Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gursg24

How many people use the oven meat probe?

gursg24
10 years ago

Debating between a Bosch 800 series wall oven and GE Profile. Unfortunately, the GE doesn't have a meat probe for some reason in the 27 inch model. We are leaning toward the GE (partly due to the available Advantium oven to pair with it), but I am wondering if it would be a mistake to forgo the probe. We haven't had one with it to date with our inherited appliances so we wouldn't be "missing" it, but it does seem to be a pretty useful feature for cooking turkeys, roasts, etc.

Comments (21)

• wekick
    10 years ago

You can buy one separate which is actually much better because when it goes you can easily replace it. I would not be without one because it enables you to be able bring whatever you are cooking to the perfect temperature. TW362B is one but there are others brands.
    alarm thermometers

• feisty68
    10 years ago

We use a separate one - love it! Our new one has a remote unit for monitoring from another room.

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

Our Electrolux Icon wall oven has a probe, and I love it. The integrated probe was a first for us, and we wondered how it would go. We used it almost immediately on a turkey and it was great. Very happy to have it.

• gursg24
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You can tell I am not the cook in the family. I never even knew these existed. I have only ever used a manual thermometer. Good point on being able to replace it.

• cj47
    10 years ago

I used a remote probe all the time before we got the Electrolux, I consider it an essential piece of kitchen equipment. I like the probe that the Electrolux came with because when it gets to the temperature I've set, it kicks to "keep warm". And, I blush to admit it, but that Perfect Turkey button actually does give you a perfect turkey, or chicken as the case may be. It's been very handy.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

Yep, Electrolux perfect turkey setting! I haven't used the one in my Gaggenau combi oven yet.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

Our new Elux wall oven is the first oven we've owned that has the meat probe. I love it, especially for meatloaf.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

I've used mine (GE Profile range) several times for baked chicken breast and a pork loin.

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

I've used mine for every roast/turkey/etc. I've done for two decades. Wonderful things. I wouldn't own an oven without.

To be fair, the external probes work wonderfully, too, but they're not as convenient.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

I used to use an external thermometer probe until I got my Wolf L ovens. Now I use that probe, but I do have to say that plugging the thing in is a PITA. The Wolf manual says to pre-heat the oven first, then insert the probe. I have to have oven mitts on both hands to do it. One hand has to lift up the tiny little probe hole cover and keep the mitt away from the hole while the other inserts the probe in a tight area of 350 degree metal. It's not an easy feat fumbling around with my heavy-duty oven mitts.

Do others of you with different oven brands have the same difficulty I have inserting the oven probe?

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Procedure for my range is set up the probe first, then turn on the oven.

• moebus
    10 years ago

Cooking certain foods like duck breasts can't be done without a thermometer and get a consistent result IMHO. Others are just done more easily. I use the internal one on my Gagg quite frequently and it plugs in easily with a display on the controls. Because there is no counter beside the oven, an external isn't an option. (Counter top is on the island opposite). In a second home, I use an external on a GE profile and it works just fine. Can't beat the convenience of the integrated though.

• stevep2005
    10 years ago

Our Thermador ovens have the probe that can turn the oven off when it reaches the desired core temp and is tied to some other 'smart' features - I assume that is the type of probe you are asking about. I've used the oven meat probe once in eight years. It works well, I just tend to be more active with the cooking and use a handheld commercial digital thermometer constantly. Maybe I should dig it out of the drawer and give it another try!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Hmmmâ¦where did I put that thing?

• lmsscs
    10 years ago

I never had one till this oven. I use it. However I don't think it is a deal breaker since it isn't much different than my wireless one I had before.

• John Tebbs
    10 years ago

We have a Wolf 304, and use the meat probe on every roast, turkey, etc. Works great, love having it.

• bober
    10 years ago

Cooks illustrated recommended Thermoworks TW362B (update 2013) if not getting an integrated one. Mentioned previously by "wekick".

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I never had a meat probe before the oven I have now, I use it all the time. I love being able to set my probe and know my turkey will be perfect....those pop up poppers don't pop half the time!

• eurekachef
    9 years ago

I have a GE monogram oven which comes with a probe, and I use it a lot. But before that I just had a $30 external probe which worked just as well. So a built in probe is nice, but not absolutely necessary.

• Kay Smith
    10 months ago

I would rather have an GE Advantium and forgo the probe. Check into a MEATER thermometer. It connects via Wi-Fi .

• awm03
    10 months ago

I like an integrated oven probe, & now that I have one that sends info to my phone, I find it even more convenient.

The probe didn't work when I got my GE Profile oven two years ago. I didn't want to go through service call hassles (back then there were supply chain backlogs & unavailable parts), so I just bought a $25 Chinese knock off probe for GE ovens through Amazon. That didn't work either. Then GE upgraded my oven's software via wi fi -- voila! Both probes work.

So since probes are prone to breaking, if you'd like to have a back up, try the cheap ones sold on Anazon.