Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keitel_gw

Bluestar door trouble (again)

keitel
13 years ago

Hi everyone.

The oven door on my 2007 RNB 304 BS (installed Jan 2008) seized up this past Christmas. It remained locked for over a week while I tried to get a useless extended warranty company to deal with it. My wife got in touch with Matt at Bluestar who offered to send a new door as it was far too early in the life of the range for such a thing to happen. New door was installed.

Fast forward and this new door is now beginning to stiffen up just as the former did. I've tried a few kinds of lubrication on my door that's been in use for 3 months but none make any difference when the range is hot. It is now feeling exactly like the other one did shortly before it permanently seized.

It should be noted that I never ever yanked on the old door when it was stuck. I lubricated it from the very beginning.

I noticed from early on that the original door was not square within the range. The door was not square either from front to back or from top to bottom relative to the range. I honestly chalked it up to slight build-quality issues. But, given that the new door sits exactly the same way as the old one and is now exhibiting exactly the same behaviour (very stiff on the right side when warm) I suspect that my actual range is not square or that the internal hinge mechanism is not right.

I've emailed Matt Schutte twice about it since February with no reply whatsoever.

Any ideas / suggestions? I really, really don't want to keep going through doors.

Comments (132)

• buffalotina
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

edlg: That is excellent news. Very good to hear your report as I have a new design door/hinge on order from Mandy right now....Especially good it comes with instructions. I think you are right, once these machines get this fine tuning there are practically no other moving parts and so it would seem they should soldier on forever...unlike me :). Yep, love the burners!

• stooxie
    12 years ago

For the heck of it I just sent Mandy@Bluestar an email confirming if I was on the list for a new door (NO, I have had no trouble, but why not get the "fix", right?).

She wrote me back within minutes saying "yes."

Whatever you could say about Bluestar service in the past, it's pretty f'ing stellar right now.

-Stooxie

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

Yes, I am sure this is costing BlueStar a pretty penny too, I hope this helps to restore customer faith in them. I did seriously consider BlueStar at one point, but the many poasted problems and the good timing on the release of the CC made me choose it. Now with the much improved customer service, I would have liked to compare them side by side before making that choice. I did check out the CC in a showroom, but I have not seen a Bluestar in quite a few years. The burners being pretty much equal, it looks like the BlueStar has a larger oven capacity though.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

The Bluestar has larger oven capacity vs CC but apparently less insulation resulting in a hotter door.

• Susan345
    12 years ago

Hello,
    We are considering a BlueStar RNB 36" range for our new kitchen. We now are concerned about the door seizing issues. Also how hot does the oven door get...warm or burn your leg while cooking hot?
    Has anyone recently purchased the 36"?

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I would like an open burner 36 inch range as well. I've decided to take some time, not make a hasty decision, and really research this out. I can afford a good range. I cannot afford to get duped out of my money. I am watching these threads with great interst.

• alexrander
    12 years ago

The doors have been fixed on the new models, approximately anything in the last 10 months or so, maybe the last year. And the hinges look different, so it's easy to tell.

I have an older Bluestar - maybe 3 years now and it has been a terrific range, despite the sticky door which they are replacing. I've had great luck with the oven, very even heat, I don't have to rotate my cookie sheets as example, and the broiler has also been terrific.

But the burners really make the range, and having a small burner is great for smaller pans. My oven door- and knobs have always been fine- only the lower door area and the panel below the door has gotten hot.

The newer Bluestars have several improvements- including the new hinges, some are minor and cosmetic, and some like the individual circuits to the spark igniter, you might never even notice.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

In my opinion, the trend of the Bluestar threads has been very clear here on GW: problems of the past, service related and product related, have been thoroughly addressed. It's an excellent product backed by excellent service. Alexr gave a great summary.

The jury should no longer be out, Bluestar is good to go.

-Stooxie

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Add me to the list of thrilled Bluestar admirers. To see such a huge turn around in Customer Service is fantastic(now my only recommendation would be to kiss Trevor's butt to get him back lol) I still do believe that Capital are the ones that gave Bluestar a kick in the pants. The problem before the Culinarian was that Bluestar pretty much owned the market on high power open burner ranges, so people had to either hold their nose and buy the BS or take something lesser(performance wise).

