Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorys_prentice

LG Studio LSSB2791ST Refrigerator

Dorys Prentice
9 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with this fridge?? I really like the design and size but can't find any reviews what so ever on this model.

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Studio SS Fridge

Comments (17)

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

I am also in the exhaustive search for a decent 42" refrigerator. OP, did you happen to purchase this LG model? Did anyone? I still cannot find any reviews for it and am almost ready to pull the trigger on a non-reviewed 42" over the plethora of poorly reviewed ones.

Thanks!

• dodge59
    9 years ago

First thing to do is see if you can get service for it, as well as any needed parts,
    (in an "expeditious manner").

We continue to see posts of complaints about both Samsung & (LG, in particular), having to wait for quite a while for parts to come in.

CAll, LG and ask them for service recommendations, then check out reviews of that service company, Angies list, Yelp~~~~whatever!!!!

I need the door boot for my Maytag washer, and my Jenn-air fridge is not staying as cold as it should in the freezer compartment,~~~~~~so I called Jenn-air, since these are both "Whirlpool Appliances", I figured same service company should be able to service both the washer & fridge.

Jenn-air gave me the names of 3 service companies, "Authorized to do the Service".

I checked them out!

Two of the companies had "Horrific Reviews", one poster said if: "If could give them a -100 stars, I would!"~~~~and there were many similar reviews about 2 of the 3 companies!

Fortunately # 3 had great reviews, so I called them.

The guy came out, took a look at the fridge and the washer, said I will order the parts, and be back in a couple days. I said "Whatta I oweYa"?, He said "Nuttin", "I enjoyed seeing your classic cars". I said U fix the fridge and washer, & U take your pick of which one you want to go for a ride in.

Anwyay, "Long winded story" of why appliance service company & parts availability are sooooo Important!!!!!!

Gary

• mpatel1080
    9 years ago

I don't know anything about this fridge. But I do know that in that price range I would spend the little extra and go for Sub Zero.

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

Dodge59 and mpatel,

You both gave me great advice! I never thought to look for the service recommendations. I will certainly check that out. Also, the subzero does still seem to have the only good recommendations out there. So I might just bite the bullet and do that. I was really disappointed in my Consumer Reports subscription. Most of the 42 inch refrigerators that have good reviews through CR, have BAD reviews from actual customers. Subzero is the one exception but we were hoping to avoid the price.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

$8500?! If you don't want to spend for Sub-Zero there are still built in options that are way better than LG. Look at KitchenAid and Jenn-Air.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 13:46

• xedos
    9 years ago

WHAT - $8500 bucks for a built in from a player that is pretty new to refrigeration and so new to the built in segment that I didn't even know they had one?

You've got to be kidding. Even if it is great, the price alone will be to much to overcome for them to sell any. There is no compelling reason to buy it over a model from an established manuf.

I predict it will be discontinued within 3 years.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

That is just a price I found on ajmadison... I guess it could be worth it if you were getting a hell of a deal somehow? My LG washer has been good overall.

• IrvineKevin
    9 years ago

I, too, am looking at the LG Studio's 42" wide fridge. It's listed at $7650 at appliancesconnection.com.

The brand LG is Lucky Goldstar and they've been around for 50+ years. My mother-in-law (in South Korea) had a Goldstar fridge that lasted 20-some years. My LG fridge (LRSPC2041T) is 11+ years. I bought it when LG Appliances finally broke into the US market. They popularized the french door home fridges (AND the front-loading washing machines) in the early 2000s.

The best features of the LG (and other import brands) are: energy efficiency & quiet operation. These two are KEY features for them because of the high cost of utilities and smaller living spaces in their country.

LG is not just an appliances company, it's first and foremost a technology company. In the US, probably only GE can be compared to LG in terms of technology. I'd buy a GE Fridge if they were any good; but most reviews of the GE Monogram ZISS420DXSS are bad. SubZero or Thermador are fancy brands, but I find them lacking in features.

For myself, I'll stick with LG in a heart beat. The Studio LSSB2791ST also comes with a 10 Year warranty on its compressor.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

"The Studio LSSB2791ST also comes with a 10 Year warranty on its compressor."

Well "Whoope De Do"!

That warranty is for only one year for the labor to replace the compressor and the "Sealed System" warranty in only for 7 years, (parts) and again only 1 year for labor.

The expense in replacing these parts is in the labor, not the parts, as I've posted before.

Here is the GE Ziss~~~~~ warranty

LIMITED FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY
    For five years from date of original purchase, we will provide, free of charge, parts and service labor
    in your home to repair or replace any part of the sealed refrigerating system (the compressor, condenser,
    evaporator and all connecting tubing) that fails because of a manufacturing defect.

WArranty is 5 times as long on the labor.

I also saw some BSH (Bosch,Thermador, Gaggenau) fridges that had up to a 7 year warranty on the labor.

Now I will agree that "some of the fancy brands" do lack some of the features of the LG, but one feature that the LG does have is the "Potential" to drain your wallet with "so called Warranty Repairs" after you own it over a year!

Thanks, I'll pass on that one. Strange you mention "Goldstar", I think here in the US, those of us that do recall them~~~~~well~~~~they ain't "Fond Memories!!!

Gary

• chazas
    9 years ago

Other than the flaming, I'm really interested in this question. The specs on this one look pretty good.

We had a 48" Subzero in our last kitchen - weren't that impressed, and in our new house we just don't have quite that much room. A Kitchenaid 42" clone (like Dacor or Thermador) is a possibility, but the interior space is limited and my spouse likes LED lighting and the other mod cons, which as far as I know none of these fridges have. GE Monogram is also a possibility - we have those at work and they look reallly nice, but the online reviews aren't good.

Though-the-door ice is also required, so that leaves out Marvel, Liebherr, etc.

Or we could move down to a counter-depth side by side, like GE Cafe or Jenn-Air - would save money, but the aesthetics of a much shorter unit make me reluctant.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

There is no flaming here. There is skepticism at what appears to be an overpriced product from a company not traditionally known for quality and ease of service. If you do decide to buy it, please post back here with your experience. For all we know it could be really good (though I'm not coming to any conclusions until I hear how it holds up over several years).

• Dorys Prentice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm the original OP and no, I haven't bought it or anything else yet. I was looking for a large counter depth that had the built in look and through the door water/ice. The LG seems to be the largest capacity with the features I want. By the time I'm ready for a kitchen remodel, this unit may not even be available anymore. :-)

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

Hi Dorys:

So which refrigerator did you finally buy? I am also in the market for a 42" side by side built in. Prefer not to have the water dispenser. Any recommendations anyone? I kind of like Thermador 42-inch side by side with the gallon bin storage. I like Sub-Zero but the side bins are so tiny.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The Thermador side by side, which is now discontinued, was a rebadged KitchenAid. Unless the interiors are drastically different, I don't really see the point in paying the premium for the brand name outside of a package deal.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

BTW I take back my comments about LG quality earlier in this thread... I was just really pissed off when my washer had trouble out of the gate. Since then it has been problem free and great performance.

Still wouldn't risk all that money on their unproven built-in fridge though.

• kingadrian
    8 years ago

Hi hvtech42:

Thanks for helping me make a decision. Kitchenaid it is. I like the SubZero but cannot bear the price, plus there is no gallon in on the SubZero. Btw I have LG washer and dryer too and I love them.

Good night :)