Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Is it really normal for Wolf range door to be crooked?

Madeline616
12 years ago

Hello,

Almost finished the kitchen, and loving my Wolf 36" DF. I noticed, though, the oven door is slightly crooked. When facing the range, the door is 1/8" lower on the left--not much but definitely noticeable.

Also, the left side of the oven door is "pulled out" further by 1/4", meaning it doesn't close as tightly, as flush, as the right side.

A Wolf repairman diagnosed it as a faulty hinge, but there was no improvement at all after the hinges were replaced. An older, more experienced repairman then arrived, saying that this uneven door thing is normal, since one side has a spring-loaded hinge and the other side has--if I remember correctly-- just a regular gas hinge.

He said the more I cook with it, the tighter the whole thing will get, and the door will even out. The whole store sounds a little suspect to me...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

I would go and look at one in a store and see how it is. Also, is your range perfectly level? Maybe that is throwing the door off? Good luck!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi Madeleine,
    I just measured and indeed the left side of my Wolf DF over door does project out 1/4'' farther than the right side. I've had the range for two years and have never noticed this, even though I use the oven almost every day. It must not bother me aesthetically since I had not noticed as I've stood for hours gazing lovingly at my range.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tee hee...thanks, Francoise and Tina.

Francoise, is it also slightly lower on the left when looking straight on? Like 1/8"?

I wish I didn't notice these things. Sometimes I drive myself nuts!

Oh, and yes, @Tina: it's level. The installers were great about using that giant level every which way. It's so nice for the oil to sit exactly where it's supposed to in the pan :). With my previous cooktop, it all pooled up on one side!

• HU-516628720
    4 years ago

OMG I’m seven years late to this party but found this thread because I noticed exactly the same thing on a range installed last Wednesday. I don’t feel any heat escaping, even during the high-temp “first run” that they recommend, so based on this thread I’m going to chill out and not try to be such a perfectionist!

• HU-164926470
    3 years ago

My GR366 has the same hinge setup and door problem -- and there was a heat mark on the left side of the door and it definitely was hotter on left side, and looked askew. After i bought the house 4 years ago, wolf sent their repair service (the only authorized in northern NJ, which is a joke since there is no competition for the repair company...), the technician tightened sone loose screws, but it still wasn't perfect -- bigger seal gap on left and door was lower on left than right side -- and it seems to have gotten worse. I realize now that there is a hinge adjuster on each side of door that allows vertical adjustment -- and technician never did this. Any technician that thinks the door will tighten up with use is an idiot. Furthermore, the unit should be rechecked for level on both axes-- fore and aft, and left and right before the hinge is adjusted. Also make sure the drip tray is fully pushed in and seated on pins the hold it in -- sometimes this gets cocked and makes the appearance of the door look worse.

• HU-946491563
    2 years ago

The large oven door on my five year old 60” stove hangs open and let’s heat into the room and makes the front of the stove dangerously hot. The Wolf repair man replaced the springs but it is no better. The stove is unusable. What can I do?