Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French Door Whirlpool ... or ... ?

Posted by simanco (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 0:24

Howdy all,

It looks like we might be in the market for a new 'fridge. Sunday morning we had 60 degree milk. Mr. Appliance Repairman's fix doesn't seem to have solved all the issues, so I'm searching for something new, just in case.

I live in the middle of nowhere in Southeastern Kentucky, so major showrooms are out. Extremely high-end brands or "pro" models are out, due to the area as well as the price.

I went looking today at what we do have locally (Whirlpool and Frigidaire are apparently it) and the Whirlpool Gold French Door comes highly recommended. It looks like a quality unit.

If we are going with something new, I have few requirements: ice and water in the door, a good water filter built in and hopefully quiet enough I won't notice it 30 feet away.

Is there anything else that deserves consideration in the ~$2000 range?

I also notice that AJMadison has these things for a good $400-$600 less than local. As anyone ordered a 'fridge through them? Opinions?

Thanks!
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French Door Whirlpool ... or ... ?

I know that there are some new GE models coming out, being made now, but I think they are aiming for a June release, so that's too far off for you. I've heard good things about the LG french door models, so you may want to check them out.

o

I'd go with the whirlpool. LG had some serious energy star issues over the past few years. I think their french door models were way over on energy consumption. Not just not energy star qualified, but actually not efficient enough to be imported into the US. And there are lots of customer service issues if you google. Not that whirlpool is without any issues. Bells and whistles on LG at least.

o

We have had a Whirlpool Gold 25 CF french door fridge since moving into our new home 3 years ago. It is the best refrigerator I've ever used; quiet (even the ice maker), consistent temperatures, convenient layout, easy to clean. No service issues so far. We recessed the wall behind it, making it 'counter depth'. You are welcome to spend $6000-8000 on a high-end icebox if that's what it takes to make you feel special, but it won't do it's job any better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here