Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magfinn_gw

Double ovens - both convection?

magfinn
10 years ago

Hi there. We're remodeling our kitchens and I'm in the process of making a final decision on our wall ovens. I am going to go with 30" double ovens...we're looking at the Miele (both ovens are convection) and the Thermador (we would need to pay extra for both ovens to have convection). Can some of you share when you use both ovens in convection mode? I am leaning towards both ovens having convection but want to make sure I don't kick myself down the road for paying for something I don't really use a whole lot. All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• plllog
    10 years ago

Are you pushing your budget to afford these ovens? Or are they within the amount you've allotted for appliances? Are you shaking the sofa cushions (metaphorically) to get everything you want, or are you just against spending the money on principle?

I ask, because you're looking at the whole question differently than I would. It's not would I kick myself for spending money I had available for something I'd rarely use, but would I kick myself for not getting a feature that was really useful sometimes in order to save a buck or two.

What I'm reading into the situation is that if you were really pushing and squeezing your pennies to be able to afford a really nice oven, you'd be saying "I can have the Thermador if I don't get the double convection option and I can make that work," rather than just asking if you could save some money.

So, you asked what's it for:
    Holiday cookie party with three or more trays in each oven, you have a chance of finishing before midnight. Multiple pie type dishes or casseroles that do better in hot air than directional heating. Cookies and pies both at the same time. Hors d'oeurves for sixty people because your niece can't afford a wedding hall and you can't say no to her sweetie face. Turkey and all the fixin's. Turkey in one and vegan in the other. And don't forget the part where most of the time you really only need convection in one oven, but it's in the wrong one!!! (Not saying it is, but isn't it always that way?)

Addition: I forgot to say that I rarely don't use convection. In my main oven I use it with bottom heat for an awful lot of stuff, and with broiler, and occasionally by itself. My secondary ovens both have special functions, but when they're being plain old ovens the only thing they do is convection. It's good stuff. :)

I do not use convection for delicate, brioche style, breads, souffles, eggwhite rising cakes, and occasional other things that would try to dry out or fall with the fan on. I was worried about it with choux paste puffs (like cream puff shells) but they're a bit tougher and it worked fine, and so did multiple trays of them. In my big oven I think a souffle might even be okay in convection, but I don't feel the need to try. :) There are other ovens that can't do it.

This post was edited by plllog on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 4:15

• saeyedoc
    10 years ago

I'd get one convection oven and a combi steam oven, more flexibility.

• stevep2005
    10 years ago

We have the double convection 30" Thermador. They are identical in size and function, use them interchangeably, and occasionally both are running in one of the convection modes at the same time. I agree with plllog that the question is about budget an affordability. If you can afford both ovens to be convection, then it is certainly more convenient and adds flexibility. If the budget is tight or better spent elsewhere, then you can live without both being convection.

Eight years ago when we did our kitchen we were between Miele and Thermador. While I loved the idea of built in rotisserie and some of the smart features of the Miele, I opted for the larger interior capacity of the Therm and saved some $ in the process. As it has turned out, I often utilize the larger oven size and never even use the smart features of the Therm - so for me, I have never regretted the savings and the missing features.

• magfinn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Appreciate greatly your responses...thank you. Decided on Miele...looking forward to cooking in our new kitchen!