Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carree_gw

Bluestar door glass cleaning

carree
10 years ago

I read of someone else's experience about cleaning the streaked glass - between the two window panes - of her oven door by sliding a hangar or wooden stick through the vent holes on bottom of her oven door. I have a Bluestar which doesn't seem to lend itself readily to this maneuver.

How have other Bluestar owners cleaned between panes of their oven glass window?

And somewhat related, have you actually put your grates and burner cast iron in the dishwasher to get them glossy looking again? Mine look rather tired after six months of use.

Comments (15)

• brightm
    10 years ago

Looking forward to an answer to this too. The Bluestar is DH's one non-negotiable for our upcoming kitchen reno.

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

ctycdm - just wondering if you oil the grates. The appliance store where we will be ordering the BS mentioned doing this to prevent rusting of the cast iron

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I seasoned my grates and bowls when new with peanut oil, but honestly, the grease splattering from daily cooking will do the same thing. I use my griddle often, so all the grates get a good dose from that ;) No rust would ever stand a chance on mine...

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

I didn't season it but it does just get seasoned over time.

• carree
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for not returning here sooner. Thank you Ctycdm for your guidance on cleaning glass. I am nervous about removing the door from its hinges so I will need to muster my courage to do that. But thank you for sharing your experience.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

carree, door removal is quite easy...

Here is a link that might be useful: Door removal

This post was edited by ctycdm on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 0:10

• M
    5 years ago

Just a quick tip, if your door doesn't have the little flip-up receiver locks that you see in the video, then it might be the (older) design that has a little hole in the hinge. You can put a pin or small nail into this hole to temporarily lock the hinge in place.

• hawkster
    4 years ago

I have neither the flip-up receiver nor a little hole in the hinge (six year old RNB). No clue how to get the door off.

• M
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Removing the door should be easy. Crack the door open a little bit and then pull up. From what I can tell, they all have the same groove that they clip into.

The tricky part is getting the door installed again. With some of the hinge designs, it can take a long frustrating time of fiddling with the spring loaded hinge. With other designs, the hinge can easily be locked and then it takes mere seconds to replace the door.

• hawkster
    4 years ago

Thanks. I discovered I do have the flip-up receiver, just the older, smaller type. All is well.

• Ian Brownlee
    4 years ago

Cookncarpenter - thanks for the dets on door cleaning & like to removal Worked perfectly! 5 star review for you !!! ;)

• Ian Brownlee
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>* link to removal... not like
  • Jonathan Sochacki
    3 years ago

So what do you do when there are 3 pieces of glass and the brackets holding the middle glass is put in with pop rivets? 🤦🏼‍♂️..

• M
    3 years ago

Pop rivets are easy. Drill them out when you want to open them, and put them back with a $20 tool, if you need to replace them.

Same as with most other fasteners (e.g. screws), at some point you need the right tools. But then it's an easy job