Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greg__r

Induction cooktop or range

Greg__R
11 years ago

Has anyone owned an induction cooktop or range that they'd recommend? We're looking at induction for child safety reasons. A split cooktop/oven is OK but the cooktop has to be able to sit on top of the oven module (like GE Monogram).

Comments (42)

• elyash
    11 years ago

Although I do not own an induction range yet, I have been doing extensive research on them. I have narrowed it down to the electrolux and the GE. The Frigidaire has been highly recommended to me also because it has two conventional burners and 2 induction - but that personally does not interest me. I have been told to stay away from the Samsung. Maytag has an inexpensive range but it is only available in freestanding (not slide in). Verona makes a beautiful induction range as well. Its available in a few colors.
    From my research, I believe that all induction burners work very well so it is a matter of placement and the size of the hobbs. So you need to think about your cooking style. None of the ranges have bridge units - which allow you to place a large pan or fish poacher across to burners. If you are opting for a range, you need to also consider the oven. For me, right now, that is a huge issue because I don't know which oven bakes better - GE or Electrolux. I have been in touch with both companies and Electrolux has told me that I can use a
    downdraft for ventilation, but I really don't need any sort of ventilation. However, the downdraft would need to vent through a wall or ceiling and not a floor. Electrolux makes one that fits those requirements. GE has said a downdraft cannot be used with their induction unit.
    As far as induction cooktops, if I had room to put in a wall oven & $$$, I would put in the Thermador freedom induction cooktop because pans can be placed anywhere and you don't have to worry about size. But, the cooktop alone retails for $5,000 whereas an electrolux range is about $3200 and the GE on sale is about $2300. Thermador also makes a beautiful conventional induction cook top with what I believe are the largest hobs in the industry. Others have posted about gaggenau which is excellent. Both gaggenau and Miele make module units where you can customize your own cook top to include a variety of cooking options such as a grill, griddle etc.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

We are also looking for an induction range for our working pantry kitchen/baking center. I looked at the Viking induction range but too pricey (it is a baking center not main kitchen). The price on the Verona induction range is ~$3K (price from Eurostoves). Can't find pics or details tho - I believe it was just introduced to the US market last month.

My next choice is the Electrolux induction range or an induction top and below counter oven. Still looking at options.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

avidchef,

I've used my 24" fish poacher across the rear two (smaller) hobs on my E'lux induction range with no apparent problems. I'd hesitate to use a grill pan on high across burners, for fear of damaging stuff below where there's not supposed to be a pan, but the fish poacher on a very low simmer is (seemingly) fine.

• Fori
    11 years ago

My preference is for separate units, mostly because I don't like the gap that gets dirty in my house. We find a cooktop easier to keep clean.

We installed a Windcrest cooktop a few years ago and were very pleased with it. It was one of the shallower models available at the time and would allow an oven beneath. I don't know if they're still in business.... :)

• Greg__R
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point about cleaning fori; I hadn't thought about that problem.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

My experience was that its difficult to find a *convection* oven that fits comfortably and directly below an induction cooktop, because of manufacturers' clearance requirements around the oven and under the cooktop.

Ended up with a range instead, because of this -- but that was close to two years ago now, so things may have changed.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Nine months in and still loving my range, although if money and space was no object I would love a cooktop and a *wall* oven (not a wall oven mounted under the cooktop mind you).
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0822440817422.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux Induction Range review

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

Greg__R: We're looking at induction for child safety reasons. A split cooktop/oven is OK but the cooktop has to be able to sit on top of the oven module (like GE Monogram).

We have had an induction cooktop with a separate wall oven, the latter installed in a standard counter unit, in our kitchen for a dozen years. The combination works well.

Be aware that there can be an order of magnitude or more of difference among induction cooktops as to the vertical dimension of the stuff that hangs below counter level, and -- in addition to that -- the manufacturer's recommended clearance space above components installed below the cooktop. The LG LCE30845 cooktop that we now have has a very slender pancake profile beneath the counter level, and requires very minimal clearance above components mounted below. Other cooktops that we looked into (now more than a decade ago) required as much as fifteen times as much vertical clearance below the cooking surface to the next surface below.

FWIW, our cabinet-mounted "wall" oven is a now-discontinued Bosch HBL 645 convection oven, which has sufficiently compact vertical dimensions to allow a shallow drawer to be installed below the oven, within the cabinet, for storage, e.g., of extra shelves for the oven and shallow pie pans.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

MichelleDT,

Do you have any info or a model number of the Verona induction rage, or know if its a slide-in or free-standing? I can't find anything about it.

We got a GE Profile over-the-range convection microwave 2 years ago, so was leaning towards the GE Profile slide-in induction range that goes for about $2500.

