Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freedbaby_gw

Was pretty set on American Range but not sure now...Need advice

Freedbaby
9 years ago

I am building a new house and was pretty set on a 48" American Range and 30" double wall ovens, french doors on top, chef door bottom but after reading some reviews on this forum I am second guessing my decision.

My requirements are as follows.

1) 48" range top, preferably open burners

2) I prefer the drip tray to be Stainless instead of the porcelain surface

3) 30" double wall ovens, preferably french door tops, chefs door bottom

4) ovens should be VERY basic...no timers, clocks, computers etc.

5) stainless finish on both and they must be the same brand.

I am totally comfortable with the price point of American Range but not sure I want to go a lot higher.

Ok, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

This post was edited by Freedbaby on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 19:51

Comments (15)

• jeffreyem
    9 years ago

Bluestar just announced they are doing 48" and 60" platinum range tops.

• Freedbaby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know I know!!! I am hooked...but they cant give me a date of any sort on their electric wall ovens.

• moe5474
    9 years ago

I was about to bite the bullet on an AR double wall oven when I read another negative review here this past week. Now I have no idea!

I have pretty much the exact same wish list as you: knobs, stainless steel, very basic. This is what drew me to AR.

The only other ovens I have looked at are the Thermador PODC302J, the Viking Professional Premiere VEDO and the new Viking with French doors.

I have had several salespeople tell me to hold out until Wolf releases their new M series at the end of 2014. Apparently it will have knobs and more of a "professional" look versus the touch pads that are so commonly seen.

Everyone has raved about how great this oven will be, but I don't know that I can hold out that much longer. We've been without an oven since June of last year and I'm about to the point of ripping my hair out!

I guess I don't really have much insight....I'm just in the same boat unfortunately. FWIW I have had several repair technicians tell me to just go with what I like and to stop over thinking it. They said that every single brand has horror stories and if you read enough online that you will find tons of it.

• Freedbaby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moe,

I think you are 100% spot on...if you think you are going to find a company with zero negative feedback, then you wont buy anything.

Wow, you have been waiting a long time. I have 100% decided on a 48" BlueStar cooktop and would like to have the new BlueStar electric double wall ovens but not sure about the timing. At the moment they are taking orders for them and they are on the website but have no builder specs and no delivery date...makes me a bit nervous. If it comes down to it, I will stick with the BlueStar cooktop and the American Range double wall ovens.

I researched those other ovens you mentioned, and only one of them interested me but they were WAAAAY out of my budget...like $12,000 for a set of double wall ovens. I quickly ruled them out.

• applnut
    9 years ago

Absolutely agree that there are duds for every brand, and therefore unhappy customers for all. BUT, as someone else once really wooed by the undeniably beautiful and on-paper impressive American Range double ovens, the ONLY thing I've read here is if not universally negative, than mostly negative reports about the AR ovens. And this is a forum that tends to champion little-known gems when applicable.

Something else I did was reach out to the companies I was interested in via phone or email. American Range, for instance, didn't respond to emails sent through the website and when I called I was told, twice, that I would get calls back regarding my pre-sales questions, but no one ever did. To me, that's not a great sign. I mean, if they won't help you BEFORE you buy the product, what's gonna happen if something goes wrong afterwards?

Wolf, on the other hand, was super responsive from the get-go, answered all my questions easily and completely and really made me feel comfortable about my purchase. Now, I'm dealing with the dreaded porcelain flaking on my ovens, so not ideal, BUT they are still just as responsive and helpful as they were pre-sales offering several fair, and even above and beyond options, so though it's not ideal, to say the least, it's hard to feel like I made a "mistake" buying from them either.

Salesmen are fine, but that's what they're trying to do: sell you. If something goes wrong, you'll almost certainly be dealing with the manufacturer, not your local showroom, so that's who I really wanted to talk to before I made a huge and expensive purchase, especially of a niche brand (e.g. Bluestar, Capital, AR).

