Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyshoe

36 inch rangle plus single vs. 48 inch range

CathyShoe
10 years ago

I'd love some feedback from folks that were questioning the same decision that I am trying to make. Should I buy a 36 inch gas range plus a single electric oven OR a 48 inch gas range with double ovens. I cook multiple meals at the same time on the weekend so I need multiple burners and 2 ovens. I do not need 8 burners however.
So for those of you that decided 36 inch range, do you have enough burners and oven space? Did you add a single oven too? Do you have any regrets? And for the 48 inch range owners; any regrets? Is it too many burners? Do you feel like your fan is just too big in the kitchen?
Thanks. I can't tell you how much time I have spent over the last 2 months reading everyone else's posts:)

Comments (8)

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I have a 36" Blue Star with grill and a Miele speed oven. I think it is a perfect combination. I was considering the 48" range but decided against it for a couple of reasons besides the fact that it might have overwhelmed my narrow kitchen. First, I liked the option of having one gas and one electric oven, plus the speed oven gave me the extra functions. Second, I read that the small oven on the 48" was the weak sister--not great air flow for example. Last, I didn't really need 8 burners. Now I have four plus the grill which is always enough. Only occasionally do I use all four and I can use the grill as an extra burner in a pinch but haven't needed to do that.

• wekick
    10 years ago

I agree with tyguy in that you may need to consider the scale of your kitchen. I have 36 inch range with 6 burners and a 30 inch wall oven. I use the wall oven all the time. It is much easier on your back. I have an overlay griddle and we grill outside, but I can see how an inside grill would be usable for some. You can get griddles that cover 2 or 4 burners and made of aluminum to heat very evenly or steel that will hold a lot of heat. Some range(top)s have a griddle overlay that fits the range, If I did need additional burners, I would buy a couple of portable induction burners. One lady I read about had an extremely small kitchen and was going to buy all portable induction units instead of a cooktop and keep them put away until she needed them. If I had it to do over, I would have a rangetop and two separate ovens. You can then pick the best for each component. I might pick a steam oven and a regular wall oven or even just two regular ovens. If one component fails you are not stuck replacing a whole range. My range lasted 4 1/2 years and must now be replaced due to the failure of the porcelain in the oven.

• daveliv
    10 years ago

One other point to add is the oven on the 36" BS is 3" wider than than big oven on the 48" (or 60") BS. The extra size comes in handy, such as roasting a big turkey and then having room to bake 8 sweet potatoes at the same time.

I went with the 36" BS range (6 burners) and wall ovens and am very happy with the combination. I generally use the wall ovens on a daily basis. They preheat more quickly and not having to bend down is great. The BS oven is used for broiling (fantastic, but too small broiler) and baking and roasting for a crowd.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I currently have a range and small wall oven and like the combination. I'll probably repeat it when I remodel.

Have you considered a rangetop and double wall ovens?

• stevep2005
    10 years ago

I have a 36" BS rangetop and dual 30" Therm electric convection ovens. Personally, I prefer separating the ovens from the cook top - easier oven access, no oven heat while you are working the range top, less conflict with multiple cooks, and greater oven capacity. The downside is that I have no hood over the ovens if something smokes and the dual ovens take up more space than a single 36" range. The six burners is plenty 95% of the time but 12" pans do crowd neighboring burners so if you use those concurrently often then consider that. The only change I would make 8 years in would be to get the 48" BS range top with 6 burners plus the grill with a 4-grill-2 config to better facilitate multiple 12" pans.

• CathyShoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to go with the 36 inch gas range and a single 27 inch oven in the island. I do not have the vertical space for dual wall ovens unless I lose some pantry space (not happening). I like the idea of a portable induction burner for an extra burner (ie boil water for pasta) when the other burners are full. Thank you for your help

• bober
    10 years ago

To keep costs down my contractor suggested I consider a 48" all gas range (will sit against the wall) rather than a 36" + a separate single electric oven in my island. For me, I would have needed a 240V upgrade to my electrical system to support the single oven. I was not crazy about having just 1 large oven under the 36" and figured I needed a 2nd one.

So... I'm now looking at the 48". My wall to support it is about 130" which seems good enough to get some cabs on each side, etc. Then I get the 2 ovens, 1 small, 1 large. Love the BS but was not crazy about what I read about the long preheat times on the oven in the 36" range..

Will also consider other 48s like Wolf & Thermador but have no idea about pricing yet.