Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wet dog smell from newer dishwasher-

Posted by thew60 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 19:44

I know there are a million posts on 100 forums about this BUT I wanted to tell my story to see if there is anything else going on;
I have a LG 7551 dishwasher that was installed 11/13. Stainless in and out. My family and I noticed several weeks ago this distinctive "wet dog" smell coming from the dishes, particularly the GLASSES, not the DW. In looking up the causes and remedies, I used TANG which left the DW smelling like a glass of the stuff and worked for a couple of weeks. I REGULARLY clean the filter in the bottom (damn the energy star- this thing doesn't hold a candle to my old Kitchen Aid).
Here is the odd part. The DW smells normal, the dishes are pre-rinsed and when the cycle is over come out smelling clean and with no odor at all. It is only after we take them out of the cabinet to drink from them the smell hits us like a wet labrador. Putting the glasses upright in the cupboard is to no avail. This is the part I find strange...
I installed this unit myself and checked all connections which are to code and correct.

Any ideas will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wet dog smell from newer dishwasher-

I'd check the drain lines first to sure you're not dealing with crud-retention issues. Then I'd check actual heat level and water fill-level. Your dishes should be nearly sterile coming out of a properly-functioning dishwasher...even with the lower amounts of water they now use.

I assume your household water-supply is odor-free.

The "wet dog" description is puzzling. If there is residual odor, I would expect spoiled-food smell or maybe sewery smell...but "wet dog" I don't get.

o

We had the same problem with our new Bosch (well, sort of new...5 years old now). We never had it with the Bosch we bought in 1996. Anyway, believe it or not, after a few years I realized it almost always happened when there were dishes (or even just one dish) that had bits of egg left on them. Since I stopped putting eggy dishes in the DW, I don't seem to have the problem. Ridiculous I know but I can't stand that wet dog smell on my dishes and glasses. It's gross!!!

o

We haven't been able to figure it out completely - the wet dog smell, but it might have something to do with the load size and rinse-aid setting. I did play with varying the dispenser setting and reducing rinse-aid setting to 1 (minimal) and it helped but sometimes even on that setting the smell comes back. As for the eggs bits - we rarely have eggs but still get dog smell once in a while, so in our case I can't connect the two. We use finish PowerBall and it's a Bosch DW. I would be interested in hearing more on this topic from everyone.

o

Umm...have you checked the usual culprits as I suggested?

o

The connections are updated and code and we preheat the hot water prior to starting the cycle. The entire drain line to the wall is new as this was part if a kitchen update. New PVC and all. The dishes arw clean and smell FINE at cycle conclusion. Only after we take them out if the cabinet so we notice the smell. We also use the Finish Ball detergent as mentioned by above poster.
NEVER had this with my old kitchenaid.
No eggs, dishes prerinsed. Weired.

o

"The connections are updated and code and we preheat the hot water prior to starting the cycle. The entire drain line to the wall is new as this was part if a kitchen update."

Really/truly NOT trying to be PIA, but......Have you MEASURED the actual temperature during the cycle? Do you KNOW whether or not the drain is functioning as it's supposed to? Do you KNOW whether or not the machine is filling properly? Properly-working dishwashers with clear drains, proper fill levels, and specification water heat do NOT perform as you've described.

I understand what you've said. My suspicion is that something has been missed. I have this prejudice because of several situations of my own in which I, myself, ignorant homeowner that I am, had to remind contractors, workmen, and city/county inspectors that they had missed things REQUIRED by their own codes....like whether or not the "code" drain lines actually drained properly. They never test them. They just look at them and put check marks on their sheets. They NEVER stick round long enough to test the actual temperature or fill level of a machine. You're on your own. Hire it done or do it your yourself...but I have little doubt your problem is right there.

This post was edited by Gwarstong on Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:01

o

Try not pre-heating your water.
The new enzyme detergents need to start out with cooler water to be effective.

In a Finish detergent PDF I was given in a training it shows that the enzymes are active up to about 130F after that they start dying off and the bleaches start activating to remove stains
Since the enzymes are designed to attack the protiens if you start out with too hot of water the enzymes never got a chance to do their job of breaking down the protiens.

We tell all our customers now to NOT preheat their water if they are using enzyme based detergents.

o

With respect.....the mass of dishes and the interior of the DW itself bleed so much heat out of any incoming water -- especially the newer machines that don't use much water -- that this is a non-issue.

I have a 10-year-old WP that uses more water than today's machines. If I run the tap until the first drop into the machine is 130F, the actual starting temperature in the DW with a full "normal" load after the spray arms have their first go-round drops to between 95-100F. (My machine has a plastic liner. SS liners absorb even more heat.) Detergent isn't even dispensed until the post-rinse cycle begins. Then the heater kicks in to raise the temperature above that level.

