Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabriel_mtl

My gas rangetop dilemma! Please help!

gabriel_mtl
15 years ago

Hi everyone!

After weeks of shopping and countless hours of internet browsing, I finally have my short list of rangetop favorites. But I have a small dilemma...

My first choice is the Monogram 48" with 6 burners and one 12" griddle. $3100 Canadian (2,520$ US). I love the design, build quality and burner power.

My second choice is a Viking 48" with 4 burners and a 24" griddle (VGRT480-4G ). I don't especially like Viking after reading all the bad comments on their quality and service, but I found this model at $2900 Canadian no taxes (2,358$ US), brand new, so I have to consider it.

I don't care about brand recognition. That's why my first choice is the Monogram. That, and I would never pay the retail price on a Viking. BUT, and here is my dilemma - I'm afraid the 12" griddle is too small to do any real cooking on. I never cooked on a griddle, so I don't know what to expect. I'm also concerned that I will regret not having the 2 extra burners.

2 extra burners and small griddle, or nice sized griddle but only 4 burners.

So the question is... what would you buy?

Thanks a miliion!

Comments (11)

• plllog
    15 years ago

Well, how are you going to use it? The consensus around here is that few people use more than 3 burners very often. How much do you really think you need the extra burners? A lot of people have and use their built in griddles, but many also think they're more hassle than they're worth--so what do you intend to make on it? How often? Sunday brunch once a week? Daily something fancy? Because with all those burners on your preferred model, you can always supplement the griddle with a griddle pan...

• organic_hillbill
    15 years ago

well if money is not an issue go with what you like. It sounds like the monogram is a good stove. If 12 inches of griddle u can live with then why not? Whatever choice you make I hope your happy and bon appetite.

• gabriel_mtl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the answers.

I do a lot of Indian cooking and I sometime have 2-3 pans simmering. 4 burners is tight.

The thing is, if I have the 24" griddle, I might endup using it more then the 12".
    But the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards having 6 burners. The extra 2 burners are more important to me then the 12" extra inches of griddle. I think what got me stuck is that the VIking is a good deal for the price...

• friedajune
    15 years ago

I think a lot of people just buy an accessory griddle like the Lodge, and use that. That way, you have the flexibility of the 6 burners OR a griddle, you can easily carry the griddle to the sink to clean it, and it comes in different sizes, can be reversed to a grill too (I've linked below the largest Lodge griddle, but there are several other sizes, and other manufacturers, so choose the one you'd like). I am also wondering what is the upcharge for the rangetop with the built-in griddle over the rangetop with just the 6 burners, and compare that to the cost of an accessory griddle which will run, oh, about $50-60.

I don't know much about the Viking rangetop, except that it comes with open burners which I would like (but other people prefer sealed). What I like about the Monogram is that all the burners are double-stacked, are the same btu's and all can go to the low simmer. That will make using an accessory griddle even easier since each end will have the same btu's under it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lodge Logic Griddle LPG13

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I was going to make the same suggestion as akchicago and say that a 2-burner griddle could supplement the 12 inch. Also, you might make a mockup griddle out of paper and go through the motions of cooking and imagine if it will be enough. I've never had a griddle over 12" wide...in fact probably not over 8-9", so if it's actually 12", that sounds pretty good.

All that said, a friend of ours pretty much planned his custom, hand-built home around a Viking 24-inch griddle...He has great dreams of cooking all parts of a large breakfast on it, and after seeing it, I can't blame him, or you, for your dilemma. :-) --Come to think of it, I think he bought the 24" griddle as a separate unit and installed it next to a rangetop...Any chance of that for you?

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

We've never used all 6 burners at once but we've come close, and we have some really big pots & pans that effectively take the space of more than one burner. We also have multiple cooks, so having 6 burners really helps there.

We have a separate Gaggenau Teppanyaki griddle installed next to our range. It's a wonderful unit & performs very well, but we just haven't used it as much as I thought we would. I'd be upset if I gave up any of our burners for a griddle.

I too agree about using a Lodge type griddle on top of your burners rather than giving up burners. You can get a bigger griddle too.

Another thing you should try (that affects griddle size) is to make your bacon in the oven. I use our oven's tray (or a sheet pan), arranging the bacon slices to just touch or slightly overlap, and roast in a preheated oven at 400° for about 10 minutes. Some put their bacon on a cooling rack set in the sheet pan but I have gotten good results without. Using the oven is especially good for larger quantities & you can do multiple racks using convection. The bacon tastes great & it's so much easier than frying in a pan.

Our range is DCS, which I believe makes the Monogram rangetop; both rangetops are essentially identical except that Monogram has the reversible wok grates (a feature). We were going to get a Monogram rangetop until we decided to get an all gas range & Monogram only makes dual fuel.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

gab

I have a 36" Viking AG range w/open burners - despite the naysayers on Viking - I did my own research & purchased - 3 yrs & I do love my range.

I decided to get the Viking Accessory grill - which is placed over 2 burners, fits like a glove - works beautifully. I leave mine on - when it's not in use it serves as a wonderful warming tray,plating zone, extra counter -
    Clean up is a breeze - I typically leave it in it's place & clean while it is warm easy!

Good luck

• gabriel_mtl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the answers, this is great.

I love the idea of simply buying a separate griddle (is their such thing as a 24" version, that would go on top of 4 burners?). And since I don't need more then 6 burners, I could buy a 36" and not a 48", save money on the range and hut.

I am leaning towards the Monogram 36" with 6 burners.

jejvtr, thanks for the image, it helped me picture it.
    Thanks again!

• plllog
    15 years ago

Yeah, there is such a thing as a four burner griddle. Just beware of the four separate hot spots!

• friedajune
    15 years ago

As Plllog said, with a 4-burner accessory griddle, beware of hot (and cold) spots. Also know that one of that size will weigh 25-30 pounds. The one Plllog pictures weighs 29 lbs. So the advantage of easy cleaning would not be there. And it'll be a PITA to move it when you need more of your burners. What about getting two 12" griddles? That will give you more flexibility. Or, what about the large Lodge griddle I linked to in my earlier post, plus, for any overflow, a large fry pan or a smaller griddle?

Here is a link that might be useful: Calpalon Square Griddle

• gabriel_mtl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, all good points.

The main problem here is that I most likely overrating the griddle or the use I will make of it. It makes no sense to have a 30 pound griddle laying around.

My choice is clear now: 36" with 6 burners and one or two 12" add-on griddle.

I MIGHT consider a 48" with 6 burners and one grill + a 12" add-on griddle. The grill seems more attractive all of a sudden, since I realized that it's minus a million where I live for at least 4 months of the year :) With a good hood, I'm sure I will use it.

Also, I don't know if I am missing anything here, but after weeks of researches and tests, I can't find a product that matches the Monogram in terms of quality and offering. BlueStar of FiveStar perhaps, but their both hard to obtain in my area, with no promise of guarantee.

Anyway.... thanks for all the help everyone, I'll grab a picture of my setup once finished.

cheers