If the Verona looks nice and is better quality, then we'd consider it. But I don't know anything about that brand (quality, reliability).

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Fauguy,

I can't find anything abut it. Avidchef saw it at the AD show in NYC last month. New to the US Market. Eurostoves (Trevor) gave me a price. That's all I have at this point. Hoping they update the website soon with details.

M

• yebo
    11 years ago

I just emailed eurostoves about it, and when somebody gets back to me, I will post.

• elyash
    11 years ago

Fauguy,

The following websites will provide information on the Verona.
    http://ilveappliances.com/products.php?catid=49

www.eurochefusa.com
    www.eurochefusa.wordpress.com/

I have been in touch with Eurochef as some of my clients may be purchasing it.
    I can relay questions if more information is needed.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Thanks Avidchef......still no info/pics on the Verona induction range (that I can find).

M

• elyash
    11 years ago

Michelle, I think it is still to new to have much out about it. The links I provided have a lot of pictures and all the details about the induction range are on ilive website.
    I have checked the online appliance magazines and so far no reviews.
    You seem to be interested in new appliances - check out KBIS.com - this is the annual Chicago kitchen and bath show where all the new stuff is introduced. They have an appliance called a macrowave - supposedly an improvement on the microwave.
    Fauguy, The Verona is Italian made. Its free standing. It looked very nice when I saw it. You may want to google the British kitchen or appliance magazines for reviews as it may have been out in England earlier - I just don't have any other information.

• luv2putt
    11 years ago

have you had a chance to look at the Viking induction range ,,,very cool look, colors avail and a 3 year warranty....After spending a few months researching the Ge, Electrolux and Kenmore also , this is what I have ordered in racing red...I had a chance to actually play on one and was very impressed !!! And yes Ive seen the the negative comments ...But you can find negativity on just about all appliances ... Look for a Viking distributor , not a dealer for a demo ....

• luv2putt
    11 years ago

here is a pic of my racing red viking induction on order

Here is a link that might be useful: viking

• fauguy
    11 years ago

AVID CHEF,

Thanks. I looked at the iLive site. It does look nice, but I think I still like the GE slide-in induction more for my kitchen, as it would match the GE microwave, and it also has larger induction hobbs and convection in the oven.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Luv2putt, the image isn't being shown. You might have it set to private?

• luv2putt
    11 years ago

try it again,,it had been set to private ,,,thx

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

For others:

I did look at this (and posted about it) and had the opportunity to demo it locally. I will have a BS range in the main kitchen and did not want to spend the $$'s on the Viking for my working pantry/baking center.

From a review perspective, I think they were all older and related to the first generation of induction hobs they were using. I believe they changed vendors later 2010, early 2011 if I recall what they told me correctly.

Good luck and please give a detailed review when u have had it for a while.

M

• luv2putt
    11 years ago

...Thanks Michelle for posting the pic ,and I will be sure to due that...its about 5-6 weeks out yet ....One of the main reasons i was drawn to this was the lack of electronic controls...And I wanted a little color to spice things up!!!

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

I hear you...I wanted a racing red range in the pantry....I even called powder coating places locally to see if they would coat one of the other induction ranges currently on the market - they would but what a hassle it would have been.

I have plenty of time so I am hoping some info comes out on the Verona. I tried searching UK and Italy kitchen sites for information but still can't find anything. I emailed a local sales company that carries Verona as well Eurochef USA last night for information. There are so many cool induction color ranges for the UK (Rangemaster below) and Euro markets - they just need to get them here!

Fingers crossed that the Verona will meet my induction RED range dream...the price is certainly right.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

I hope the Verona looks like that Falcon or the Rangemaster.
    We Definitely need more choices for Induction Ranges in the US.

Congratulations on your purchase of the Viking luv2putt, it is a beautimous Induction range, (Somebody had to be the "guinea pig" here), hope it works out well!!

It would be nice to see them a bit more competitive on pricing though.

Gary

• elyash
    11 years ago

I have been comparing the burner specs, placement, and oven size on four inductions. The GE clearly has the largest oven (5.3) and the Verona the smallest (3.0). GE and Verona have warming drawers, Electrolux has a second oven, whose usefulness has been the subject of discussion. Viking claims to have the largest oven in the industry at 4.7 - I guess they ignore GE. The GE, Electrolux, and Viking have both freestanding and slide in. Verona has only free standing. GE has the largest burner (11) while Viking's largest is only 8 and Verona's largest is 8.75. Electrolux's largest is 10. For those who make a lot of soups, I believe the hob size is very important. Interestingly, Vikings largest burners seems to have less power then GE's largest burner. Although when comparing both 8 inch burners, Vikings is stronger and almost the equivalent of GE's largest burner. What all this means in terms of cooking - I don't really know. Perhaps the induction cooking mavens can interpret my chart and tell us if there are significant practical differences. As for me, I am still torn between the electrolux and the GE. I went to six appliance stores today and none had them on the floor. If anyone know of stores in NJ that have them on display, please let me know.

