Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxiebabe

GE Profile Dishwasher - won't dry my dishes

boxiebabe
16 years ago

We had our new GE Profile dishwasher installed last Friday. It's quiet as a mouse. That, I love.

However - what I don't love is that it's not drying my dishes. I've tried over and over and although the dishes are clean - they're as wet as if there was no drying going on in there at all.

I've done what the trouble-shooting manual says. I've been sure to run the water in the sink until it's hot before starting the dishwasher. I have also made sure that the "heated dry" button is lit. I have also run it with both the "heated dry" and "added heat" button lit.

I've run all of the above on "normal cycle" and "speed cycle" - same outcome.

Still... soaking wet dishes.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help,

---Boxie

Comments (48)

• sparky823
    16 years ago

What temp is your water? You may need to set your water heater up a notch. Try running the dishwasher on the "sani rinse" since this heats to 160 and see if they are drier. Is your heating element working? During the dry cycle with the heat dry on I would open the door and put my hand next to the element to see if it seemed hot. Maybe it isn't working.

Also did you put Jet Dry in the dispenser?and also if the setting is adjustable you can dial it up a notch or two. I also like the Jet Dry Turbo. It makes my dishes dry completly, even plastics and this is on the no heat dry. Try fiddling with these few things and if it isnt better I would call GE. Also what kind of detergent are you using?

• cpovey
    16 years ago

I agree-are you using a drying agent like Jet Dry? To meet current Energy standards, most if not all DW's require a drying agent, and even them some plastics may still be damp.

• weissman
    16 years ago

If your DW has a heated dry then your dishes should come out dry. Sounds like there's something wrong with the heating element. Time for a service call.

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sparky&CP: I went to Walmart & purchased 2 bottles of the Jet Dry Turbo. Running a load right now and I am hopeful that this takes care of the problem. Thanks for the tip!
    Boxie

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Darnit! I just checked the load - they're dryER, but still, nowhere near dry. Guess I am going to have to have the service person out. You'd think that a brand new dishwasher would work properly!

• sparky823
    16 years ago

Did you check:

The setting on you rinse aid dispenser?

During the dry cycle, did you open the door and pull out the rack and put your hand next to the element to see if it is heating? May not be.

Also if your discharge vent is on the top of the machines door toward the countertop it may delay opening for a few hours to let the steam/heat disapate so this may make them be damper but from what you say I would think your element may notbe working.(Why I would feel and see).

• mcmann
    16 years ago

I had 2 GE Profile dishwashers (2 different homes) installed within the last 8 months and both work great. They are quiet and my dishes comes out really, really dry. I did pick a stainless interior to assist in drying since the steel heats up and retains the heat longer than plastic.

From your description it does sound like you need a service call. Sparky's suggestion to check the heating element is right on.

• young_2008
    15 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem as you. I just bought my GE Profile dishwasher last month and it will not dry the dishes. They are plenty hot-to-the-touch but always wet. I love the way the dishes load and the whisper quiet feature but figured this was just the way it was supposed to be. I have even let them air dry for hours and the water doesn't dissipate. I am towel drying almost every dish! My dishwasher is "panel ready" is yours? My model is PDW9000 series.

• chickadeead
    15 years ago

Has anyone resolved this problem yet? I have only run 1 load on my new GE Profile dishwasher and the results were terrible with regard to the amount of water left on the dishes (even with heated drying turned on). My model number is PDW9280NSS. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

• charlyinfl
    15 years ago

Rinse aid is required for good drying. Make sure your dispenser is filled and topped off monthly.

• lovbyts_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have the same problem. I have had the service call and he told me all the same BS, make sure you use Jet dry, turn the hot water up to at least 160, run the hot tap water right before starting the dish washer, open the door 1-2 inches after the dry cycle.

Nothing works, they are still wet. Not soaking wet but not dry like my old GE dish washer was.

They blame it on all the new rules but you dont hear about it with most other models.

Maybe time to start claiming lemon...

• Andydid12
    11 years ago

I just had the tech guy leave and my dishwasher is still NOT drying Dishes. 3rd time out!!!! to try to fix it. (His Words)(Your dishes are not drying because your water is not hot enough. You need a NEW water heater.) MY WATER HEATER IS 2.5 years old so I Call a plumber and tested the hot water 143 deg. plumber said it sounds like a heating element problem.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Have you tried using the Sani-Rinse option? Heats water to 160 for better drying.

