Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janjan212

Did you pay retail for your appliances?

janjan212
11 years ago

I have an opportunity to purchase an Electrolux Icon double oven set (Designer Series) that is a never installed display model at an appliance store. I was quoted about 1k off the retail price I'm finding on websites. It seems like a great deal. However, if I were to get them brand new in the box, would I really expect to pay the retail price? I also believe they have discontinued this design, so would one expect to see discounted close out deals on these as well?

I know certain brands, Miele for one, have set prices (I was told they would/could lose their ability to sell the brand if they didn't follow the pricing set by the company ....they may or may not follow that, but they were not dealing when I asked) Is this true for the Icons?

I've seen plenty of sales for appliances in places like Lowes, Sears etc. In this store however, there were no "sales" signs that I saw. They did have an outlet store with open box, discontinued, scratch and dent etc, and were remodeling so they had some deals on display models.

Just trying to judge how good this deal is, and if I should act quickly....

Comments (6)

• elyash
    11 years ago

Definitely act quickly. Electrolux penalizes stores who sell below MSRP.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I paid less than regular retail for all my appliances--Sharp MW drawer, Rangecraft hood, CC rangetop, KA built-in fridge, KA warming drawer, and Wolf L ovens. The ovens were floor models at an appliance store I had worked with along the way. It was too good a deal to pass up for the ovens I coveted. I've had zero problems with them.

I second the suggestion to jump on your deal!

• ex007
    11 years ago

We bought all of our appliances well below retail - Miele DW, Jenn Air MW drawer, Wolf rangetop & hood, and Electrolux double oven and warming drawer. In fact, our Electrolux DO was a display model that we got for less than 50% of retail; our WD was a return that was NIB that we got for less than $200. Wouldn't hesitate to buy floor models again.

In other words, go for it.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

I bought a $2100 retail price kitchen aid stainless steel french door fridge at HH Gregg for $1149 or $1199 something like that. It was a floor model not dented at all. They were not going to carry that KA model anymore and that's why it was on close out. The only things wrong with it was a broken drawer slide and cracked door shelf but they ordered those parts new before delivery for me.

IF not for finding that deal I would have gotten a less expensive side by side and not been as happy with it. $1200 plus delivery and warranty was all I had budgeted to spend on that item while what I lusted after was 2100-2500. buying floor model got I what really wanted into my price. I say buy it.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Our Samsung induction range was a floor model, and it was a great deal. If it is what you really want, you've got to move on it. It came with a manual but no broiler pan, no problem to get a replacement.

• janjan212
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I pulled the trigger this morning and let the salesman know I will be taking the ovens. Thanks for all the advice. It actually ended up being about 1350 off the Min Ad Pricing for this area and being a display appliance They would not discount deeper since it was not in a 'live' kitchen, essentially new, just not in the box. There were no scratches/dents that I saw anywhere. I am thrilled with the decision.