Personally, my experience in doing so really clarified my choices. You might not have the same experience as I did, but it seems at least worth a few minutes of your time to see if it helps clarify yours, in whatever direction.

• BakingMom
    9 years ago

You want mine? (American Range double wall oven) no charge! You pay shipping. I want it OUT of my life. I'm sure you've seen my Youtube video, photos and posts on this forum so I won't repeat the story.

Attached is a picture of one of the few times I stepped away from the oven while food was being cooked inside. The bottom oven's broiler turns itself on mid-cycle whenever the oven is set to fyi - I'm an analytical chemist who likes things my instruments to work properly. This oven is driving me to drinking.

Please keep us posted as to what you choose for your dream oven - I'm in the market for one ;)

• Freedbaby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well my hope is that the BlueStar electric ovens come out in time...I should know a lot more in a month when I get back with them.

I actually have found the American Range people very responsive to questions...that hasn't been the problem at all. The problem with most of the other wall ovens is gadgets...I DONT want any gadget. I guess I will keep searching.

• wekick
    9 years ago

" Posted by applnut
    Wolf, on the other hand, was super responsive from the get-go, answered all my questions easily and completely and really made me feel comfortable about my purchase. Now, I'm dealing with the dreaded porcelain flaking on my ovens, so not ideal, BUT they are still just as responsive and helpful as they were pre-sales offering several fair, and even above and beyond options, so though it's not ideal, to say the least, it's hard to feel like I made a "mistake" buying from them either.

I do think that Wolf will take care of you within the warranty period. If you are out of the two year warranty, you are stuck using their repair people and they have you over a barrel. They won't give you price for repairs only a starting point and that was almost double what my other oven cost to have it's liner replaced. They will not stand by their products even with known ongoing issues. They do answer emails right away though. My DF range was a big expensive mistake for me.

• applnut
    9 years ago

I know you feel that way "wekick" and I don't blame you a bit. I'm only relating my experience, as you are yours, I'm well aware.

By the way though, Wolf has a three-year full warranty and a five-year limited warranty. When I looked at American Range and other models last year they were all one-year full, perhaps three-year limited on major components.

This post was edited by applnut on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 9:28

• Betsy Kocsis
    9 years ago

Wekick (or anyone else with a Wolf) --

The salesperson at the appliance store where we just looked at the Wolf and other ovens and ranges told us they sell a full 5-year warranty with their products. I haven't followed all your difficulties with your Wolf, but I did see that you were looking for a new oven. Do you think such a warranty is at all beneficial for Wolf products or would you still choose something else? Did the cracking in your oven happen within the 1st five years you owned it?

I thought it was interesting/strange/suspicious that the salesperson was unaware of the porcelain problems (or whatever the liner is called) with Wolf, etc. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that sales staff didn't know about this? Or maybe we should look elsewhere.

Thanks.

• Freedbaby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So for those of you who have had trouble with American Range and Wolfe ovens...what would you go with today??

• applnut
    9 years ago

Despite the issues, based on the way I've, so far, been taken care of I'd still recommend Wolf. I would not, for other issues with my range, recommend Bluestar (poor customer service and product quality control). I'm interested in Capital when we do eventually replace our Bluestar, as it will likely be between that and Wolf, but have no personal experience.

• saeyedoc
    9 years ago

I've had the same experience, salesmen claim to know nothing about the blue porcelain issues.

• moe5474
    9 years ago

@applenut Oddly enough I had the very opposite experience. Wolf would never return my calls and AR was johnny on the spot each time. Go figure!

I am literally to the point of tossing a coin....

• moe5474
    9 years ago

Posted by Freedbaby
    I researched those other ovens you mentioned, and only one of them interested me but they were WAAAAY out of my budget...like $12,000 for a set of double wall ovens. I quickly ruled them out.

Yikes! $12K??? The prices I was given were never that high. The most expensive one out of all of them was actually the AR.