It actually seems now that Bluestar's CS has eclipsed Capital's judging by the horror story on some other threads on this forum. I do however honestly feel that Capital will step up their efforts in this department. I think these efforts will allow people to judge the the ranges more on the merits of the products rather than worrying about "what if so and so happens".

I would say that in most categories the difference in performance between the two is splitting hairs. I think CC's main advantage's are the Rotisserie(big advantage, but on self clean only), and the door stays cooler. Bluestar's advantages are the larger oven capacity(big advantage), it sits on legs with an open bottom which allow for easy cleaning under the stove(another fairly large advantage), a cooktop that is all cast iron which has incredible durability, and is easy to look after as long as you are content letting it "season". Also BS is a much nicer looking range (STRICTLY MY OPINION as is 90% of what people say on this forum) as it looks like an industrial range rather than a weird hybrid of some commercial cooker and a retro 50's residential product.

To Sandy: If you are still contemplating a manual clean CC, I think you should reconsider a BS. You will get a larger oven, and superior racks to the CC manual clean. But if self clean or rotisserie are important then you don't have much choice.

• Susan345
    12 years ago

Thank you! I was sold on Blue Star 36" RNB after much research and then thrown off course by the door issues. Looks likes they have made changes to the design and customer service improved. Does anyone have experience with LP version? We do not have natural gas so will use propane instead. Also, any input on how the heat generated from the stove would affect the adjacent cabinetry? We have the ability now, while in the design phase of our kitchen, to make adjustments to cabinetry layout. Thank you!

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Susan345: No issues yet, but I haven't had my cabinetry all that long.

My cabinets are face framed, inset, painted (lacquered) white cabinets. There is a very very small gap between the stove sides and cabinet sides, likely about 3/16 of an inch. Filler strips generally look goofy, especially on inset cabinets, but they do offer a bit of security as they can easily be taken off and new ones installed if discoloration happens. There are of course a million other ways you can avoid cabinets being close to the range. If you can come up with a design you like without the cabs almost touching the sides of the range then maybe it isn't a bad idea, otherwise I wouldn't sweat it too much. Also I would think the most vulnerable to discoloration would be whites and light paints. Darker paints and stains I think less so.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Hi Susan,

Like most residential ranges the Bluestar can be placed directly adjacent to cabinets with zero clearance. The manual and spec sheets (available online) show diagrams about upper cabinets and how much clearance there should be between them and the range top.

Link:

http://www.bluestarcooking.com/manuals/installation_instructions.pdf

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

Susan345 The nice thing about open burner ranges is that the heat goes straight up instead of out the sides. The height on these high end ranges is also adjustable, as well as the grates being pretty thick. I have mine set slightly above the counter height, but the counter tops are granite so they can take the heat. I think an open burner range is actually less likely to damage the cabinetry than a higher output sealed burner. That is why sealed burners with high output are usually in the center of a range. My CC is LP, there is no appreaciable differance from NG, I do not see why the Bluestar would be any different. tyguy I agree about Trevor, despite Bluestar's cutting him off as a dealer, I have never seen him make negative comments about them he still says Bluestar is in the top 2. Bluestar really should ask him back into the fold, It would be in their best interest. Had I seen this much good Press about BlueStar 3 or 4 months ago I would have liked to take a closer look side by side before deciding on the CC.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

All,

The relationship between Bluestar and Eurostoves should be totally immaterial to anyone's current buying decisions. Things can go south between a reseller and a vendor for any number of reasons and I don't believe this is a case of "poor Eurostoves" getting the shaft. It is my personal belief, supported by other threads in this forum, that history is repeating itself...

-Stooxie

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Caddidaddy55: I am sure you are not alone. BS lost a lot of sales due to negative customer experiences. I am sure they will find increased sales now with their new focus on customer service (and quality).

