Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

Please help me finalize my cooking zone

ssdarb
10 years ago

Hello, we are remodeling our kitchen. We have a fairly good sized kitchen to work with, and the plan is almost done. But I need some advice about the cooking zones. I feel confident picking brands and things like gas vs. induction, but I need advice on the layout and ergonomics.

In the layout we have the ability to put something in a range-type area and a space that is a double-wall oven-type area.

Which is better??:
- double wall ovens, warming drawer below on one wall...and a cooktop with speed oven installed underneath it on the other wall.
- or -
- single wall oven, warming drawer below with speed oven installed over it on one wall...and a range on the other wall.

Either choice will give me 2 big ovens, a warming drawer, a cooktop and micro/speed oven.

I want to know ergonomically which is better. Will the range be hot on my legs if I'm standing there using the top only? Will I hate bending down for the range oven, or for the speed oven if it's installed below? And operationally is it important to separate the ovens rather than doing a double?

How I cook now: I cook from scratch daily for my family of 8, also for monthly or so extended family gatherings of about 25 people, and then about twice a year it will be a big gathering of 60 or so. Warming is a big wish of mine for regular family meals and for holiday entertaining.

Currently I use the cooktop most (daily), followed by the ovens (one oven almost daily, two ovens about once or twice a week), and I use the microwave to steam veggies or defrost things. Since I don't have a warming oven, I am always using the microwave to re-zap things at the last minute.

I don't have a speed oven right now but think I might want one to replace the microwave and provide another cooking/warming place.

Thanks!

Comment (1)