Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range

Posted by dzane (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 19:21

How is it to use the grill and griddle? ie ease of use, quality of cooking.

How is the new oven. Is it faster? Does it cook evenly?
Have you broiled? How big is the broiler and how well does it work? How hot does the large oven door get?

That is to say, did Bluestar succeed with the improvements they made? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluestar Platinum Owners - How is your Range

I would love to hear some feedback as well, looking to purchase next year. Another member commented that the griddle sits on two different power burners and this would cause heating issues.

o

not true-its a fantastic product ahving sold sold some already-the griddle grill should be placed on the insdie not the outside burners and the oven has a power module for reduced preheat time;your local AUTHORIZED dealer should have explained this to you unless he is not allowed to sell this series

o

It is true that the griddle and grill sit atop two burners of different power (25,000 and 15,000). I have no idea of the consequences of this set up.

Andy47, the range SOUNDS fantastic. Many things do. Sometimes there are unintended consequences both positive and negative. I have seen one of these. Looked great. BUT, I want to know how it is to use as a day to day range and if both the oven circulation AND heat up time are working well and how well it broils (Consumer Reports (I know they are not the end all be all BUT) they said the broiler in the old ranges was Poor). I do broil a lot and want this to work well. Other than needing a place to store the grill and griddle, (I'll happily store them if the resulting flexibility and functionality are worth it) is there any downside to the burner set up. Anything, first impressions, especially lasting impressions are welcome.

Thank you.

o

call steve crame the bluestar rep who knows the product
thru and thru 717 873 4162

o

I'm also interested in hearing from actual users. I have read dozens (or even hundreds) of posts on GardenWeb and Chowhound, and certain complaints have come up over and over and over again--the weak broiler, the fiery hot doors that won't open while the food is trapped inside, and the industrial noise levels.

All these problems seem to be with the ovens, not with the cooktop. Most of my cooking is cooktop, which is why BlueStar keeps catching my eye.

However, I do broil a lot, and I am absolutely sick of broilers that have no more power than a toaster oven. I also bake enough to want those oven problems resolved.

Any comments from personal experience would be a tremendous help. If the Platinum line has really tackled and resolved the well-known problems, I'll be buying a BlueStar this year.

o

Has anyone cooked bacon in a Blue Star Platinum oven?

Wouldn't the open flame of the PowR burner on the back wall of the oven ignite a grease fire?

Seems like that would be like cooking bacon on a gas grill or under a gas broiler, which is insane and dangerous.

o

Hi All -

I own the BS Platinum range and can answer a few questions. Mine was installed in end of March/April - so it's only been a couple months....I have had some problems, but am hoping that they all get solved while under warranty.

Re: Griddle/Grill feature - the grill is one of my absolute favorite features. At first I had the griddle piece on, but once I used that grill - I knew the griddle would collect dust. My friends have oohhed and ahhhed that we can actually grill - with flames licking a steak, in the middle of winter. I'm thankful I bought a good hood to deal with the smoke though from that kind of high-heat grilling.

Re: the broiler - so far have broiled fish a couple of times - it seems great to me - super hot and cooked my fish in about 3 minutes. The manual says it doesn't need to pre-heat, but I do think it needs a few minutes on to get cranking - though I haven't actually tested it.

Re: the doors - the doors get warm, not hot. So far no hinge problems yet, but I'm worried they are coming.

Re: Bacon in the PowR oven - I generally don't bake my bacon, so not sure. I can say though that my PowR Oven doesn't seem to be functioning properly. According the manual, there's never supposed to be more than the blue flame around the burner. When I have the oven on high heat (like 400 or more) I've noticed i get LOTS of orange flame. It's pretty scary looking, like there's a fire in the oven. I have yet another email out to my rep and their recommended repair service to come take a look. Seems to only happen when the oven is set to high heat (I also had convection on when this happened last).

Re: customer service/problems: So when the unit arrived, there was all kinds of damage, warped metal supports on the cooktop, warped oven pieces, and door handles that were clearly not level. All was replaced by BlueStar after two visits out. However, the rep who sold me the thing has been dismally unresponsive. And I just sent them an actual video with the PowR burning flaming orange to try (again) to get someone out to adjust it. After reading other BlueStar reviews, I'm getting worried about the longevity of this thing.