And you are right about Trevor. Sure he trumpets the CC....If I were him, I would too. But he has never been negative towards BS. All in all, he does not seem like a negative person. Capital is extremely lucky to have formed an alliance with him.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I am thrilled to have found out that there is an appliance store a two hour drive from me that has a brand spanking new RED 48 inch Bluestar range that I can look at! They also have a 36 inch Capital Precision on the floor but not a Culinarian. I don't want sealed burners, but at least I can compare the two ovens. Too bad I can't see the burners.

I was basically told on the phone that the two ranges are excellent and it really boils down to which one I like the best when I see them. Bluestar was actually the range I was going to purchase originally, but I got scared off by some of their issues. I'm not so scared about it now. The dealer who has the floor models I'm going to go look at has an excellent reputation. He also requires a 50% deposit which is fair. Full price up front is not. I don't think I could go wrong with either range.

I don't particularly care about having a rotisserie as I like cooking that way outdoors, so that alone is not a deal breaker with me. Neither is self clean over manual clean. There's pros and cons to both methods of cleaning. Good racks are important to me.

I do like how the Bluestar burner grates cover the whole cooktop with no stainless around the burners. I like cast iron and the way seasoning makes it better with use. My Lodge cast iron skillets are silky smooth now. The Bluestar has larger oven cavities, which is very important to me. The star shape burner is very pretty.

The Culinarian also has excellent looking burners, but there is some stainless exposed below them. Not ideal (to me) but not necessarily a deal breaker. However, the less stainless for me to deal with the better. I like how the burners are a one size fits all so that there aren't several sized burners. Dedicated simmer burners are never where I want them.

Having never seen either of these ranges in person it's hard to say which one is "prettier". Based on pictures of them I do feel the Culinarian is softer looking, possibly being more attractive TO ME. The Bluestar is by no means ugly, but it does have a more masculine industrial look.

In order of importance to me are excellent cooking function, fairly easy cleaning of the range, and then looks. I think either range would be stunning in red!

I can't wait to go look at the ranges tomorrow.

Sandy

• stooxie
    12 years ago

There is no question that the Culinarian has a more contemporary/"residential" look while the BS is more industrial looking. Purely in the eye of the beholder after that.

I very much agree with your order of priority for the range attributes. I honestly think the key to a low maintenance range is NOT having to use soaps/detergents. The grates on my Bluestar get water/sponge at the most, and mostly just a paper towel. Soap will only remove the patina and make me have to clean more. Same goes for my French cooktop, hell, I rub IN any oil that falls on it! I want it to bake on and turn that top brown/black and rust-proof.

The Bluestar has only the bare minimum of "plumbing and works" under the grates and thus doesn't need an extra layer of drip pans and supports. The air vents and gas nipples are tucked under the front panel. The downside is that it's a bit of a pain to adjust the air vents but that is something that gets done for you in the beginning (with the white glove service) and shouldn't really need further adjustment. So Bluestar traded slightly-more-pain-in-the-rump-to-adjust for a simple and easy daily maintenance routine. This is typical of commercial ranges where cooks needs to clean things quickly and service is done as needed by professionals.

For me, simplicity was a big draw. As I get older I am learning to appreciate that more and more!

-Stooxie

• stooxie
    12 years ago

'scuse me, I should have said "orifices." Gas nipple is piping on the outside.

-Stooxie

• sandy808
    12 years ago

My husband and I both agree about keeping things simple. It makes life so much nicer! Just about any gas range needs to have the gas flow adjusted initially before use so that doesn't concern me. I'm tired of having ranges that are designed to be thrown away every few years and don't have burners that heat a pan evenly. I finally want something that cooks better and will last a long time. Now that our children are grown we're comfortable making the splurge.

This isn't related to ranges, but kind of goes along with my mentality of looking for simple well designed products that generally can be repaired and kept a long time....I bought all manual defrost freezers for our food storage because it makes no sense to me to have freezers heating up to defrost themselves when I want to keep food preserved properly in them. I can pull a chicken out of one of these more than a year later and it is still perfect. It's only a slight inconvenience to defrost the freezers and doesn't take long at all. When the food gets low in one I'll combine into another and the emptied one gets cleaned. It's not "fun" but certainly no worse a chore than having to wash a pile of pots and pans.

