Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abd1_gw

Frustrated with my BlueStar

abd1
12 years ago

I have a 30" RCS range. I've had it for about 3 years. When I first got it I remember the over door getting warm but not too hot. However, last year that door began getting stuck to the point that it actually got bent by having to yank so hard to open it. I contacted BlueStar and even though I was out of warranty, without issue they shipped me a new door. We were happy. It had vent openings along the top whereas the original didn't. This door worked flawlessly until this week and it now is getting stuck. I've also noticed that this door does heat up, along with the knobs and lip above the knobs if the over is on for more than 30 minutes. It gets hot enough that I make sure to keep my 4 and 2 year olds out of the kitchen. It may not be hot enough to burn just by touching but if you left a hand on it for 4-5 seconds it would, it would definately hurt my kids if they touched it. I don't have a good tool to take the temp, but all I can say is its uncomfortably hot. It also seems to be taking forever for the oven to heat up, even though I haven't timed this.

I love my range (when its working), but right now I'm currently concerned about keeping it. Since we've bought it we've replaced the over door once, the entire electrical system shorted out and had to be rewired, we've replaced 2 ignitors, one of the rack glides on the inside wall has broken off, one of the original racks that came with the range was bent and couldn't be used, the front burners don't ignite if you've recently turned on the oven because there's too much steam coming off the oven that the igniter is wet. Oh yeah, and the rivets holding together the oven floor have all busted off because the steel on the oven floor piece was flexing from heating up and cooling down. I've been defending this range and love the burner performance, cast iron top, and oven capacity, but now it looks like we need our 3rd door in as many years. Once I look at all these problems together I'm thinking I shouldn't have to deal with this for a $3000 range. Right now I'm thinking of posting it on craigslist for $1000 as is and looking to start over. Maybe I'll post this on a new thread and see if anyone has any ideas, but I doubt I'm alone with some of these problems.

Should I look into selling it? Even if I contact BlueStar and they send another door, how long will that one last? Will I need a new door every year?

Comments (8)

• RoxySD
    12 years ago

What if you contact Bluestar and explain all these issues, just as you have here? Maybe they would send out someone to repair and just charge you for parts? Maybe they will say it's not repair-able and call it a lemon? [And give you a new one!] I know, wishful thinking, right. Well, it's worth a try to ask and see what they say. There's obviously more going on here than just a bad door. Good luck.

• alexrander
    12 years ago

I know they were shipping out replacement doors with different venting slots on the side, to help alleviate the the hinge problem, but I think they just got the new hinges that really fix the problem, so they would send you a new door with new hinges.

The older ranges had a bad module for the ignitors, and it seems like you have that fixed now. The rack guides just lift out from the oven if it needs to be replaced, or maybe it was replaced.

The oven floor isn't held together with rivets, but perhaps you mean the angle stock that the floor side edges rest on. If a rivet is broken, a sheet metal screw can be used.

Call Bluestar about the door, they have the problem fixed now.

• parrym
    12 years ago

I feel your pain, abd1.

I've had a 30" RNB for 2.5 years now. The door got stuck last fall and I had it replaced. New hinges, new venting they said. Turns out the venting was the same and the hinges were no better. It worked fine until last month when it stuck again. New hinges they say. We'll see when the new door gets here. I'm not so confident in their fixes or the long term reliability of the product.

Part of me would like to dump it and get something else, but I just can't take the financial hit. The rest of the range, now (new burner valves, new oven glow plug, new oven thermostat), works great... except for the exploding broiler (which I hear they have a 'fix' for).

The one thing I can say is that they got the burners right.... beyond that, not so much.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Question: are you lubbing the hinges at all or is this happening regardless?

-Stooxie

• abd1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had an appliance repair guy come out when the entire electrical system on my range was replaced. He "lubed" the hinges but it hardly made a difference. My door was so stuck that I literally dragged the range away from the wall trying to open it, and as you know its a heavy range.

Parrym -- our ranges are twins. Agreed, love the burners (when it lights), not happy with the rest. I'll try and call BlueStar tomorrow. Did they charge you for the doors? I was surprised that last time they didn't even try to charge me and they just asked for my address and shipped out a new one. Its got to be costing them a ton to be sending out doors, but they know that its cheaper to do that than get involved in a class action suit.

• spartywarren
    12 years ago

Parrym & Abd1: I really feel your pain, any updates?

I'm also frustrated with my BlueStar. I bought the range 2 years ago and have experienced many problems. My exploding broiler has been serviced several times and I am currently awaiting a part for the 3rd or 4th repair. (Broiler ignitor & bracket replaced--twice, gas valve replaced etc.) The oven ignitor has been replaced (repairman stated it was probably from spraying the oven w/oven cleaner). I find it ironic that a stove of this caliber cannot handle oven cleaner (I only used the oven cleaner once.) Other replaced parts include: convection fan (vibration noise that would continuously increase and decrease in volume), oven bottom surface replaced (due to banging), oven door replaced (hinges were starting to "stick"). My new oven door seems flimsy in comparison to the original & has a slight rattle to it when it opens (repairman didn't see anything wrong with this). Also there were wires hanging below the kickplate and underneath the burners (repaired).

In addition to the above, my experience with the BlueStar service department has been less than stellar. There have been unreturned phone messages, parts sent to the wrong address, and damaged parts received by the service company.

At this point with all the "repairs" I feel I have a totally different product, one that has been patched up with bandaids. Would it be too much to ask for a replacement stove (my warranty expires the end of the month) or for a refund (haha)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Try emailing Mandy at Bluestar. (mlopez@bluestarcooking.com)
    She's been great with helping customers reslove problems.

• eurekachef
    12 years ago

I have a BS rangetop, so I can't comment on the oven. But the burners are great!