Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newly_suburban

Does anyone have a Wolf induction cooktop or decide against one ?

newly_suburban
14 years ago

Hi,

I have decided on the 36 inch, frameless Wolf mainly due to the burner layout, controls and lack of power sharing for the largest burner. But I have not seen many reviews of it here. Does anyone know any reason (other than price) not to buy this product, does it hum or have any other issues that you know of?

Thanks,

Comments (28)

• datura-07
    14 years ago

I am putting a Wolf 2 burner induction in my island but it probably will not be installed for three weeks or so. I also noticed not many people here have Wolf inductions.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I got to try both the Wolf and the Miele 36" induction cooktops at the appliance showroom where I purchased. The main reasons I chose a Miele over the Wolf:

- I liked the burner layout better on the Miele.
    - If I remember correctly, the Wolf had 15 power levels plus boost while the Miele has 23 levels plus boost.
    - The Wolf was a lot more expensive (almost $1000 more I believe?) ... seemed like you were paying a lot more just for the name.
    - Wolf didn't have separate timers for each burner, although that wouldn't have been a deal breaker if I had liked all the other features more.

The one feature I preferred on the Wolf was that it was completely frameless. However, my Miele's frame has been very easy to keep clean, no problems with gunk getting trapped.

Good luck with your purchase!

Erika

• plllog
    14 years ago

I decided against Wolf induction (to go with my Wolf gas) mostly because I didn't like the controls and layout. That is, the stuff that works for you. :-)

• baver
    14 years ago

I went back and forth between the 36" Wolf and the 36" Miele. The Miele was about $900 less for me, was very sleek (I did not care for the font they used on the Wolf controls, they looked cheap to me - call me a freak, I know), had timers that actually controlled the hobs and I read a thread about someone having difficulties in making a hamburger(not kidding). Having said that, the design pattern on the Wolf would be nice to conceal smudges or scratches, and I liked how it had the controls that allowed you to go to Low and High with the touch of one button. My Miele is only a display right know, and it is a beauty. Everything should be fully operational by the end of next week, so I will report back. I should mention, I paired the Miele cooktop with the Miele MasterChef oven over purchasing the Wolf oven. Also a difficult choice. I did have a previous AG 48" Wolf range that had some issues (needed a full replacement), but the thing sold my house and overall, I was happy with it.

• newly_suburban
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all, I think we will just stick with it since (other than the troubling hamburger comment), all the other things work for us (framless, layout etc). Does anyone know whether the one timer is just for convenience or will it shut down the whole unit when it buzzes? That would be cool for putting things to boil and going outside with the kids..

• erikanh
    14 years ago

newly_suburban, the timer just beeps, it doesn't shut off the cooktop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual

• safoodie
    13 years ago

Has anyone purchased a Wolf 36" induction cooktop with downdraft ventilation?

I currently have a Jenn-Air with downdraft and will be replacing it soon. I have been unhappy with the Jenn-Air downdraft as it is not very efficient and will blow out the burners if they are on low flame.

My other option is to have the ventilation changed to up draft and then purchase a high-end gas rangetop. If I go with the induction and downdraft I can save substantially on labor. I read good things about the Wolf induction cooktop but havent seen anything written about using the Wolf downdraft with it. Appreciate hearing experience with either or both components.

• violinone
    10 years ago

I'm thinking of purchasing a 30" wolf induction cooktop, CT 30 E/S. Since these posts are from 2009, I was wondering if anyone has more recent comments, reviews, or advice on this model or any other make for a 30" induction cooktop.

• repac
    10 years ago

I've had a 36 inch Wolf induction frameless cooktop for about 6 months now, and I love it. The pin-point responsiveness of the hobs is amazing, love the simmer/melt settings to instantly turn down the hob setting. With or without the power boost setting, it boils a big pot of water incredibly fast! The frameless model allows the cooktop to become part of my countertop and prep area. The cooktop has had a lot of use, yet no scratches on the surface. I'd get it again in a heartbeat.

BTW, the model you list (CT 30 E/S) is for the electric cootop. 30 inch framed induction is CT30 I/S.

Let me know if you have any other questions on the Wolf.

• violinone
    10 years ago

Thank you repac for your information and clarification on the model number. Apparently the store, Pacific Sales, had the wrong tag on the induction cooktop. We thought it was awfully cheap for 1800 dollars. So I'm assuming that they actually meant an electric cook top rather than the induction cooktop which was on display. We're going back and forth between Bosch and a couple others.

• violinone
    10 years ago

Thank you repac for your information and clarification on the model number. Apparently the store, Pacific Sales, had the wrong tag on the induction cooktop. We thought it was awfully cheap for 1800 dollars. So I'm assuming that they actually meant an electric cook top rather than the induction cooktop which was on display. We're going back and forth between Bosch and a couple others.

• repac
    10 years ago

Violinone, an issue that we were concerned about was the clearance needed below the cooktop. We wanted to put ovens underneath the cooktop, but some induction cooktops needed too large of a vent area below. It wasn't something I thought of immediately when I was comparing all the gizmos on the cooktops. Just FYI.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Reiterating repac's post, we just ordered appliances. Because we're in a condo with concrete floors, we can't move any of the appliances to the island so we were going to put the oven under the induction cooktop. I really wanted the Electrolux oven and ordered it, along with a Bosch induction cooktop, but no matter how hard we tried we couldn't get it to work - the oven would have had to be too low to be workable for me (and I'm used to an under-counter oven). We ended up getting a Fagor 30" oven, which is much less tall, and it's the only one.