I also let mine sit several hours before I open it.

• darcy_the_stud
    8 years ago

Has anyone resolved the issue because I'm having the same issues. I bought my house new last year and dishwasher worked fine for about 8 months and now the dishes don't come out dry I pulled dw out and tested element and tested fine I even put 110 power to element and it started to heat up so what seems to be the issue I even tested the thermal breaker and it's fine I'm starting to think it's the main circuit board any help would be appreciated thanks. Darcy

• thekiserprince
    8 years ago

Darcy, your dishwasher is under warranty if only 8 months old.

• procunj
    8 years ago

This is all very interesting. I am having a service rep come out today as none of the settings dry my dishes and haven't since the first day I got it. I tried the Power Dry feature and it has now warped the finish off of my brand new cupboards in my house that is only 1 month old. I'm glad I read this before he came so I can make sure he addresses the problem and not tell me the water's not hot enough. They have since discontinued this model...I wonder why. I'll let you know what he says.

• procunj
    8 years ago

turns out that my new water heater has a valve on it that is preventing the water to get hot enough to dry my dishes. The service rep says it happens on all new model dishwashers in new homes that don't have the heater ring on the bottom. They are depending on the drying agent (which you go through tons of) and the water heat to actually dry the dishes. We are left with nothing. He sees this on all models, not just this one.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

What model number is your dishwasher? What is the temperature of the hot tap water at your sink (check it with an instant-read kitchen thermometer)?

• Gail Purcell
    8 years ago

I just found out that there are new regulations on dishwashers energy consumption and so the drying cycle doesn't last as long so hang on to your old dishwashers, because the new ones won't dry your dishes.

• boba1
    8 years ago

My 2 month old Kenmore Elite has two heated dry options, one which is almost 1.5 hours long. Even disposable plastics are almost totally dry.

• Gail Purcell
    8 years ago

That is good to know - I have been so confused looking at reviews. Consumer reports will rate dishwashers really high, and then I look at consumer reviews and they will hate them.

• murray2you99
    8 years ago

My new GE Monogram has all of the above problems in the reviews - does not dry. I've tried all of the suggestions. It has only been used a dozen times. I have 3 racks - top rack is for utensils. The spray arm under the second rack (for glasses,etc) is always so wet that it gets water all over the dishes on the bottom rack. Also, the pipe at the back of the upper spray arm (this attaches to the back wall of the dishwasher for the water to feed into the spray arm) holds so much water after the cycle is finished that it dumps water on the dishes on the bottom rack. I hate this GE dishwasher. In another home I installed a Kenmore bottom of the line with a plastic tub (3 years ago) and it works well - so so so much better than any of the - so-called- top of the line dishwashers - especially the GE. I HATE the marketing for this dishwasher. It lies about drying the dishes. Mad!

• Gail Purcell
    8 years ago

I ended up buying a Miele dishwasher - it is wonderful and it dries all my dishes!

• Maggie Moyer
    7 years ago

I have GE Monogram dishwasher. It DOESN'T dry and I've done everything the service techs have suggested. It's frustrating to have to dry your dishes with every single wash.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Maggie,

Are you using a rinse aid? Are you saying that when the cycle is done, all the dishes are still wet or just the bottoms of the cups? What are the options for drying on your machine? Are Energy star or heated dry available on your machine?

• Maggie Moyer
    7 years ago

Yes, I am using rinse aid and Cascade Complete detergent. All my dishes are still wet, not just plastics or cup bottoms.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

It's unrealistic (for the most part) to expect a dishwasher load nowadays to be cabinet-dry immediately upon end of the cycle. Cracking the door open for a couple hours likely will have a large effect.

• Maggie Moyer
    7 years ago

Reviews for other dishwashers say it will dry completely. I regret getting GE Monogram.

• Gail Purcell
    7 years ago

My Miele automatically cracks the door open - all my dishes are nice and dry. I love my machine.

• jt fields
    7 years ago

Maggie, I'm currently looking at a Monogram dishwasher as well. Do you know which model number yours is? Does yours have the fan on the inside of the door that is supposed to help with drying? Do you know if the Monogram only does condensation drying or does it actually have a heated dry mode?