Burners Largest Burner 2 Burner 3 Burner 4

GE 11 RF 8 LF 8 LR 6 RR

2400-3700 1850-2500 1850-2500 1300-1800

ELECT 10 RF 8 LF 7 LR 6 RR

2400-3500 2400-3400 1900-2600 1500-1900

Viking 8 LF 7 RF 7 RR 6 LR

2300-3700 1850 1850 1400

Verona 5.75 RF 7 LF 7 LR 8.25 RR
    1400-1900 1850-2500 1850-2500 2300-3200

I noticed when I previewed the chart the numbers ran together. I have redone it several times, but for some reason it will not post the way I designed it. I hope the chart will be comprehensible.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

I have a late 2007 purchased Kenmore Elite induction cooktop. It was a relabeled clone of the then Electrolux Icon model and was somewhat lower in cost (and didn't have a stainless steel strip between the controls and hobs which I thought to be less than aesthetic). It has worked fine so far. Investigation of present day Kenmore induction units characteristics vs. those of Electrolux may reveal that E-lux is still making them for Kenmore. I don't personally know.

Ventilation is needed whether one is using gas, electric coil, or induction because the need is driven mainly by cooking effluent (water vapor and a spectrum of grease particle sizes). Odor removal can also be a factor.

Downdraft vents have very poor capture due to the effluent having an up velocity. This velocity is about 3 ft/second and the crossflow velocity obtained by most downdraft systems will not divert most of the effluent to the downdraft aperture.

Each hob on an induction cooktop has a range of pan sizes that work well with it. If a pan is much smaller than the inner marked ring, the pan sensor may not allow the hob to work. If much larger, the hot pan bottom might overlap a temperature sensitive electronics area. I haven't yet found any cooking project to require a pan that couldn't be fit to one or more of the hobs. An exception in my cooktop's case would be if there were a desire to use a long griddle and straddle two hobs. Some induction cooktops are designed for this.

kas

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

The GE is the newest -- well, maybe Verona is even newer, now -- which is why both are so difficult to find in stores and why Viking was correct when they said their oven was the largest, some years back.

I think speed of cooking for a given hob would primarily depend on the available power (on boost, or high), assuming your pan is a good fit for the hob its on.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Another thing to consider is the amperage. The GE slide in uses a 40A 240V plug and breaker, while others require 50A. My circuit breaker is 40A for range, so that is what I would go with. If I wanted a 50A range, then the breaker would have to be changed, and probably the wiring in the wall and the plug?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

Yes this is something to consider with induction, though not particularly between a range vs. a cooktop. If you have an option it makes sense to install the higher amp service. In new construction, you'd just run higher amp wire and circuit breakers. If you're remodeling, it might be a pain to run new, heavier, wire through existing walls.

Its been established elsewhere here (by people who know lots more than me) that a 50amp service supplies more power with all hobs on high at once, not if you're cooking on just one or two at a time. In other words, its during extreme demand that you notice any difference.

My E'lux range uses the existing 40A service. The Viking may require more, I forget.

• luv2putt
    11 years ago

Avid , like you I ran the numbers over and over ...Trying to decide the most bang for the buck ...And I was driving myself crazy...They are all good and will work !!!! So for me it came down to feel , looks , and usability..The Viking, for me just won out on those parameters.. It looked and felt solid, the look of the ge and electrolux did nothing to excite me...knobs verses electronics that i frankly did not trust and simple usability ...But for less you pay a premium with a very sketchy service record ...The fact they offer a 3 yr warranty shows you Viking's concern over their reputation, but the confidence to stand behind their product ...I went and talked to the service manager at my distributor and got a feel for their level of service..In the end, i feel at total comfort with my decision ,,I very leary of being scared by forum revies as the most vocal are those with problems.. All appliances have a certain level of problems, thats just a fact...Try to test drive anything your interested in...You will be glad you did..

• yebo
    11 years ago

In response to an email question to Verona, I've just been told they're offering the 30" induction range through Ilve line . It looks nice though sadly only in stainless steel. Now I'm asking about price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ilve induction range

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Eurochef US confirmed it is the Ilve as well. Trevor gave me a price of $3K. I want color not SS.