Once all the warped items were replaced, I will say I do really enjoy cooking on it. My biggest worry is with the oven right now...but the cooktop is just awesome - there is so much control. If I can get the oven piece resolved then I'll be a lot happier.

o

"Jasmith," thanks for the report and, sigh ... So glad you got your issues (mostly so far) taken care of, but it just stinks that you had them to begin with on a range of this price and supposed quality. Unfortunately, it seems like Bluestar continues to have almost no quality control. It's really, really frustrating though, at the very least, it doest seem like they're at least responding to customers now. Back in the old days (mid-2007) when I got my range and reported many of the same things I was told such issues as bent metal, missing screws, warped/misaligned grates etc. were impossible and they wouldn't be doing anything about it. So, better, but wouldn't it still just be easier to put together the ranges correctly in the first place and package them properly for shipping? Sure, some small number will always get damaged in transit, but the myriad of problems with new units we continue to see reported here is really beyond the pale. Get it together, Bluestar!

o

If you have too much orange on your burner's flame there's an inadequate amount of air being supplied to the burner in relation to the amount of gas.

Please make sure you have a functioning carbon monoxide detector in the kitchen as the flame you are describing is definitely not burning properly and is unquestionably dangerous. Run your vent hood on high if you insist on using that oven.

This type of burner (air/gas pre-mix) is brand-new to residential ranges and industry insiders believe Bluestar took it to market before it was ready.

o

@Cassity - this is pretty alarming. I have a technician coming out to fix it tomorrow. Any more insider knowledge about if any of these are working? I'm wondering now if I need to try and just get a new range entirely. There's no way that I can just not use that oven long term - it's the main oven! What's the point of spending all the money if you can't actually use it! Yikes.

o

@jasmith: Was the bad combustion issue resolved with the service call?

I have no way to know how many Platinum ranges were sold but a burner like that should be set once (unlike an atmospheric burner which needs to be adjusted for elevation) at the factory and work fine forevermore.

Unfortunately, I think it can be safely said that the problem with your burner goes beyond an in-house adjustment: it's a design flaw with the entire burner system (imho).

Good luck.

o

jasmith writes:

So when the unit arrived, there was all kinds of damage, warped metal supports on the cooktop, warped oven pieces, and door handles that were clearly not level. All was replaced by BlueStar after two visits out. However, the rep who sold me the thing has been dismally unresponsive. And I just sent them an actual video with the PowR burning flaming orange to try (again) to get someone out to adjust it.

From your description of the warped parts, your stove must have gotten a good dose of shipping damage.

Does your Platinum use propane or natural gas? Could you please post a link to that video so that I could see how orange your flames are?

The reason I'm asking is that our RNB uses propane and it's normal for propane flames to not be entirely blue. We have a little orange and yellow in the flames, and the stove, oven, and broiler all work great.

If yours is natural gas, then obviously that would not apply. I was just curious as to exactly how much orange is in your stove's flames.

Thanks.

o

Cassity, do you have any hard information (articles, third-party reviews, anything, etc.) to support your post that "industry insiders believe Bluestar took it to market before it was ready"? And your follow-up remark that it can "be safely said that the problem with your burner goes beyond an in-house adjustment: it's a design flaw with the entire burner system".

It's easy to say anything on the Internet, and I'm sure that many people on this forum that are considering this unit (myself included) would love to hear any facts you can provide.

o

@cassity - I'd like to second @jormy's request...those are some pretty big allegations that, if true, would mean way more trouble and expense for someone like me who would likely have to return my range and buy a different model or new brand. The adjustment that was made has seemed to help during the tests the technician ran - although I didn't cook this weekend to put it to the test once he left. More on that soon.

o

@jasmith, @jormy: As in any field, introducing new/crossover technology into a product can pose certain difficulties.

This type of burner, one that mixes gas and air with a blower, is mainly used in boilers and furnaces. It’s also is used in the commercial cooking world: but it's not located inside the oven cavity, openly exposed to the food.

I stated that this type of burner should be set at the factory as it does not rely on elevation adjustments that are necessary in an atmospheric style burner, that's the reason I believe it's more than an in-house adjustment. As it costs money to pay for service calls, why wasn’t it set right to begin with? It should be simple if the design is sound.

