Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acgummad

Looking for opinions on wall ovens

acgummad
11 years ago

So, this post is a little different than ones I've seen on GW before, and I'm hoping someone out there can help me!

Rather than ask for comparisons on different brands of wall ovens, I would like to get some perspective on what some GW users would recommend for me based on how I describe our current kitchen situation. Here goes...

We are doing a kitchen renovation starting in two months, and are at the point where we need to nail down appliances so that the cabinetry order can be placed.

I need help determining what wall ovens to select. Of all the posts on this forum, every question and answer seems to be related to comparisons between brands. But, what I really need are opinions from people who understand how I intend to use the ovens.

1) I am a serious cook, and use my range everyday.
2) We eat very little packaged food and only small amounts of meat, so need a lot of fridge capacity that can accommodate large amounts of vegetables. 3) We use an oven rarely to bake, but often to reheat leftovers.
4) Microwave is used daily as well, but for heating water to make tea, and re-heat kids meals.
5) We entertain several times a year, but still rarely use the oven. Everything is cooked, sauteed, grilled, etc.

Appliances already selected:

1) JA 42" FD integrated fridge - built-in with great capacity AND configuration
2) JA 36" induction cooktop - love induction, JA has great hob configuration, and this unit is a Bosch - a brand I have used and totally believe in

So, here's my problem, and ultimately my question:

We are building a gourmet kitchen with some expensive appliances, and I don't want to put cheap wall ovens in because it will just look bad. At the same time, I don't need the creme-de-la-creme of ovens because I rarely bake, and don't have a clue what convection is. I feel like there is a certain quality of ovens that would go with the other high-end appliances going in the kitchen, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to spend that kind of money on them when I don't bake and hardly use them for anything other than reheating leftovers.

I'm thinking of a speed oven above a single wall oven because we use a microwave often, could benefit from the cooking time of speed ovens, and don't have a need for a full double wall oven.

In your opinions, what do you think would be a good wall oven solution for someone with my cooking and baking needs, that is above 'the middle of the road' and would 'fit in' to a gourmet kitchen, but isn't Wolf or Gagg? I need something reliable, of good quality, and mid-to-upper priced without being outrageous.

Thoughts?

Comments (4)

• noopd
    11 years ago

Have you considered a steam oven or a combi steam oven? because based on what you said, it's perfect for reheating leftovers and kids meal and making veggies, it's much more healthier and better result from a microwave oven.

The problem like you said is most combi- steam ovens (miele, wolf) are 24", which maybe too small for future home buyer if that's your only oven.. The Gagganeau combi steam oven does comes in 30" but is $$$, costing 2x the $$ then the wolf and miele. People on this forum usually buy the "just discontinued" gagganeau model which saves a lot fo money.

it's true that steam oven cannot heat up water for you coffee/ tea, but you can get a electric kettle, or water dispenser for that. I think you will like the way reheating works from a steam oven much better than microwave though..

So, If not for resale, I think just a combi steam oven is enough.. but if you absolutely need a regular size oven that are good quality and value.. Jenn air and electrolux are the way to go. If you are not using it, who cares what brand.. just put something in.

oops.. i just read your post regarding "isn't wolf or gagg".. can i ask why? both brands are quite reliable and lots of happy owners here.

This post was edited by noopd on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:08

• WinnetkaJAK
    11 years ago

KA has a 30" steam-assisted oven; it has had some mixed reviews in the past but IIRC newer versions are improved.

Not sure if this meets your criteria or not but it's an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: KA oven

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Elux is considered the best of the mid-range ovens by many GW gurus. I got one based on their recommendations. It has lots of nifty settings, like Keep Warm and Defrost settings. Do you make turkey for Thanksgiving? It has a great Perfect Turkey setting. It should be high-end enough for your area, I would think. Sometimes you can find them really discounted at Sears Outlet, but you need to act fast when you see one.

I understand what people are saying about reheating in a steam oven, that's a good point. But if you want a single oven plus speed oven, you could do the Elux plus a Miele or Advantium.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love my set up -
    Wolf convection with a GE Advantium profile Speed Oven.
    They almost look like they are made for each other. The speed oven re-heats pizza and it tastes crunchy! I even reheated frozen pancakes that I made in the speed oven and tasted like they just came off the grill.

{{gwi:1408055}}

I believe the Miele speed oven can be mounted under counter if you want the main oven higher. I moved our main oven as high as possible - the advantium drops open, so you don't want to get too high.