Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Q for all Gaggenau combi-steam owners

eleena
10 years ago

The oven was installed about 6 months ago and seems to be working. I say "seems" because it was a 27" floor model that was only used once or twice in a showroom and was in pristine condition. However, I am not sure if it works properly.

When I set the temp below 220 F with humidity 60%-100% (haven't tried 30%), I see a lot of steam and condensation. When I set humidity to the same levels (60% to 100%) at 350 F or higher temperature, the unit "spits" some water in the beginning and then the sound comes on from time to time during the baking cycle but there is absolutely no visible steam.

The manual says: "Note: condensing is only possible by a humidity of 100 %, 80% and 60% and at a temperature below 130 C / 265 F."

IME, the food comes out pretty good, e.g., potatoes roasted at 400 F are not at all dry compared to a regular convection oven and the chicken is pretty moist, IMO. I tried opening the oven when baking/roasting and sticking my hand in for a sec. It felt more humid than a regular oven.

Technically, at temps much higher than the boiling point, water should evaporate very quickly. But shouldn't I see some steam coming out of the opening when I hear the sound?

For reasons too numerous to discuss, I need to decide (and urgently) whether thing really works.

Do YOU see any steam at higher temps (350 F or higher)?

TIA!

Comments (4)