Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Speaking of 'babying to Memorial Day sales..'.

aliris19
12 years ago

Can anyone, some astute shopper perhaps, provide a rough list of the sales throughout the year with some sort of sense of how they tend to stack up relatively speaking? Maybe it varies by company or geographical region; maybe it doesn't.

Off the top of my non-shopper's head, I know of these, but have zero idea of how one sale might tend to compare with another:

Memorial Day

4th July

"August clearance"

Back-to-School

Columbus Day

Thanksgiving

Holiday

New Years'

I'm sure there are more; are there a distinct-ish number? There must be something in the Spring, for example. Valentine's Day I suppose?

The reason I ask is, someone just mentioned holding on til Mem Day sales and it's always been my impression that there's some major sale all of the time and holding on wasn't necessary ... only maybe I'm wrong about that; maybe there really are some set of sales that are better than others? And if so, how long do you need to "hold on" for?

Anyone?

TIA.

Comments (3)

• wekick
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is one article.
    http://www.moneycrashers.com/best-time-of-year-buy-large-appliances/

I think with the big box places, you have to hit the sale day but otherwise, it just might depend on what you happen on to and how good of a negotiator you hare.

• aliris19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, wekick. There is a great section in there that I will quote here. It comes from the article listed above:

"Best Times to Buy a New Appliance

For all major appliances (other than air conditioning units), consider timing your purchase to the suggestions below.

1. September and October
    The best time to buy most major appliances is during the months of September and October. During these two months, manufacturers unveil their latest models. This means that the previous year�s models must be discounted in order to make room for the new models that will hit stores in the winter.

2. May
    The exception to point number one is refrigerators. Unlike the other major appliances, most manufacturers roll out their new models of refrigerators in the summer. This means that last year�s models get discounted during the spring.

3. January
    Some stores hang on to older inventory while they make the transition from last year�s models to the next. But once the new year hits, all of last year�s remaining models must be discounted even further. Though better deals may be available at this time, selection will be limited.

4. Any Holiday Weekend
    Retailers have sales that correspond to virtually all holidays. Columbus Day, President�s Day, St. Patrick�s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and most other minor holidays are good times to get great deals. Case in point, Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) can be a perfect time to purchase a major appliance.

Tip: Just because a retailer advertises an item on sale doesn�t mean it�s the best price. Make sure you comparison shop first to know whether or not the advertised deal is really the lowest around.

5. End of the Month
    As many appliances are sold on commission or subject to quotas, the end of the month can be an excellent time to negotiate serious savings. With that said, always try to negotiate regardless of what time of the month it is. After all, the worst that can happen is they won�t lower the price. Here are some negotiation strategies that you can use to increase your chances of success.

6. Weekdays
    Appliance stores as well as furniture stores are nightmares on the weekends. The parking lots are jammed, the sales people are all busy, and you may feel rushed into a decision. To get the best deal, avoid the weekend rush and make time for your appliance shopping during the week, even if that means adjusting your work schedule or going in the evening. You�ll get more attention from the salesperson, and possibly a better deal to boot.

7. Anytime Online
    By just running a quick search, you can get a good idea where the best deal is online. The best months to buy online don�t differ from the best months to buy in brick and mortar stores, but good online prices can be found year-round. That said, remember to factor shipping into the final cost.
    "

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. And I guess the take-home message is, every holiday, no matter how minor, is fair game for a SALE!~... or not. Knowing when the year's models change over is very helpful.

• wekick
    12 years ago

I also wonder how many dealers would be willing to "get rid of a floor models" just at random times because it would be the only way to discount them.

I once saw a Heartland Legend range once at Homegoods for less than half price. It was a purdy blue too. It was while we were traveling so I don't know if it sold right away or got clearanced. They have had Baumalu copper recently for rock bottom prices, about 15 cents on the dollar of the best internet prices.