Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
induction paradox?

Posted by dks35 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 23:02

we got a teapot that we wanted to use on induction cooktop. it failed the magnet test - magnet does not stick anywhere on it. however, the manufacturer (bredemeijer) on their website says that all their cookware is induction compatible. so i thought this is an old/discontinued model or something. before returning it i decided to just give it a try on our bosch cooktop - the cooktop did not report an error like it usually does with incompatible cookware and heated the bottom of the teapot! so i guess it's a keeper but does raise a question of the validity of magnet test. there must be some physics-heavy explanation to this paradox. the teapot is shiny and made of very thin metal, said to be SS. google bredemeijer ceylon teapot if interested.it is made in Holland.
dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: induction paradox?

I had a similar experience with a Bonavita kettle I got from amazon. It stated it was induction useable. I purchased it and tested it with a magnet. No magnetic attraction. I tried the kettle anyway. It worked....BUT...I timed it with a magnetic kettle and the time it took to heat up the same amount of water was almost double. I returned it.

o

thanks, for sharing, wallycat - this is exactly what i experienced, longer time to boiling. but I will keep it, it works for us. the teapot will be used to prep the stock of tea and needs to be only slightly heated, no boiling in it. it pours very well. We did sample WMF teapot from amazon - great craftsmanship and quality, induction compatible BUT only 16 oz capacity. it looked like a teapot from a doll set.

o

If the magnet doesn't stick - it might work but not effectively - I would pick another tea kettle - but not the LeCre Zen - I got that one and it spatters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here