All DW's are the same this way. Easy to measure yourself.

o

This is a wild one but it has its merits (at least in my little head). Flush out anything to do with rinse aid, and add just a smidgen, a quarter or a half cup) of vinegar manually to the final rinse, or to the penultimate one if it lasts at least five or ten minutes or so. If the smell is gone, clean out the rinse aid dispenser and tube/channel and see (smell) what happens next.

o

Since your dishes don't smell when taken from the dishwasher but they do when taken from the cupboard, maybe it has more to do with your cupboard than the dishwasher. Could there be some off-gassing from your cupboard. Try storing the glasses some where else for awhile and see if they still smell.

o

I think @badgergal is on to something with the idea about the cabinets being the source of the odor. It made me remember that we had some shelves and drawers built in to our master closet twenty (20) years ago. The clothing that comes out of the drawers always smells weird. It is probably the particle board core that is still out gassing (eeeew). Hubby has wanted to remodel that closet and bath, and getting rid of the stinky drawers system would be a good thing......aaaaack. Now I need to lurk in the bathroom forums here for ideas. LOL

o

Badger - good thought on the cabinet being the issue - but does the cabinet smell without any dishes in it.
Thew - you must be from the MW to know about using Tang in the DW.
I used to use Tang but now use the Miele DW conditioner.

o

I appreciate all of your posts and ideas. I have looked into pretty much ALL of them. The cabinets are fine, smell ok are are regularly cleaned.
One fascinating thing I noticed may sound very odd:
Over the last few weeks since I have closed all of my windows and put on my central air conditioning, the smell is GONE! BUT if I open a window or even the patio door in the kitchen for example when I am grilling outside, the smell returns! Worse when it is humid outside. Doors and windows closed; no smell. open; smell.
Chew on that for a while. Seems to be triggered by humidity. The glasses smell fine going from DW to cabinet (stored top down). As soon as they are removed from the cabinet and put on the counter or table, bingo. VERY odd.

o

I have a [hopefully just analytical] question. If the glasses smell fine going from DW to cabined, and start smelling when removed from the cabinet and put on the counter or table, how can it possibly be the dishwasher that's at fault?

o

The only reason I suspect the dishwasher, is that we had a KitchenAid in its place for about 15 years which never ever had this problem occur. Coincidence? Maybe. Just puzzled.

o

Hmmm. Particle board can be made with a lot of binding agents, but it was common to use formaldehyde based ones for interior use. Besides their possible health, er, benefits, I recall from somewhere that they can react with humidity. We just need to know what the chemical constituents of wet Lab odor are to compare.

kas

o

Cabinets are custom, are all solid hardwoods and solid over plywood, no particle board.

o

Have you tried switching detergent? Try the Cascade pods to see if you see any change.

When was the last time you flushed your hot water heater? Sometimes sulfieds can build up in the water heater tank. Most hot water tank manufacturers recommend flushing the tank at least once a year.

o

Since the smell is gone when you shut your windows, it suggests that the smell can't just be from the glasses. What about coffee cups? Stuff you're actually putting to your lips and under your noses. Do your dishes smell the same way? Have you tried putting the glasses somewhere completely different, like in your bedroom or the linen closet? Just temporarily, as an experiment.

Could the smell be everywhere so that anything you sniff will smell that way? If you shut everything and it's gone, then open a door and it returns, something else is going on. You already know this. I don't see how it can be the DW.

o

I agree that it isn't the dishwasher. Were there any other changes made to the kitchen when you got the new dishwasher (remodeled? new cabinets? shelf liners)?

Wash the glasses by hand using regular dish soap and put them in the cabinet and see what happens.

o

There was a vent under our sink that was installed as part of a whole kitchen remodel. The inspector made DH change it as supposedly that model it didn't work that well. Well he was right because we were getting odors coming from under the sink.

Could this be plumbing related?

I would also try a different detergent and also try hand washing.

What about your water quality? Has anything changed?

o

I have the same model and experienced the same wet dog smell:

Check the top rack and make sure there's not a large, wet dog on it.

o

Sister had same trouble with a new Bosch-always pre rinsed dishes. Used Finish Tabs--switched to Cascade and changed cycles. Had been using shorter cycle. Went to longer/hotter cycle with Cascade pacs and no smell since.
Worth a try.

o

I appreciate everyones useful and candid (beefstew01) responses. I felt obligated to tell all that the problem is solved and how it was discovered:
A couple of weeks ago I got an "OE" error on the DW. Using the LG Smart Diagnosis app the DW gave a message of clogged drain line. I then uninstalled the DW and noticed that the drain line, (which I created a high loop during installation) had fallen to the floor and was laying under the dishwasher. My presumption was that it came down when I pushed in the DW during the original installation.
I pulled the bulk of the drain hose into the sink cabinet where I made a high loop. Reinstalled, re-leveled and reconnected the drain hose.

First ran a quick cycle and noticed immediately the louder more confident sound of the draining water from the DW.
I then ran a normal cycle with full load and was VERY pleased to note the soaking wet poodle that was living in my top rack had vacated the dishwasher and the horrid wet dog smell was GONE. :)

So YES it WAS poor drainage as the culprit. Thanks to all for your responses...LOVE this forum.

o

duplicate sorry

This post was edited by thew60 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 19:27

o

Yeah!!!

o

Thanks for the [honest] update - glad the problem is solved.

o

That's just plain weird. I understand the drain situation but don't understand why the DW and other items didn't retain the smell OR why the glasses smelled fine coming out of the DW. Glad it's solved :)

o

"I then ran a normal cycle with full load and was VERY pleased to note the soaking wet poodle that was living in my top rack had vacated the dishwasher and the horrid wet dog smell was GONE. :) "

Wow, good thing you checked that. And thank you for the update. Yes, the folks here on GW are the best!

o

poodles don't have an odor even when wet ! Are you sure it was a poodle?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here