I'm thinking that's how cleaning an oven probably is.

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Sandy,

Excellent analogy!

-Stooxie

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

I have a CC, even with the SS it is really easy to clean. As far as the burners go, (this may be different with NG but I have LP), even with the gas valves adjusted to the minimum they can be without the ignition sparking, they are too hot on the simmer position, they truely simmer, but I sometimes like to keep things below a boil, so I need to order a simmer plate. I have the manual clean, the rack spacings are goofy. I used the broiler again last night and it seemed to take a long time to heat up especially compared to our old open flame broiler. I didn't think it boiled very evenly either. As far as sitting on legs making it easier to clean goes, hey if you can't see under it you don't have to clean under it. I do think the trim piece under the oven door on the Capital is ugly though. Given that the BlueStar oven will hold a full size sheet pan, and the new improved door hinges and customer service, and had my old range not crapped out 3 months ago and I was able to wait till now, I really think I would chose the BlueStar.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Actually I am glad that I can clean underneath the range easily. I live in Florida so things that can't be seen results in cockroaches. In the northeast it was ants. If keep all the crumbs cleaned up...no problems with bugs. Now of coarse, if the bugs can't be seen I suppose what you don't know would be bliss:))

I cannot wait to get my Bluestar. (And finally get into my house) I'm so excited about it!

• sierrahh
    12 years ago

The salesman told me he confirmed with a call to BlueStar that they no longer offer the "white glove" service.

• ratflinger
    12 years ago

"Given that the BlueStar oven will hold a full size sheet pan, and the new improved door hinges and customer service, and had my old range not crapped out 3 months ago and I was able to wait till now, I really think I would chose the BlueStar."

Folks - don't know who told you different but my CC manual 36 holds a full sheet just fine.

As far as cleaning goes stooxie you must have one that was built right. The one I looked at (local distributor) was so messy under the burner pan that any spill over would require careful cleaning of the igniter wires. That cast iron in the BS does look nice, but the CC design prevents most of any boil over from actually getting to the drip pan, thus alleviating cleanup around the burners.

As far a simmer being too hot - then I believe your burners are not set up exactly right. We're on LP & we have to turn the burner up just a bit for a burre blanc sauce to bind.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

Yes CC 36" in a 30" CC the oven is 24" wide I know I have one. The BlueStar will hold an 18 x 26" baking sheet. As I said the gas is adjusted as low as it will go without the ignitors clicking.

• keitel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, here I am again. The original poster with the 2007 RNB 304 (purchased and installed Jan 08). Very quick backstory: my door seized up December 2009 and Bluestar kindly sent me another door which also seized up 3 months later. I took the door skin off and lubricated the hinges and it's been ok until this past week. It's seized up again. I can't take the door skin off again without stripping the screws and ruining both the kickplate and the door. I've been encouraged to read of people's experiences with Bluestar regarding the door so I sent an email to Mandy yesterday. I'm also going to call tomorrow. I really, really hope they give me a new door that is actually fixed. To say this is a frustrating hassle is an understatement.

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

keitel: Bluestar kindly send me a replacement door with the new hinges even though I have not yet had a problem, and I am sure they will send you the revised version if you ask. I can confirm the post that alexr made that the hinges are of a completely different design. Moreover the revised door/hinge is very simple to install on the range. I actually found it goes on more easily than the old door. Good luck.

• transy416
    12 years ago

How would I tell whether I have the newest door? I just received my range recently, so perhaps it has the latest version. The door did remove and reinstall quite easily.

• keitel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome. Just called and a new door will arrive in about a week with instructions. Very efficient service and, at this point, I trust that if this one fails as well (you've gotta forgive me my cynicism on my 3rd door), Blue Star will handle it similarly.

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

transy416: If you post a picture of your door hinges with the door open I believe a few of us here will probably be able to tell you if you have the new hinges or not.

• sayde
    12 years ago

Keitel, I was glad to read that you are going to get the new door! Have to say, reading your original post really put the fear into me and nearly made me decide not to get the Blue Star. But when I went to see it I was smitten. By the time I ordered last November, they were making V-1. Nonetheless I am being sent a new door, even though I have had no problems with the hinges.