• Dianne Murray
    7 years ago
    The GE Monogram dishwasher doesn't have any heated dry at all. It does have a heating element, but they don't tell you this is only for heating the water. Yes, it does have a fan, which is useless. I, too, have had the service man at my home to check out my dishwasher and he said "it just doesn't dry the dishes". The dishes are soaking wet. If you pull out the top rack after the cycle has finished, the water dumps on the bottom rack. Have to dry all the dishes. The GE Monogram is the worst dishwasher I've ever owned. You should look for a dishwasher with a heating element for drying the dishes. I hear that a Miele will dry dishes. I will NEVER EVER buy GE anything ever again
  • jt fields
    7 years ago

Thanks Murray. I've heard good things about Miele as well but it won't have a heating element for drying either. My understanding is that none of the European made or style dishwasher do, they all only do condensation drying. Odd thing about dishwashers, even those from US companies, is that it seems the MORE expensive the dishwasher gets the LESS likely it is to have heated drying. I was told by a salesperson (so take it for what it's worth) that the Asko dishwashers were some of the best at condensation drying because they have the convection fan. That's why I had high hopes for the Monogram when I saw that it used condensation drying but had the fan. The only thing keeping me from the Miele was that they don't match the styling we are going for (pro handles) but I guess I need to take a closer look at them. Performance matters most to me but my wife is more hung up on looks.

• jt fields
    7 years ago

Thanks Murray. I've heard good things about Miele as well but it won't have a heating element for drying either. My understanding is that none of the European made or style dishwasher do, they all only do condensation drying. Odd thing about dishwashers, even those from US companies, is that it seems the MORE expensive the dishwasher gets the LESS likely it is to have heated drying. I was told by a salesperson (so take it for what it's worth) that the Asko dishwashers were some of the best at condensation drying because they have the convection fan. That's why I had high hopes for the Monogram when I saw that it used condensation drying but had the fan. The only thing keeping me from the Miele was that they don't match the styling we are going for (pro handles) but I guess I need to take a closer look at them. Performance matters most to me but my wife is more hung up on looks.

• murray2you99
    7 years ago

I had someone at my house who told me he has a Kitchen Aid dishwasher (recently bought). He said it dries well and you can see the heating element on the bottom of the dishwasher. Don't know what style it is. Hope this helps.

• boba1
    7 years ago

"but my wife is more hung up on looks." And she gets to suffer with it because of superficiality. I wouldn't put up with a dishwasher if it didn't meet my needs and expectations even if it was encrusted with pure gold.

Depending upon how old this Monogram is, there was a time when GE sourced its Monogram dishwashers from a European vendor that received poor reviews and comments several years ago. The last few years they are based on GE's high-end models with slight additional bells and whistles. And these models have received excellent reviews overall.

I have a 6 month old Kenmore Elite that's essentially an upper end KitchenAid. One of the reasons why I chose it is because it has drying option choices--no heat dry, a "normal" dry, and a "extra dry" which dries for 1.5 to 1.75 hours and at cycle completion, a little fan runs for another hour to draw out more moisture. I usually use the extra dry. The little fan comes on about 20 to 25 minutes into the dry cycle, depending upon cycle & options selected. It almost completely dries those disposable Gladware type containers I use for my lunches. And this drying results is WITHOUT rinse aid.

• Gail Purcell
    7 years ago

I had narrowed my choice between the Kitchen Aid and the Miele, but when I saw them both at the appliance store, I was sold in the Miele. I cook a lot and need to fit large bowls and pans and the Miele works way better for that. Another bonus is that they have a third rack on top for the cutlery. I haven't had any issues with dishes not being dry - it uses condensation and it pops the door open.

• ksuave57
    7 years ago

I jus bought this same DW. I didn't realize that it doesn't have a heating element in the bottom. What was I thinking? All that work to install the darn thing and now I have to take it back to the store.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

ksuave,

Have you tried the unit first? Use a rinse aid and see if this works for your needs. Most newer dishwashers don't have an exposed heating element in the bottom anymore.

