Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyw_gw

Fridge only / Freezer only combo - What brands are best?

tammyw
9 years ago

We are still considering a 48" built-in, but I think we should look at the fridge only / freezer only combo (though I think it would be a bit bigger), simply because of price. Any recommendations?

Comments (3)

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Do a search at the bottom, (NOT the top), of the main appliance page, (hit the back button on your browser) to get to the main appliance page, then search for
    Thermador Columns.

You will see them compared to SZ, Mieles, as well as KA's.
    Everything you wanted to know about separate fridge/freezer combos.

As a general rule, folks seem quite pleased with the Thermador columns.

We have a 48" built in and paneled Jenn-air (had it for 8 years now), and love it, completely trouble free, cept for an ice maker that died after 5 years, but cheap and easy to replace.

Alto the Jenn-air has plenty of space for the wife and I, (both the fridge and freezer sections), had I seen the columns back in 2006 when we bought the JA, I might have been "tempted", alto I'm not sure I would like the idea and the expense of running two separate cooling systems.

We pride ourselves on our low electric bill, usually around
    $60 for a 2700 sq ft house, and I don't think we could do that running 2 separate appliances.

To save you some work "searching", just click the "helpful Link" at the end of my post~~~~~it will take you to the Thermador/Miele~~threads I first mentioned, in this post.

Good luck with your upcoming decisions!!

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Fridge/freezer separates

• Peke
    9 years ago

I have the Frigidaire twins and I love how easy it is to find items inside. Plenty of room in the doors.

I wish they had put the ice maker down lower so everyone can reach the ice. We put a second ice bin about half way down with a scoop. We refill it every day.

About two weeks ago an alarm started going off. I finally figured out it was the refrigerator. I opened it and the temperature was 58ð. Manual said that happens during power outages, but we haven't had an outage.

Today the alarm went off about a dozen times. It is now 60ð inside the refrigerator. My old GE side by side was filled with perishables from my new refrigerator in case it went out.

My GE is 29 years old and still works well. The icemaker even works.

So I will be calling Frigidaire tomorrow. Wish I could help you more.

• tammyw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dodge59 - thanks for the advice to search from the bottom of the page. I wasn't getting anywhere searching from the top! I'll try that next time!

I was looking at the Thermador columns and they seem almost as expensive as a single built-in, and as you said, more electricity to run - I wouldn't love that. As it is, we are getting solar panels installed to help with that area :) We are also considering a 48" built-in (Kitchenaid and SubZero are what we've seen so far at a local shop). The guy said the Kitchenaid is built on the same platform as Jenn-Air (if I'm remembering correctly) so I'm glad to hear you like yours! I like that the price is better than the SZ!

Peke - I think I just read your other thread about issues with your Frigidaire. I hope you get it working soon!