requires very large R&D budgets. Even larger R&D budgets in the car industry.

There are no such requirements for gas ranges. Gas ranges are at the core of Bluestar and Capital's competency. And although no company is perfect their reputations stand testament to that analysis.