• elyash
    11 years ago

I suggest calling ILIVE directly and speaking to them. Their other ranges have a limited color pallet so if one of those colors appeals to you, perhaps they will be happy to do it. I believe the color upcharge on capital and BS is around $450.00. (Not 100% sure on that number -just a recollection.) If you want a custom or RAL
    color, I would ask about that too.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Eurochefs US quoted a price of $5K. He said at this time, no color options are available.

• yebo
    11 years ago

Yes, 5K and stainless only -- available in June '12 - was quoted to me from Eurochefs as well. Probably outside my range (not intended joke).

Could the people who heard about color and 3K let us know details? Is Trevor quoting on the same Ilve induction range? He hasn't replied to my email.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

If its 5K, then its way more than I could spend (considering the GE slide-in is $2500). Also, the ILIVE induction is free-standing (not a slide-in), but still has front controls and a small back-splash, and requires 50A service.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

For slightly more than $5K, I will take my chance on a Viking or do a induction cooktop with an oven under it rather than a brand I have never heard of.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

I double checked my circuit breaker, and it is rated at 50A for the Range. The 40A was something else. So that means I could use a 50A induction range, such as the ILIVE or the Electrolux slide-in, but I still think I'd stick the getting the GE slide-in. The ILIVE and Viking are just too much $. If I was going to spend $6K, I'd use it to remodel the Master Bath, or get a Jacuzzi J-325 hot tub for outside.

• elyash
    11 years ago

Although I couldn't find reviews of Verona's induction range, AJ Madison does
    have 5 reviews focusing on two of Verona's ranges. People seem to find
    high value for the price paid and in general like their ranges. Very little negative feed back.

• elyash
    11 years ago

An induction wall oven is available in the UKBelling launches the new eco induction oven, the world first induction wall oven, the BI60i. This unique built-in appliance uses induction technology in the main oven cavity. The 60 cm wall oven uses an impressive 50 percent less energy than an 'A' rated oven. The patent pending 6-in-1 induction oven uses an integrated induction plate inside the oven cavity and is capable of slow cooking, roasting, grilling, steaming, fan cooking and baking casseroles. The BI60i comes with a unique cast iron pot as well as a steaming and roasting trivet for induction cooking using the slow cooking, casseroles, steaming and roasting modes. The oven also incorporates a fanned oven, top heat and dual zone grill and offers a usable cooking capacity of 59 litres.
    This company also makes a free standing double oven induction unit.
    Belling launches FSE60DOi, its latest freestanding induction range. Following the successful launch of the FSE60i, a freestanding multifunction double oven with induction hob, the Belling design team has added a further product to its collection of freestanding induction appliances. The FSE60DOi is a 60cm 'AA' rated electric fanned double oven with an LED programmable timer and an energy efficient four-zone induction hob, with easy to use rotary controls.

he stylish freestanding range boasts a conventional oven and grill in the top cavity and a fanned oven with a usable cooking capacity of 59 litres in the main cavity. The induction hob offers a number of safety features, including pan detection technology and a pan overheat sensor which prevents the cooking zone from reaching a dangerous temperature. A power boost function allows the user to create additional heat as required.

Steve Dickson, commercial manager at Belling said: "Induction is the smarter, faster, safer, greener way to cook and weâÂÂre trying to make that technology as accessible as possible. In 2009 we were the first to incorporate an induction hotplate onto a freestanding multifunction double oven, opening up the technology to a much wider audience. By adding the FSE60DOi fanned double oven to our range we are offering retailers two clear trade-up opportunities and honouring our commitment to creating a range of induction products at price points accessible to all."

What is taking so long for induction to take off here????

This information and more ranges is available on
    http://www.appliancist.com/ranges

• fauguy
    11 years ago

Here's a video of the BI60i 60cm built-in oven with induction plate. Probably won't see that in the US for at least 7 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1dx4ZC0bik

• Greg__R
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point about cleaning fori; I hadn't thought about that problem.

• PRO
    EuroChef USA
    11 years ago

RangeGalNY here direct from EuroChef USA.
    The Induction Top Range that we offer is from the ILVE, Italy line. It is available only in stainless steel at this time.
    The INDUCTION technology is supplied by a manufacturer called E.G.O., Germany. They supply induction materials for many of the top brands out there. Along with the high-quality E.G.O. top you get an ILVE electric convection oven with digital clock and timer. It's a win/win.
    Amp requirement is 50, which means no special hook-ups are necessary.
    MAP price is $4,999.
    These are in stock and ready to move! Check out the weblink for additional details. Also visit us on facebook.com/EuroChefUSA for promotions and special offers.
    Thank you.
    EuroChef, USA

Here is a link that might be useful: ILVE 30