The statement regarding industry insiders was based on opinions of appliance industry workers. Jormy, unfortunately, there are no published results, third-party information or customer reviews (save jasmith’s) at this time. I couldn’t find one article regarding a power burner which is located in an oven cavity that was tested with proven success in a residential application. Lastly, the fact that industry giants, with hundreds of thousands to spend in R&D (Viking, Wolf), do not offer this type of burner in a residential range leads me to believe it’s not ready/applicable in this setting.

@jasmith: keep us updated.

o

@jasmith: did you see any improvement to your oven's poor performance (the "orange flames" you stated) since the technician made adjustments?

You wrote "the rep who sold me the thing has been dismally unresponsive." Has that person stepped up to help you with the problems you are having with the "PowR" burner?

o

@jasmith--any update to your oven's problems?

@jormy--have you found any information to verify/contradict my statements?

o

@jasmith--any updates?

Does the oven burner warp and/or discolor the oven racks as they are so close to the flames?

o

@jasmith I join the inquiries of others - any updates? Your input at this point would be of great help to those of us currently trying to decide between the Platinum and standard RNB Bluestar 48". I also welcome an answer to the question of propane vs. nat. gas.

Thanks!

o

HI All - I do have an update. The range is in the process of being exchanged by the store I bought it from. I had 6 service calls in 5 months. During the last one they actually replaced the valve to the PowR burner - and then the small oven stopped working completely (it's possible something just didn't get reconnected when they did the valve replacement). I really want to keep this range - and am hopeful that I perhaps just had a lemon and the new range will function properly. Again, it seems impossible to find anyone else who actually has this range to see if they are having similar issues. Everything so far has been covered under warranty and BlueStar is saying that they are not having these types of issues with other Platinums they've sold, but obviously there's no way to verify that. I will keep you posted on how things go with the new range once it's exchanged. If I end up having the same issues, I'll be looking at another brand or even the RNB - which everyone seems to like just fine.

Re: questions - we have natural gas (not propane); the over burner does not warp the oven racks, but the bottom rack does turn bright red from the heat at the area closest to the burner.

Re: @Cassity - again, it would be helpful if you identified your connection to the industry and source of your information in terms of your comments/concerns about the Platinum. It's hard to go into a conversation with a rep saying "This person on the internet says industry insiders think the technology was not ready for market."

o

I am happy to see that we have had a reply from jasmith. In the interim, this past Friday I undertook my own inquiry and visited the Bluestar cooking demonstration center/showroom in Reading where a platinum is on display. What follows represents the first hand observations of my wife and myself regarding the stove and its operation.
The stove is beautiful! The light and fan buttons have lighted diodes; the knobs are larger and available in any color you choose; the trim piece between the stove top and the knobs has been totally redesigned such that the former bottom lip that was a dirt and grease trap has been eliminated totally; the grooves in the kick panel have been eliminated once again reducing locations the collect grease and dirt; the shelves in the oven truly glide out; and the convertible griddle/grill is absolutely amazing despite being (since it is cast iron) fairly heavy. The only drawback I saw was that you need a drawer where you can store either the complete grill/griddle assembly leaving you eight burners on the 48 inch or you need a drawer to store the burners themselves when the grill/griddle assembly is on the stove. Personally, I was so impressed with its operation I can't imagine not having it on the stove. So what about the stove’s operation?
Concerned about the problems that jasmith had with her oven, I turned on the oven (running on LP), turned it up to 400° and even when it came to temperature saw no yellow flames whatsoever. We ran the oven in our presence for more than 40 minutes increasing the temperature in excess of 500° and it operated perfectly. I should also note that the doors did not become too hot to touch. I’m not going to comment on the operation of the burners as, except for the increased BTU capacity of two of them, they operate similarly to the RNB.
All I can tell you in summary is that my wife was so impressed that on Saturday we ordered the platinum for our new kitchen with a mid-September delivery. I should also note that I talked to our appliance salesman and he told me that since they’ve had the platinum on the floor it has engendered significant sales so there are apparently a lot of people out there using the platinum without problem or complaint.

o

Looking forward to updates from jasmith and avvocot as we plan on getting a 48" next year.

o

@jasmith: 6 service calls in 5 months without resolution!? Was your range on a recall?

