Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BS high backguard/shelf oven vent location

Posted by rokahn (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 1:44

I'm considering a Blue Star range with a high (24") backguard and high shelf. In this configuration, where does the oven vent:
1. at the height of the burners or
2. does the high backguard contain a channel to conduct oven gases through the shelf and vent directly above, or
3. something I'm not thinking of?

The range I'm considering comes with island trim so I'd have to discard that and purchase the high backguard. Do others recommend this high backguard/shelf configuration or should I just install a generic sheet of stainless and a stainless shelf to backsplash instead of these expensive BlueStar accessories?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BS high backguard/shelf oven vent location

It extends the duct up to the top of the splash. If you havent already try to look at one of these. It wasn't what I was expecting. The shelf looks flimsey and out of place to me. The reason I was interested was that I was trying to make a salamander easier to install later if I wanted one. I thought you could set it on the shelf but you can't. The salamander wall mount screws into studs and the high splash would have to be removed. So I got a capped gas connection and a close by 120v jack at the salalmnder site 55" above the floor.

There's also an issue with disrupting airflow into the hood. The shelf has holes in it but it still has to have some effect. I don't think anybody on this board has ever given us a first hand report on this.

o
RE: BS high backguard/shelf oven vent location

I would add that surprising to me and to the experimenters who wrote a paper on this topic, a measurement of the effect of a shelf over a commercial range ventilated by a commercial hood revealed very little capture loss due to the presence of the shelf. I imagine that this result may need to be caveated by a dozen factors relating to hood size, flow rate, and presence or lack of side curtains (or cabinets), so I would only consider it positive news, not a guarantee.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here