Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bosch vs Jenn Air

Posted by oicu812 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 23:00

Are these two brands in the same league, as far as quality, performance, reputation are concerned?

We're trying to put together a set of appliances for a new home.

Started out looking at Bosch, mainly because of positive reviews around here & other places. Based on reading, we had our minds on the following:

• Bosch 36" Induction 500 series (NIT5666UC)
  • Bosch 30" Single Benchmark Oven (HBLP451RUC)
  • Bosch 24" Flush Handle 500 Series (SHP65T55UC)
  • Sharp 24" Microwave Drawer (KB-6524PS)

I liked the looks/performance/price points of those models, and that Bosch is running a 10% kickback these days.

Went down to the appliance store to kick some tires. Got chit-chating with the sales rep, who mentioned that Jenn Air is running a decent promo too. Buy the cooktop & oven, get their supposedly high-end dishwasher free. Here's what he put together:

• Jenn Air 36" Induction (jic4536xb)
  • Jenn Air Combo Oven [speedcook microwave over a convection oven] (jmw3430ws)
  • Jenn Air Trifecta DW (jdb8200aws) - FREE, supposedly 1200 value.

Can't say I've read much about Jenn Air. I know they've changed ownership in recent years, seem to be making a new push into the mid-lux market.

Thier induction cooktop appears to bridge units, which the bosch does not. Their combo oven has a neato touchscreen cooking menu system that idiot-proof walks you thru cooking most types of items. The DW doesn't strike me as nice as the Bosch we had picked.

Any strong opinions one way or the other on those units or brands?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bosch vs Jenn Air

just a comment that the new Bosch Benchmark Induction coming out this month has bridged elements.

o

What did you decide to do? I am looking at three of these appliances (I don't need a fridge) but am open to other lines, especially for the right price. I have a lead on a clearance GE Profile single oven and might go for that since it's almost $2,000 cheaper, but that side-swing door is mighty nice! I'm a little worried about reviews on the Sharp MW drawer and see that there is a Bosch drawer now - but I had read that they are all made by Sharp (Wolf, etc.). I wonder if that's true for the new Benchmark? It's also a lot to pay for a microwave. Sure wish I could find a 24" microwave drawer with convection!

o

I don't know of a Benchmark MW drawer, but maybe you're thinking of the 800 series? Looking at it on their website, I can see it's definitely made by Sharp.

The reviews I've seen of the Sharp MW drawer have been nearly all positive, especially here on Gardenweb (where people usually visit for reasons other than just bashing manufacturers they've had bad experiences with). My gut instinct agrees - Sharp has good stuff. Microwaves are all they do in the appliance area, and they've been at it for a while. Plus they're the only residential microwave I know of that is made in the USA. Also, I think that the fact they make these for pretty much everyone speaks to how good they are... Wolf and Gaggenau would not stick their names on a complete piece of crap.

I'll throw in a good word for GE ovens, but Benchmark should be great also based on Bosch's past ovens. I think we are all curious to hear from someone who actually owns one of these, so if you buy one please post back with your experience!

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 4:43

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here