Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Fridge search by Energy Use

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

Is there a way to search for a fridge based on how much energy it requires? I want to use a fridge with that isn't an energy guzzler. It's not enough that it's "Energy Star". I know that top freezer models are the most energy efficient (e.g., 400-480 kwh per year to operate, which works out to about $40-$50 if you look at the energy guide). For the longest time, I ruled out sxs and French Door fridges for this reason. Now I came across the Maytag Ice2o EcoConserve line that has some French Doors that uses only 474 kwh per year ($50 estimated yearly operating cost).

So I'm wondering if there are other French Doors out there that might not be as bad as I thought, but I have no idea how to find them.

I'm still not convinced I like French Doors, there are a lot of drawbacks for me (including the bottom freezer; I'm short, I don't mind the fridge on the bottom). BUT, I am frustrated because all the top freezer models have a smaller capacity than so many of the French Door models.

So, anyone have any ideas how to find a low-energy using fridge? Does any website allow you to search using this feature? Does anyone have one they recommend that is truly energy efficient? TIA.

Comments (3)