Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jplouis

Is and integrated refrigerator with integrated pulls possible?

jplouis
9 years ago

Can an integrated refrigerator with a wood panel door have a continuous wood pull? Tried to read the installation instructions for Thermador columns but they didn't have much details on the pull.

I'd like a wood door for the refrigerator but don't want metal handles since the rest of the cabinet wall won't have metal handles. We are thinking of doing wood pulls for our cabinets similar to the ones in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Continuous wood pull

Comments (15)

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

I'm sure if custom kayaks can be constructed in a simple custom 3D printer, then any shape of imitation wood door pulls would be a snap.
    Any master carpenter worth his salt could also come up with something unique, even spectacular just applying his trade.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Why imitation wood?

• plllog
    9 years ago

I have Miele, which have the same box. I don't think there is anything much in the instructions on the pulls. I wanted big, honkin' brass ones. They're three feet long and the artisan had to have the die made special (my other handles were part of her collection). So they didn't conform to any particular standard. I'm pretty sure the installer and I discussed placement, the handles were attached, then the door kit was attached to the panels and they were attached to the units. I'm pretty sure it was the cabinet installer who did it.

So I would think that as long as pulls are attached well to the surface, and the mounting hardware is countersunk so that it doesn't interfere with the attachments to the coolers, it should work just fine.

Oh! Lightbulb! Old SubZero with exactly that kind of pull but made out of metal. If it works for them, why wouldn't it work for Thermador?

What doesn't work well is an Olde Europe style giant knob in the center of the door. You need to have the handle in the vertical third on the far side from the hinges. That way you get enough lever action to break the seal when you pull. It gets harder toward the center. The edge of the opening? Most lever action.

Just make sure that the wood is strong enough for the wear and tear. There's a lot of pulling force. In fact, it might be better if the wood wrapped a metal core. Or maybe there's some kind of fancy compound mortise joint or something that would make it stronger, rather than just constantly pulling against metal screws. I could see that that--screw mounts--might fail over time...

• xedos
    9 years ago

Sure - they can.

It's just pretty difficult (especially in wood) to pull off despite what laat2 says.

The handle you show won't allow much grip and consequently force, so opening a heavy fridge door could prove difficult.

If it were me , I'd look at doing a recessed channel like pictured. No reason it couldn't be made of wood instead of metal like the pic. The channel could even be fairly flat, with a recessed scoop on the back side of the door. Both of these are a easier than trying to fabricate a custom wood handle to be recessed into a door.

Here is a link that might be useful: recessed fridge handle

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

xedos, sort of on this subject (and looking at the picture you posted) - what is the difference between a built-in refrigerator (mine - Thermador 30" single door bottom freezer) and an integrated refrigerator? I've attached a picture to what mine looks like installed (at the time the picture was taken, the correct panel had yet to be installed on the adjacent dishwasher).

• jplouis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are off the shelf wood pulls available, they are installed with a tongue and groove and lots of glue. Though I haven't seen one like in the original post.

xedos, I'm not sure I understand how the recessed channel works. The channel is behind the door, how does that work with side by side refrigerator columns?

Here is a link that might be useful: hafele wood pulls

• plllog
    9 years ago

SJhockeyfan,

Your Thermador is integrated. Compare to built-ins like KitchenAid or the older style SubZero, which look like regular fridges, with doors that stick out, and breaks between doors and all, but they're built into the wall. "Integrated" is short for "flush integrated" while means that it's flush with the cabinetry. No stick out parts.

I could have had my Gaggenau ovens mounted flush, but that means that they're inset so that the front is flush with the surrounding cabinets, but that also means that the door would only open to 90 degrees, like what happens on most full overlay cabinetry. I say most because if that makes you nuts, like it does me, you can buy staged hinges that allow for a much wider swing. The Thermador fridge has similar hinges, so the door isn't limited to 90ð. Some integrated fridges don't have that great feature.

JPLouis, You might talk to Haefele and be sure that their similar pulls have been used successfully, long term, with refrigerators. It's pulling against the seal that takes oomph, and could wear down the joining over time, but there has to be a way to make it work, and they might know what it is.

• xedos
    9 years ago

fan - plllog already gave your a run down about your fridge.

I'll add the all integrated fridges are built in , but not all built in fridges are integrated.

louis - you'd need a channel between each column - or I suppose you could join the two together with the hinges in the middle instead of the typical outside arrangement and only have the channels on the outside of the units.

This design detail is not something that your carpenter or regular cabinet maker can just whip together. It takes a lot of planning and engineering to make it all work seamlessly.

• jplouis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Starting to think I just may go with the steel panels on the fridge. Rather have all steel than wood panels with metal pulls.

Thanks for your help.

• Ben F
    3 years ago

I know this is a super old post, wondering what you ended up doing? I have the same question about the same fridge- my whole kitchen will be without handles (push to open) but I don't know what to do for the fridge and dishwasher

• Ani Kejejian
    3 years ago

I’m in the same situation as well. I opted for the Miele knock to open dishwasher but my subzero will still need handles. I’m thinking maybe using pull tabs that are more seamless might work. Faucet, pot filler are matte black maybe it can just be integrated with those colors and may work. The only other option is some integrated refrigerators I saw that are push to open. For example Miele and Thermador but I could fit a big enough size in my kitchen.

• Ben F
    3 years ago

you can add blum servo to make the fridge push to open https://youtu.be/IhbRG-5bxvg

• Ben F
    3 years ago

that is what we will do for the dishwasher, I realized my fridge/freezer have push to open built in.....not sure what we will do if there is a power outage!

• Ani Kejejian
    3 years ago

Is it a easy install?

• Ben F
    3 years ago

I assume my cabinet maker can manage it, not sure of the difficulty

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists