Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backdraft damper?

Posted by pam71 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 21:56

Just had new Modern-aire ps10-10 installed. When the Hvac person was doing the ducting ( which is a short run to the wall), he noticed there was not a backdraft damper and said all the hoods he has ever done the venting for come with one.. I called both my sales person from retail place of purchase and Modern-aire. This model does not come with one and they said I could order one to be installed but not needed? My hvac person would have to undo ducting to put it in. He was aware of this when he finished the project. Do I really need one? I live iin California and don't get real cold weather. Not sure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backdraft damper?

You certainly need one. Not just for air but also for insects etc. Very few commercial hoods come with them internally but they usually offer one as an external transition. I used a wall vent that had one built in for my modern aire hood.

o

You do need one for the reasons mentioned. Does your wall cap have one in it? I have a roof mount from MA & it included a damper, but I put an inline one in anyway.

o

Thanks for the info. There is only a screen on the outside wall vent, no damper. Will discuss more with my hvac guy.

o

really shouldn't be a big deal to add one at the starting colar on the hood. I have one integrated into my roof mounted blower. However, I allot of cold air still coming in. Probably from the duct work being cold in the attic in the winter and convection. Thus, I added a Fantech 10" damper in the run from the ceiling to the starting collar. Or they can replace the outside wall cap with one that has a damper. Never saw a wall cap without a damper especially for a rangehood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here