• violinone
    10 years ago

Thank you Sjhockeyfan and repac for your comments and heads up. I am aware of the clearance needed for an induction and willl be putting drawers underneath it.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Violinone - I wanted 3 drawers under our Wolf but the clearance required by Wolf was problematic - I look forward to your solution so that I can get my 3rd drawer back.
    Otherwise - I have been happy with my Wolf - it isn't 100% quiet but neither is gas. I don't cook myself when I cook :-)

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I decided against wolf due to the clearance issue. I needed to maximize drawer space under the cooktop. I went with Gaggenau. Love the responsiveness and ease of control with the dial.

• violinone
    10 years ago

Thankyou A2gemini & GWlolo, I am reconsidering the Wolf due to the clearance "problem." My husband wants the Thermador, but I refuse to pay the $5, 000 price tag!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I heard the Bosch has good clearance - but check to be sure.
    Good luck

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We've just ordered the Bosch - the clearance is not great. I think in total you need 4-1/8" (3-1/8" for the cooktop itself, and 1" of air space).

• uptowngirl
    10 years ago

I was hoping Repac could offer some insights. We have just had the same cooktop installed. It seems to function very well as far as cooking is concerned. Unfortunately it makes the buzzing sounds mentioned in other forums. Most of those posts are a few years old. Repac, does your cooktop make noticable buzzing sounds, continuous on high power, and rhythmic at lower power with the frequency tied to the power level? The sound is audible under the cooktop when I open the drawer, and vibrations can be felt when I touch the underside of the unit, so it is not related to the pan on the surface.

• uptowngirl
    10 years ago

I was hoping Repac could offer some insights. We have just had the same cooktop installed. It seems to function very well as far as cooking is concerned. Unfortunately it makes the buzzing sounds mentioned in other forums. Most of those posts are a few years old. Repac, does your cooktop make noticable buzzing sounds, continuous on high power, and rhythmic at lower power with the frequency tied to the power level? The sound is audible under the cooktop when I open the drawer, and vibrations can be felt when I touch the underside of the unit, so it is not related to the pan on the surface.

• repac
    10 years ago

Yes, I have the buzzing with the Wolf induction cooktop similar to what you describe. From what I've heard, it occurs with all induction cooktops to a certain extent. Type of pans make a difference--buzzing is louder with some. Also, I've noticed that when I turn on the under cabinet lighting around the cooktop, the buzzing is louder! I have no idea why; they're on separate circuits. So when I want it to be as quiet as possible, I turn off the UCL. Overall, when I have something sizzling on the cooktop, it covers up most of the sound, and I've gotten used to it with time. How loud is yours?

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Uptown,
    I also have the wolf and it does buzz and as repac says, some pans buzz more than others - especially layered pans when they are cold.
    I find once I am cooking with the fan running, it is not too bad.
    Gas also makes noise- just different noises.
    I love cooking on my induction!
    Some GWebbers report that their induction doesn't buzz and one posted a YouTube to show how quiet it is - sounded just like my wolf, although a different brand. I guess I just have sensitive ears.

• uptowngirl
    10 years ago

It's not too loud most of the time, but is noticeable when the room is otherwise quiet. I am staring to get used to the sounds made by the cooktop. They are louder when the pan is cold or empty, and the sizzling or bubbling does effectively cover up the tick-buzz rhythm.

It also varies depending on what utensil is being, used with cast iron being the quietest. My Calphalon Contemporary Stainless 10" skillet is the noisiest , but a similarly sized Scanpan non-stick makes only moderate noise as does the 3 qt. Calphalon saute' pan. I guess it has to do with resonant frequencies and the physics of the situation.

Since I really like the cooking performance, layout, efficiency and easy cleaning of the stove I will learn to live with the sounds it generates. My only other complaint with the unit is the childproof lock. I have no need for a nanny looking over my shoulder making sure I don't do anything dangerous. The unit doesn't even turn on unless there's a appropriately sized magnetic object on top and shuts off if it gets too hot. There are no locks on other types of cooktops. It is annoying to have to wait for the controls to unlock, but I have found that if I put a wet sponge on the "key", it will enable the controls while I do other things. Is there a way to permanently disable the lock feature for us grown-ups?

• robingarrison28
    9 years ago

I have the 36" and the two burner Wolf induction cooktop. I do not like it. the controls on top are problematic...if your pan of water should boil over it is hard to operate the controls when they are wet. Also, the safety button is very temperamental....whether your finger is wet, damp or dry. The only other experience I have had is with a GE range with induction cooktop and I loved it. The controls had numbers and I could remember which number I cooked with.

• shannonw42
    8 years ago

Is anyone familiar with the Wolf 30" Contemporary Induction Cooktop? We are gutting a loft condo and our kitchen designer suggested it. I have only cooked with gas, so I am completely out of my league with this one...

• Candace Cairo
    8 years ago

I have had the Wolf induction cook top for six years and it just stopped working. I had a five year warranty. The repair service I called said there is only one thing to go out on these units and that is the main power unit. $1500 for parts plus repair costs. I am switching to gas. Don't recommend purchasing Wolf induction units.