Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
48" AG Wolf or DF Monogram for same $$$

Posted by JimJohn (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 22:00

I can get a 48" Wolf AG range ( semi-open burner display unit) for about the same price as a 48" GE Monogram DF range. Tempting, but the Monogram has a bigger main oven, and both of its ovens have better racks and convection and broiling and and self-cleaning. Yes, there are the reliability risks associated with the electronic modules, but at least they are smaller than on other DF units. The burners on the two brands are similar, though the Monogram's are slightly more powerful. The aesthetics are a wash, to me at least - both are pretty. Then, there is Wolf's reputation for quality and service.

How do you balance preferred features against stronger reputation? Either unit could turn out to be a winner or a lemon. Would service really be better with the Wolf in my particular case? No way to know, of course. Should I just go with preferred features?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 48" AG Wolf or DF Monogram for same $$$

AFAIK, the burners on the Monogram are more similar to the Wolf dual fual burners ... dual stacked. The Wolf all gas model that you are looking at has two-ring burners ... a larger ring on the outside for high to medium temps, and a smaller inner ring for low and simmer. The Wolf also has a top that removes completely for cleaning, as well as single grates. I prefer the smaller grates because they are easier for me to lift and move around, and I really like being able to remove the stove top for a thorough cleaning.

From what I understand, GE's Monogram's customer service department is supposed to be superior to their regular line, though I'm only going by what I've heard here and can't vouch for it. That in itself kind of rubs me the wrong way (if you spend more, we will treat you better than if you had only bought one of our "lesser" products). Perhaps someone here will be able to comment on their service experience with Monogram.

I've had recent dealings with Wolf customer service and I am really just blown away by their service. Seriously, when you call them, even with a relatively minor issue, they treat you like you are their only customer and that solving your problem is their top priority. They return phone calls when promised, they return emails, they make follow-up calls, and if they don't know the answer to a question, they find someone who does.

I don't think I would choose a product based solely on the company's reputation for service, but I do take it into consideration. If I liked both ranges equally, I'd go with one with the better service reputation. Otherwise, I'd choose the one with the features that I liked the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here