Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any opinions of Thermador CIS365GB induction cooktop?

Posted by jadeite (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 0:45

The Thermador CIS365CB is a 36" induction cooktop with "SensorDome", a "retractable sensor" which "measures the heat of the pot". Supposedly this sensor maintains the temperature of the pot precisely. Does anyone know if this feature works? Does anyone have an opinion of this cooktop?

The dealer knows very little about this cooktop, although they recommend Thermador highly. All I have is a description from the company website. I have yet to see a Thermador induction cooktop in person.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any opinions of Thermador CIS365GB induction cooktop?

See if you can find a higher end model of the Bosch induction cooktop. I think it may have something similar (called "AutoChef", maybe?) that's somehow supposed to keep your pan at a relatively constant temperature, say, as you put cold stuff in it. Presumably it monitors the pan and cranks up heat as needed, to maintain a relatively constant temperature.

Not sure how similar Thermador's "SensorDome" thingy is -- if its similar at all -- but its worth having a look.

A different (still more expensive) Thermador cooktop allows you to put pans anywhere you want on the cooktop surface. There have been discussions of this (very new, maybe not yet available) model here (search below). Some people think this is really cool; others think its worse than a hula hoop. Can you imagine that? But I digress...

o
RE: any opinions of Thermador CIS365GB induction cooktop?

Chac_mool - I have the Bosch on my list. Their Autochef is supposed to keep frying at a safe temperature. I can't tell if you can set the temperature you want, or if there's a "fry" setting. I'm off to look at some Bosch cooktops later, but I don't know if the dealer has one hooked up so I can play with it.

The SensorDome sounds like you can set the temperature to whatever you want. If it works as I imagine, I think it would have lots of utility. You could set the temp for caramel, or the setting point for custards. Right now I do these with thermopen in one hand, stirring with the other.

No-one seems to have Thermador cooktops in stock and the dealers are clueless. Yes, I was told about the Freedom cooktop but they haven't been released yet. The MRSP is also sky high ($4999 + tax). I'd need a lot of convincing to part with that kind of $$.

Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here