I've been sent new center grates to replace ones that had chips when they arrived, new knobs to replace ones that sat too far back, and new skins because the range arrived with a small dent in one side. Blue Star stayed on the phone with us for over an hour while we dismantled the range to get the old skins off and the new ones on. Not exactly a customer maintenance procedure -- but with this range and their customer service, you could repair/replace just about anything.

Needless to say, I'm so happy I did get the Blue Star. But so glad to hear that Keitel and presumably any buyer who has had a problem is now going to get it taken are of.

• keitel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My luck continues. UPS has delivered my oven door to another address in the same city. Remarkably, it was signed for and received. They're trying to retrieve it now. Yay.

Bluestar has been fantastic on the phone each time I've called, and this clearly isn't their fault. But, yay.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

keitel: Sorry, I had to giggle a bit. You really do not have luck on your side with this. I am sure you will get it soon tho. You have gone through an aweful lot with that door issue. If my memory serves me correctly you also had to deal with problems on other appliances as well? Anyone who says there is no such thing as luck (good or bad) is dead wrong. I am glad to hear that Bluestar has continued to be of help for you. I think their new customer service is 100% top notch. They seem to be taking this door issue seriously finally, but I suppose it beats a class action law suit.

I also ordered a door and it was delivered fast and without fault. I have not installed it yet, as I have not yet had an issue with my 2008 RNB. I have not even lubed the hinges...I wonder if that is the secret? I wonder if lubing the hinges actually does more harm than good over time? I think what I will do is install the new door when I have a moment, and keep my old door as backup.

• keitel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, now it's become a farce. Instead of waiting for UPS to exectute a 2-8 business day trace, I just googled the address where it was mistakenly delivered, found it was a business, called them, and went and picked up the oven door myself. All set to install it today, and lo and behold, no instructions. Called Bluestar. There's supposed to be a red envelope taped to the box with instructions and brackets. Nope. Now they're going to use UPS to send that to me. Seriously, who could make this stuff up?

Door looks nice though. They've upgraded the Bluestar emblem a bit and the bottom of the door is drastically more open. In fact, I would describe the whole door as more open all around.

• pnosko
    12 years ago

Wow, this is one heck of a thread. I'm in the market for a 30" LP range, and BlueStar is on my list (almost crossed it off halfway though this testament).

I'm still undecided on open vs. sealed (heard the latest sealed are better at simmering) and manual vs. self-clean (although CC's 38% price difference between the two at AJMadison is insane).

keitel, could you explain what you mean by the new door being more open? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by that. Thanks.

• gw_monkeyjac
    12 years ago

keitel, I can email you the instructions, but I think you'll still need the brackets. I received my replacement door last week, complete with instructions and bracket. However, I can't install my door because I can't get the screws out to attach the new brackets. You should check your screws before you take off the old door and make sure they will come out.

• keitel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I should have clarified that. When I called Bluestar they immediately emailed me the instructions, but as you've pointed out, I can't install the door without the brackets. Which were with the instructions.

I know what you mean about the screws monkeyjac. When I took the door skin off a year and a bit ago, all the screws I worked with (especially at the top of the kick plate) were in very bad shape and seemed as though it may be a one-time only opportunity to get them out and back in again.

• keitel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got the locking brackets today in the mail and replaced the door in about 6 minutes. The big question: to lube or not to lube?

I had no trouble with the screws and I have nice, clean see-through glass again!

What I mean by the door being more open is that it seems to have much larger vents on the bottom than the old one.

Hopefully this'll be it.

• 5by5
    12 years ago

Does anybody have a copy of the instructions for the most recent hinge replacement? Our box arrived this week with only p. 1 of the instructions. We were able to pop off the old door and pop on the new, but we have no idea what to do with the two small flat metal pieces that also came in the box. And of course it is now right before Thanksgiving, so we really need the oven and I'm sure we won't be able to reach anyone at BlueStar...

• stooxie
    12 years ago

Here you go:

If you want a higher resolution image email me and I'll send it to you. Flickr only has a 1024x768.

