Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelbel300

GE Advantium owners - ever wish for 2nd microwave???

kelbel300
15 years ago

I love to cook but w/4 young kids and numerous activities, meetings,etc, I am drawn to the speed of an Advantium. (Thinking fewer minutes cooking might = more minutes at the table together!) My concern is what if I am baking in the advantium and would like to use the microwave? Have any of you ever wished you had a second microwave when you're baking in the advantium???

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• nancyjn
    15 years ago

Yes, I sometimes use my large oven when the Advantium would be more efficient, because I know I am going to need the microwave.

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

No, I never felt the need.

• jab913
    15 years ago

Advantium or no Advantium I have always found it convenient to have a second microwave. Would not consider it a necessity. I don't have 2 in my kitchen but I do have one outside on the patio. Living in California I am able to use it year round on those few occasions when I need to.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

We wired a space in our pantry for a second MW, just in case, but haven't had the need.

• improv
    15 years ago

Our family of four absolutely loves the Profile Advantium (above the countertop) oven! During four years of constant use (both microwaving and speed cooking), we have on a few occasions wished for a second microwave. However, we have not been motivated enough to move our second microwave oven in from the garage... It cooks so fast, we are fairly content to wait.

Our advice: if you can afford to allocate space for both, you will probably find it convenient. If not, don't sweat it. Definitely go for the Advantium (240 if at all possible) and make the most of your precious time.

• livingthedream
    15 years ago

It depends on your cooking style, and whether your kids are old enough to prepare things on their own.

I microwave a lot. When I had three kids at home we had three microwave ovens and there were times when all three were in use at the same time. And there was the benefit of having the ovens in different areas to keep traffic out of the prep space. Now it's mostly DH and me, and we still use two, plus two regular ovens.

It seems to me that whether an Advantium would be an advantage to you would also be a matter of cooking style.

I cook from scratch. When I considered an Advantium, I realized that aside from an occasional roast, I'd mostly use it as a microwave oven. Casseroles, stews and pot roasts (yup, I generally do them in the regular oven -- less effort than on the top of the stove -- and in a time pinch most can be done in the microwave) and the like all are better made the day before and reheated before serving. Speedy baked goods sound nice, but I'm not fast enough at preparing them that saving a few minutes baking time would matter much.

For me, the solution to those crazy rushed dinners was to prep and when appropriate, cook, the night before, after the kids were in bed. (I'm lucky that I've always had a kitchen open to the family room, so I could talk to DH or watch TV while cooking.) And while I don't have to do it every day any more, I still enjoy my evening cooking sessions. And we still have a couple of rushed evenings each week where cooked-ahead dinners are a lifesaver.

• starfish24
    15 years ago

improv -- What does your family generally speedcook in the Advantium? The decision about whether to get the Advantium (new 240) -- in lieu of one wall oven and a regular MW -- is the biggest one I currently need to make. Am concerned about how we'd use it, the fan noise, and the fan blowing quite strongly into the kitchen (at least, that's what the demo seemed to be doing at the store we saw it at). Thanks!

• improv
    15 years ago

starfish - If you choose the Advantium, will you still have one regular wall oven?

We were skeptical at first about how much we would use our Advantium, because it seemed to be programmed for junk food. In short order, we discovered how easy it is to adapt its programs to our use and customize settings. We also tried the incredibly easy recipes in the Advantium cookbook. Many have become favorites (Morrocan Chicken, Garlic Shrimp, BBQ Ribs, Enchilada Casserole, Fish with Creole Sauce, Oriental Glazed Salmon, Parmesan Potatoes, Italian Eggplant, Cornbread, Lemon-Cranberry Muffins, Apple Cranberry Crisp, and Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce (to name a few!)

We use speedcook to roast whole chickens and parts to absolute perfection (juicy yet crisp). It also does an astonishing job of cooking fish, even halibut (which is so easy to overcook). We do use the programmed settings to speedcook frozen food such as burritos, potstickers, pizza, garlic fries, roasted potatoes, nachos, burgers, rice bowls, soups, etc. We also use the microwave settings to defrost (perfectly!), steam vegies, and clean the oven (just boil soapy water in a dish and wipe up). I'm blanking out now, but it seems like there are even more ways that this oven has changed our lives for the better...

Here is a link that might be useful: Advantium Recipes

• starfish24
    15 years ago

Yes, we would still have a 30" wall oven (current front-runner is Miele MasterChef). So the debate is (1) double 30" wall ovens plus regular MW, or (2) single 30" wall oven, Advantium, plus warming drawer.

Thank you, improv, for the info. We don't know anyone here personally who has owned an Advantium (other than salespeople), so it is v. helpful to hear real cooks' experiences with it.

• hollylh
    15 years ago

Starfish, I am trying to decide between the same two options. I have posted about this and read all the threads and I still can't make up my mind! Kelbel300, I have decided that if we DO get the Advantium (which will be in the kids' snack area, and I assume be used by them as a MW), then I will get a second small MW to use in the prep area. Or at least wire for one and see if I need it.

• kelbel300
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! Since we originally planned space for a double oven and microwave, I think I'm going to go w/the Advantium, keep the 2nd microwave, then put another oven beneath the Adv. Might even hold out for that "double oven in a single space" GE's web site has coming out in the fall.

Thanks again - you've been a big help!

• starfish24
    15 years ago

hollylh -- I (think) I am sold on the Advantium (will wait for new 240), but I have concerns about the microwave end of it (will I need a second MW) AND the oven end of it (will I need a second full-sized oven). It's crazy how much time once can spend on these decisions! Since we're about to order cabinets, I'm trying to size them such that -- if I really hate the set up with the Advantium, I can switch to double ovens + MW without too much impact on cabs at some later point.

• cookie08
    15 years ago

I am also interested in the new Advantium 240 and new GE Profile Single/Double wall ovens. Because the advantium is also a warming drawer, I eliminated a stand alone warming drawer from my plan.

I just heard from GE about the new ovens:
    * They won't come in white
    * They don't know if they will have temperature probe(s)

• swatts1
    15 years ago

We have a Monogram Advantium, with a Trivection beneath. Our children are grown and we fully expected to use the Advantium for the majority of our oven cooking. After several uses I found myself using the big oven to keep the microwave free. I've even run upstairs to the kitchenette on the 2nd floor to use the microwave. I believe I'll put a small, inexpensive Microwave in the adjacent pantry/laundry room.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Kelbel, Starfish & others who have Advantium and single oven... We thought we were going to get a DBL oven and spacemaker MW and now we are having spacing problems and are thinking of a single oven and Advantium. I would be interested in "Veteran's" opinions as well as newbies. I use my MW everyday for heating etc. I am wondering when you are cooking a big dinner (holidays) and need 2 ovens, if there are times that you wish you had that second oven to free up the MW? Just another decision I thought I had made, but haven't!