Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Induction cooktop for a rental?

golddust
9 years ago

We are closing escrow on a rental home in a neighboring town with a large population of Medical Purofessionals and Military.

We were fortunate enough to get a great deal on a home in the best neighborhood with lots of benefits. Great schools, low crime, etc the house is a half block away from huge (old money) Estates.

We want to attract good tenants and the house has great amenities overall. The kitchen has a wonderful layout and is impeccable but the appliances and tile are dated. We don't want to replace the tile right now. (It's bisque in color)
I admit to wanting to make a tenants day with a great kitchen, etc.
The seller's decision to take the refrigerator but leave the other appliances triggered a whole kitchen appliance update. In a crazy situation that worked in our favor, the house appraised for $30,000 more than the price we negotiated. In a tight market.

anyway, in our journey, we ran across an induction cooktop (Electrolux) for a giveaway price and are tempted to pick it up for the rental. The local appliance store is holding it for us while we research induction. We know little about induction cooking.

Tonight, all I know is there is a slight learning curve. It's 'green' cooking... People love it but we should not trash the cooktop that is there in case of a problem.

Thoughts and advice are so welcome!!!

Comments (5)

• jebrooks
    9 years ago

I went through most of my life with a couple of cast iron skillets and a bunch of aluminum and non-magnetic stainless cookware. I would have hated to wind up with an induction cooktop in a rental. Only the cast iron would have worked.

As you describe it, your rental is in an upscale area, so you might be fine targeting the All-Clad/Le Crueset crowd. Just be aware that you will be creating a barrier for otherwise quality renters who don't want to buy new cookware just to move into a rental.

• plllog
    9 years ago

You can get a decent set of induction ready cookware for a couple hundred dollars. Let the tenants keep 'em if they stay a couple of years. I think that if you provide a set with a page or two explaining induction cooking, you'll satisfy those in the lovely amenities crowd who aren't already familiar with induction. You'll lose the one who won't cook in anything but granny's heirloom Mauviel, but, in general, I'd guess that being open to induction cooking would be a good desirability test for tenants. And Kelly Ripa advertises induction, nowadays, so surely most people have at least heard of it.

No one likes other kinds of glass cooktops much, so the lovely amenities alternative is open flame gas. For you, as a landlord, the cleanliness and safety of induction is a big win.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It's a personal decision, but I'll share my opinion since I'm a landlord also. I would never put an induction cooktop or range in a rental. I usually just put in the cheapest possible appliances I can find that are available in stainless steel and aren't complete bottom of the line apartment grade trash (usually ends up being Frigidaire or Whirlpool) and have the basic features that many people expect these days like self clean and maybe even a glass radiant cooktop.

The one exception to this was on my "high end" rental where I put a Jenn Air package w/ prostyle range. Still not top of the line, but a big step up. However, I did this because there is a big difference in many people's minds between a 30" electric range and a large gas pro range when they see a kitchen.

In your case, I don't think having an induction cooktop would make any difference to the type of tenants you attract or the rent you can charge. They look exactly the same on the outside as radiant cooktops. Most people I've talked to about them don't even know what an induction cooktop is. I wouldn't at all call it a "lusted after" item. Plus, there is the issue with cookware as mentioned above, and when it breaks (because just like all appliances, it eventually will) it will be much more expensive to repair.

The one time I would put an induction cooktop in a rental is if it were a vacation or seasonal rental where I might be spending a significant amount of time myself and wanted to enjoy the benefits of induction.

• dan1888
    9 years ago

With a good price for the unit and if you supply some cookware I would recommend going ahead. You will have a quality component not usually available. Once your tenants use it, it becomes part of the attractiveness that will help keep them there long-term.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I would not do it. I think a lot of prospective tenants won't know what induction is. And many of those won't bother to research it and understand that it is great, instead they will think of it as a smooth top radiant electic cooktop and be unimpressed.

The cookware issue just makes it worse. No one will want to buy new cookware for a rental. And if you supply it, I think you will have to supply new for each new tenant because people will be turned off by used cookware. And some will want stainless and some will want non-stick and some will want cast iron. And no one will want to have to store the set you provide and the stuff they already have.

I guess the exception would be if this is supposed to be a furnished and very high end rental. Then the cookware would be expected anyway and perhaps the prospective tenants would already know about induction? I'm not sure induction has suffient market saturation even at the high end for most people to recognize it though.

I also think there is a bit of a risk of tenants not taking proper care of the cooktop and scratching it. A gas cooktop seems less prone to damage, I think.

I love my induction range and never want to go back to gas, but I think induction is just too new and too complicated in terms of the pots and pans situation to be a plus in a typical rental.