Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pk66

Vacuum Cleaner for Hardwood Floors

pk66
11 years ago

Hi,

We remodeled and put in hardwood floors through out the house. No carpet anywhere now! All I have now is hardwood, porcelain, and travertine.

Is there a special vacuum for hardwood floors or can I use my old vacuum cleaner. I used it once in a little area and it seems fine - but maybe after a while of using it it might show scratches that I'm not not noticing now - not sure.

If I do need a "special" vacuum for hardwood floors, please let me know your recommendations and hopefully it will work for porcelain and travertine too!

Thanks

Comments (9)

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Best thing is probably a "Swiffer" actually.
    But if you must vacuum then I think most any will work without scaring up the floor.

Our vacuum has a hardwood floor attachment that dust as it vacuums.
    the Shark Liftaway Pro.

• bill102
    11 years ago

I use a 1974 Electrolux and their floor brush attachment. I replaced the brush about twenty years ago. The newer brush has notches in the leading brush (kind of looks like a six year old with missing teeth) which lets the dust bunnies get sucked uo easier. With old brush you had to stop and suck them off. You still have to do that with the new brush but just not as often.

The Swiffer works well too for light dust or a quick dusting

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Swiffer-Vac--it vacs & dustmops all at the same time. Love mine! Vac catches the Froot Loops that never seem to make in the cereal bowl as well as the dust bunnies & dirt from DH's & DS1's work boots and the swiffer takes care of the dust, fine dirt, and stray hairs. It can be used on hardwoods, tile, vinyl, etc. You can get it for ~$35-40 at Wal-Mart or Target--if you pop open the box, there's a coupon for $7 off inside.

Hope this helps!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I have a central vac and honestly it's so much easier to pull out the swiffer vac. I have one on each end of the house, because the battery charge doesn't last that long. Just wish they made it in the wide version like the regular swiffer.

LOVE that thing. I use it constantly.

Oh and I turn the cleaning cloths over and use each side before I dispose of them. Both sides work equally well.

• pk66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great thanks guys. Will go to target and buy the Swifter-Vac just in time for my cleaning lady.

• BentleyM
    11 years ago

We remodeled our current house a couple of years ago and removed 95% of the carpet. We still used our Dyson on the hardwoods, just turned the brush off. Works like a charm. My wife will also bust out the micro fiber "broom".

• CarrolChampion
    11 years ago

I can personally recommend the Miele Olympus Canister Vacuum.

I did A LOT of research and finally decided on this vacuum and I'm so happy with it. It's not loud like the others I looked at, it has many suction options, works fantastic on wood floors, tile and large area rugs. Another great thing is that it is light only 13lbs, easy to maneuver and it cleans SO WELL, you will not be disappointed with this vacuum.

Miele is a German company that has been tried and true.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Olympus Canister Vacuum

• hjscm
    11 years ago

i have a central vac and highly recommend one for hardwood floors. so easy. i have placed a couple of dust pans that fit into kick board so you cant see them. just sweep towards them and hit lever with my foot and vac turns on and sucks up all the dirt, hair, whatever i sweep towards it. don't need pull a vacuum out just a little broom. they have different styles. i have one on one side of kitchen that has a bigger opening for the big stuff and smaller ones in other parts of house.

• fabbric
    11 years ago

Highly recommend a Miele canister vacuum. I have been using one for 5 years and it's fantastic on hardwood floors.