Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kioni_gw

Does wattage amount of convection element matter?

kioni
16 years ago

I am trying to decide between two ranges, an LG 'true convection' which has an 800W element behind (or in front of) it's fan, and a GE 'true convection', which has a 2500W 3rd element. Does the element size matter?

With the GE, on convection bake it is only the convection element that goes on (after preheat, where all 3 elements are on), wheras on convection roast it is the broiler element (3800W) that is on and just the convection fan (and the 2500W convection element is off).

If the salesman explained it correctly to me (or I understood correctly) it is relatively the same thing with the LG (different store and salesman). I would think I'd getter better range of heat from a 2500W (GE) than an 800W (LG). One stove I came across that touted itself as True Convection had only a 300W element with it's fan. I am confused, as I like the 800W stove a bit better since the oven is a bit larger than the stove with the 2500 element.

Can someone shed light on the importance (if any) of the wattage size (I'm not electrically intelligent, except to know not to stick a utensil into a toaster to dislodge something UNLESS it is unplugged!).

PLUS, wouldn't just convection (without this 3rd element) be just as good at circulating the heat around the oven as would an oven with the fan AND the 3rd element? And, as I mentioned earlier, on the convection roast setting the 3rd element doesn't get used, just the broiler and the fan. It's just with baking that the 3rd element is being used (and with preheat). Or can I also cook food with convection bake? I'll go now and let some answers roll in, I am confusing myself!

Thank you!

Comments (2)