-Stooxie

• judyfoodie
    12 years ago

I am happy to report that I will be getting a new door as well to replace my 2 1/2 yr old RNB. I was lubricating the hinges before and there would be grease that would drip from the bottom center of the door onto the kick plate. Do I still need to lubricate the new hinges? I forgot to ask the customer service rep, Steve, who was great. Incidentally, Mandy is no longer in service as she has moved into a different department (Quality Control). Thank-you Mandy for being wonderful in my past dealings and good luck in your new job.

• judyfoodie
    12 years ago

I am happy to report that I will be getting a new door as well to replace my 2 1/2 yr old RNB. I was lubricating the hinges before and there would be grease that would drip from the bottom center of the door onto the kick plate. Do I still need to lubricate the new hinges? I forgot to ask the customer service rep, Steve, who was great. Incidentally, Mandy is no longer in service as she has moved into a different department (Quality Control). Thank-you Mandy for being wonderful in my past dealings and good luck in your new job.

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

My understanding is that the new hinges do not need to be lubricated but I confess that is an assumption and I have not checked it with Bluestar. I did find the new door much easier to take on and off than the older one. As I use my range more I am appreciating the oven more and more. Granted it takes a while to heat up but once it is stabilized it holds rock steady.

Good to hear that Steve is following up on the excellent job done by Mandy.

• PeterH2
    12 years ago

Grease sold for brake calipers at any auto parts store will not melt and run down your kick plate.

• jim01776
    10 years ago

monkeyk's post on April 13 is very helpful. I did that and the door is working now. Thanks.

I also used a file to grind out some excessive metal on the problematic hinge. This seems to make the door operation smoother.

• applnut
    10 years ago

We had the door issue with a circa '07 RNB back when they were just telling you to grease it. Then again, when they were sending out door skins. Neither fully fixed the problem, and Bluestar wouldn't send out a door replacement for us, despite this issue. We continue to do the lube hinges and use a screwdriver to get it open once a year or so. Very frustrating. Extended warranty calls it a "cosmetic" (huh?) issue and won't repair. (They say same thing about banging oven floor.) Bluestar says out of warranty so sad, can't help, even though it's a known issue that required a design change. Unlike others here, I haven't had the luck of having Bluestar service improve. I ask about once a year - when it gets stuck - to get this fixed once and for all, and, at this point, never even hear anything back.

Oh and, "SoCal1," are you sure it's not my range you're cooking on? Ha! I could have written that same exact post.

• tcole90
    7 years ago

I had the same problem with an RNB and periodically lubed the right hinge to kick the can down the road until it started to stick again. FInally, I pulled the door off and looked at the hinge mechanism. Comparing the right with the left I noticed a difference in the profile of the two hinges, the parts that contact the little roller inside. The right side looked different, had a "hitch" in the otherwise smooth roller coaster profile, like it had been damaged. So I spent some time filing down the damaged area and this got rid of the click when we open the door and so far so good.

• tcole90
    7 years ago

Addendum to my last: After exercising the door hinges many times, the click started to return again and so I sprayed the roller that rides on the area I spoke about with food grade silicone lubricant. So either both things need to be done or I haven't completely solved the problem. Your input welcome. It's curious that only the right hand hinge is the problem on these ranges and not the left.

• HU-116093335
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The large oven door of my 12 year old Bluestar 48" RNB48GSS became inoperable at 375F with pastry inside ready to burn. We yanked the door open to prevent a fire and now the door's sheet metal is bent and the door will not close. BS says the oven door hinge is discontinued and the door has been re-designed. Only $900 gets me a replacment door + installation + shipping. Unfortunately this is just the latest in a LONG list of problems since new: convection fan buzzing, igniters cracking, ignition modules dying, gates warping, burners rusting after the finish comes off, knobs falling off in your hand and adjacent white cabinets discoloring from heat radiating out of the bottom panels on both the left and right siode of this stove. And do not pull out the drip tray when the oven is hot or your skin will fuse to the stainless steel. Otherwise, the big burners are hot and the oven is even.