• HU-542034404
    5 years ago

In 40+ years of appliance work I've watched dishwashers get a bad rap for valid reasons and for things they had no control over. For the most part they are good inprovements. I have maintained the saying "you can build a dishwasher out of an erector set and plywood and still get clean / dry dishes as long as you can supply and maintain the correct water temp." Maintain is the keyThat magic number has always been 140 degrees. Mandated Energy regulations present a chalenge due to factors manufacturers can not control such as how long it takes for cold water to clear the line because water just sitting it the pipe, will cool down. No dishwasher was ever designed to heat water from cold to 140+. Average home you will loose 20 degrees from water heater to kitchen, or around 1 degree per foot of temp loss. Ever wonder how dishwashers suddenly became "Tupperware Safe." Since the early 80's dishwashers have heavily depended on water temp to dry dishes. Dishwashes that heat water but don't have a heated dry, do a great job of heating the water. There are several other factors that can cause poor drying like having much more plastic than dish dishes. The one constant will always be the water tem.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

"HU-542034404: No dishwasher was ever designed to heat water from cold to 140+."

Not true. There are dishwashers with assured water heating that extend the cycle time to reach the target temperature and CAN work on a cold water supply. Fisher & Paykel DishDrawers is one design that can do so, I know this for a fact because I've had one since 2003. The Normal cycle heats the main wash to 140°F and the final rinse to 150°F. The Heavy cycle final rinse is 163°F. I've confirmed with a remote-read thermometer that it hits the target every time.

Also European brands on those local markets and some of them on the U.S. market such as Asko, Bosch, and Miele.

• jt fields
    5 years ago

I ended up getting the Miele. It does not use a heating element for drying but manages to dry as well as any dishwasher I've owned that had heated drying. The Miele has an arm that extends and opens the door an inch or two during drying to allow steam to escape and has a fan that blows as well. I do run the hot water in the sink to clear out cold water from the pipes before starting it.

• Gail Purcell
    5 years ago

That is what I ended up doing. The Miele does a great job!

• HU-396330770
    4 years ago

Just had a GE Profile dishwasher PDT825SGJWW installed. Very quiet. The inlet water temperature is 130F. No drying agent used. Using Cascade Platinum pods. Used the heated dry setting with inlet temperature boost but NOT sanitize. The first load of dishes were very wet when removed at the end of the dry cycle. HOWEVER, after doing some reading, on the second load I let the washer closed after the chime and light said the dry cycle was complete and let it go about another 90 minutes. Note that during that time the drying fan is still running and amazingly all of the disher were DRY!! So don't open the dishwasher when it says it is done. Wait for the vent fan, very quiet, to stop.

• marjoliz
    4 years ago

I have had my profile model PDT855SIJ211 for nearly 3 months now. NO DRY DISHES YET. I use Jet Dry and the recommended Cascade detergent. Even leaving the dishes in overnight and a day and the dishes are still WET. I know my on demand hot water heater is set to 135 degrees and is located directly below the dishwasher in the basement. Has anyone who has th Profile DW with this problem had a resolution?

• boba1
    4 years ago

Marjoliz, with the on-demand water heater, each time the dishwasher fills with water, it may not be drawing water long enough for the actual hot water to reach the machine before the fill is satisfied. Have you tried adding the wash temp boost or Power Dry on?

• marjoliz
    4 years ago

boba1: Thank you for your response. The water at the sink is hot within 4 seconds. I have tried both the wash temp boost , sanitize, and power dry with the same results. Have also found that this model is discontinued. Not sure if that is significant or if I caught it at a usual model change.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Have you as-yet had a call to refill the rinse aid dispenser? If not after 3 months then perhaps the dispenser is defective, not dispensing anything. Or maybe the dosage is set too low ... check your user guide if you don't know how to adjust it.

Could it be connected a cold water supply instead of hot? Run a couple rinse/hold cycles. Open the machine on the 2nd to check if the filled water is hot.

The next load you run *with* Heated or Power Dry, check how much residual heat is present *immediately* after the cycle ends. Maybe the drying heater (if equipped) or the onboard water heater is not working. Units that don't have a drying heater engage Heated or Power Dry by heating the final rinse water to a higher temperature (and possibly running a fan to exhaust moisture).

Note that the user guide I found online advises to open the door ajar after the cycle ends to assist with drying (moisture evaporation) when not using Heated or Power Dry ... but that can also be done when those options are used.

Discontinued model doesn't matter, and it should still have a full stated warranty if bought new.