I think Bluestar is going to have a major service problem with the Platinum range.

What appliance technician is going to be able to troubleshoot a power burner when it’s the first time they have seen it in a range setting?

o

i've read thru these posts and it seems alot of these problems are due mostly to problems with whomever is doing the shipping and not properly installing the range
in additon to adjusting the air shutter;thne ones i have sold in the past couple of months have not had any problems so far and alot of my clients seem thrilled with its features
to those who have written negative posts re this product
probably have no ideas that occur with other mfrs and their defaults;i can rightly say that bluestar stands behind their product

o

BlueStar stood behind ours...
The single initial issue at startup was promptly resolved with a factory replacement part. Since then, the stove has performed flawlessly. Zero issues with the igniters (it even came with two spares included). The oven door does not get excessively hot, and it opens and closes as smooth and solid as a Cadillac.

Rough shipping can wreck even the finest products ever made, and inept installers can do the same. Both of these occur ~after~ an inspected and passed product leaves the factory.

This post was edited by tinyhomebuilder on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:30

o

But you have an RNB...

The real question is how the PowR burner, which is quite an unproven design, holds up in the field.

o

@jasmith: I assumed your delayed response was due to Bluestar exchanging (recalling?) your range.

Bottom line, in my opinion (I have worked on commercial and residential ranges for many years, as have the people that I am getting opinions from): it does not work in the setting in which Bluestar is trying to implement it.

Power burners are systems which require balance--having food on roasting pans and baking sheets along with oil/ grease-laden air and oven racks and a convection fan situated inside the burner’s ring accompanied with opening and closing the door (which affects the burner’s pressure) will all have ill-effects on a power burner situated inside the cooking area. Again, that’s why I believe that it’s a poor, unproven design.

Replacing a valve is a sleight of hand and/or poor troubleshooting. A valve opens and closes. If it does that simple task it’s functioning. “Shipping damage” as some members posted is complete nonsense.

Personally, I would run away from that range as fast as I could as I believe the replacement will behave exactly the same as the first.

Why not ask Bluestar to put you in touch with other customers who are happy with the range? Were other people’s Platinum ranges also recalled? I’d also ask what, exactly, is going to be different about the replacement range.

Seems to me they’re just buying time.

As far as others who own the range, @andy47, a dealer on this thread, has claimed to “have sold some already.” Perhaps there will be some input there from other Platinum owners.

@beefstew01: Good comment--you are correct about a serviceperson having a hard time troubleshooting a burner they have never seen before.

@avvocot: you stated “…there are apparently a lot of people out there using the platinum without problem or complaint.”

If there are, @avvocot, they are noticeably silent. Or perhaps, they too, are riding on marketing promises and a replacement range.

o

hvtech writes:

But you have an RNB...
The real question is how the PowR burner, which is quite an unproven design, holds up in the field.

Of course. My comment solely concerned BlueStar's customer service which was attentive, courteous, and competent.

o

Just to clarify...the range was not recalled by BlueStar. BlueStar wanted to send a tech out for the 7th time. The appliance store I bought it from processed the exchange.

I really hope Cassity is not correct. I will have a replacement Platinum in the next week or so and we'll see how it works then. If I have the same problems, I'll be getting another range entirely. It's just too much money to have this not work perfectly.

While it took longer than I wanted, BlueStar was ultimately responsive and tried to fix the issue. The appliance store I bought it from has been great. I too would love to hear from other platinum owners - I'm thinking if this doesn't work out, I'd go for the RNB. I still like BlueStar better than other brands out there.

o

Thanks for the update. If it doesn't work out with the platinum, you can't go wrong with the RNB. As far as the burners go, they're nearly identical to the platinum. I've even heard that bluestar will make the interchangeable grill/griddle available on the RNB.

But hopefully, your replacement platinum will work out, making all of this moot!

o

I still would like to understand how the grille/griddle heats evenly. Looking at the Bluestar site, the 25k burners are the front middle two. The grille/griddle goes from front to back, over two different temp burners?? What am I missing here?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here