Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchillas4u

La Cornue or AGA or Capital

Chinchillas4u
11 years ago

OK, I'm new to this forms but am in need of help. We currently have a 36" Capital Professional free standing gas stove. It has the grill in the middle with 4 burners.
It has been damaged and is being replaced by insurance.
My choices in ranges are another Capital exactly like we have now, AGA Legacy, Professional or Pro + (we can still get one!!) or La Cornue - ConrnFe Albertine or the CornuFe 90 or the 1908. I am completely out of my element with this and know hardly nothing about them other than what I can read online on their sites. At this time these are our only options as it is an insurance replacement. Advise would be gratefully appreciated. We have to make a choice ASAP !!!!
Bonnie

Comments (5)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Cooks over looks but looks splitting the difference when cooks are roughly equal.
    IMO

1) Capital Culinarian
    2) CornuFe 90
    3) Albertine
    4) Aga Legacy
    5) Capital Precision
    6) Aga Pro

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

I wish I could find out something about the 1908 from someone who has actually used one. IMHO, it has a much more solid feeling than the Fe series, but no one seems to have reviewed it!

• Chinchillas4u
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you deeageaux.
    Really at this point functionality is really what I want. I like the Capital Culinarian as well but I'm not happy over all with our Capital Precision, we got it in 2008. I have read similar issues on this site as we have. Burners are really hard to keep lit on simmer or only half light. Our heating element is going in the oven (we assume it could be the wiring cause you tap it lightly and it starts....) and we have already replaced the electric gas lighting component. I am in Canada so its crazy to get parts for it. The local supplier who just started to carry Capitals is 3 times as much as what we pay including shipping from the US but it takes weeks to get a part, local or from the US.
    I love the idea that La Cornue and AGA have with not having to permanently have a grill or griddle or Wok (We currently have the grill in the middle which I used once and really did not like.) Looks wise.....La Cornue for sure. I am concerned about the oven size on the 90 and Albertine. Our Capital is a 4.6 cu and the 90 has the 2, one is 2.2 cu and the smaller is 1.9 cu. Albertine is 3.9 cu. We have a big family and cook large amounts on a regular basis. Size of the oven is my main concern. Anyone else have these issues ? Concerns ? Our local supplier does not have either in stock for us to see. He does have a 110 (the smaller oven is the same as the 90) but the 110 will not fit in our kitchen. So wish I would have built for a 44".

To be honest if we can not decide which brand to get we will go back to Capital, I have one, I know it and know the issues and where to buy parts if need be. I sure do love the La Cornue for looks........trying to convince my husband of that (even though he hardly cooks) is going to be the issue.

• cindallas
    10 years ago

I was wondering which direction you went and if you are happy with your decision. Hope you are satisfied with your choice. Any reviews or advice you'd like to share on your choice? I love the looks of the european ranges too but like you, dont hear enough of practicle experience. Thanks.

• chrisfromnh
    10 years ago

I own an Aga 6-4 duel fuel range and would not recommend it. The stove is beautiful to look at, but it's not engineered very well. The ovens are very small and do not keep even heat. For example if you set the oven to 350, it will cycle from 310 - 400 degrees even after being full warmed. Its also hard to get service for them.

Because the stove is 100cm (39"), its not easily replaced by anything made in north america, so we purchased a kitchenaid wall oven and now use the Aga mainly as a 6 burner cook top.