Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crosbysmom_gw

30" gas slide in - Blue Star or ???

CrosbysMom
9 years ago

Started appliance shopping for a new house today. Budget for range is ideally $4500 or less.

Found a range made by Blue Star (RNB series). The appeal for me is the 1800 degree broiler. We've always wanted a Salamander to heat steaks at steakhouse temps.

Does anyone have any experience with this item? Recommend or stay away? Any other ranges that cook a great steak? :)

Comments (4)

• barryv_gw
    9 years ago

I don't know if Bluestar makes a slide in, but I have the 30 inch gas free standing range RNB. The broiler has pluses and minuses. The downside is that it is pretty small, at least in comparison to the electric broiler I had on a prior stove which covered most of the rack. I haven't measured, but the broiler covers maybe 1/2 of the rack. So if you put a pan into the oven, some of your food may be directly under the broiler and get scorched before food that is not directly under the broiler. If you use a large sized pan to brown the top of 6 or 8 burgers, you will probably have to move it around a few times to get the browning to be even. The second minus is that if you use a pan on the top rack, the food is extremely close to the broiler - which means it sears incredibly fast. I used the broiler to finish off a sous vide burger last night and used the second rack. If I put it on the first rack it probably would have been done in a minute or less - it is that powerful when it is on. So that is a plus and a minus, because if you don't get it out quickly, it will burn. Second, if you put the full extension rack on the second from top position, it is easy to slide the food out to check. One suggestion, which I have followed a few times, is to use the broiling pan that comes with the oven, and put that in the second position from the top, which gets it pretty close to the broiler ( because the broiler pan is elevated) but not as close as the top position. I have gotten used to it and I like it to sear foods, usually using the second position, but if you were used to the full coverage of an electric broiler, it might take some time to learn to like it. The burners on the stove top are a delight - very powerful, and also allow you to simmer.

• deeageaux
    9 years ago

Bluestar is not a slide in because the sides have SS panels but with the island trim it looks like a slide in installed between two cabinets.

Below in link is floor model 30" RNB for $3300 plus $300 for shipping.

You may also want to look at Capital Culinarian which is more expensive and American Range Performer Series which is less expensive.

Just google the names of all three ranges for lots of threads on the subject

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestar RNB

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I also have the 30" gas freestanding RNB and I love it. Great value IMHO. I don't use the broiler much but I agree with Barryv's points. My model with the island trim is supposed to be installed with the sides elevated 11/18" above the countertop surface. Not sure why, but it's something to be aware of.

• CrosbysMom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Barryv for the broiler info! I actually followed the advice of deeageaux and took at look at the other models that were suggested. Ended up becoming very smitten with the American Range and we're ordering that one today. Can't wait till our new house is finished and I can start cooking again!

Thanks all for the info!