Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zfrankle

The Capital no-service saga continues

zfrankle
12 years ago

11 months ago I got a new Capital range, that immediately got sidelined by a broken latch cooling fan. Because I'm on the east coast, Capital has no factory service reps here, so the whole thing took about a month to fix, and that only happened because someone form Capital read about my problems on this forum�had I not posted here, I doubt they would've done anything.

This is sadly borne out by my recent experience:

The broken fan noise is returning. So two weeks ago, I emailed Capital again, and they promised a service visit to replace the fan. Again. I haven't heard a thing from them since.

No range I've owned has ever needed service. And I'm not young. For the most expensive one I ever bought to fail twice in less than a year is really disheartening. Not saying that they're all like this, but I got a lemon, so make sure you have real service in your area if you buy one. I'm at a loss about what to do next.

Comments (19)

• SparklingWater
    12 years ago

Here is a link to Capital dealerships by State and/or worldwide. What has the dealership you bought your Capital through arranged or contributed to help with it's servicing? I try to stay local, so if your purchase dealership isn't contributing, perhaps contacting another to help you is advisable. If no direct trained Capital service rep is available to you, surely Capital should help arrange to facilitate a range appliance to work with them, the specs and figure out the fan problem.

I am sorry Capital has not stepped up their service for you! Eleven months is a long time to hear that noise and not get it resolved. Here's hoping Capital will step it up for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Dealerships

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Pretty sure that if trevor gets wind of this he will help you out.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Pretty sure that if trevor gets wind of this he will help you out.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice -I was really hoping that given their warranty, Capital would make good on it without having to resort to outside pressure. But all my dealings with them over the last year have been fraught with incompetence, delays and obfuscation. It's too bad, because the range is great when it's working properly.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Call Joey at Capital.
    He seems to be to Capital what Mandy is to Blue Star.

You also might mention that a couple of folks are considering the Capital on Garden Web, and unresolved "Issues" will certainly not help the "Cause of Capital" here in
    Garden Web!!!!

Gary

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Funny, I *just* posted that I didn't believe anyone was feeling ignored by Capital of late. My bad I guess.

"I'm at a loss about what to do next" Well, please do pick up the phone tomorrow, remembering the 3 hour time difference (!) and call: (866) 402-4600 Toll Free . Just read your post straight off, verbatim. That should do it, no?

• elyash
    12 years ago

Capital seems to be having many issues lately -service, simmer burners. I have been debating about CC or BS. I want BS, but my DH wants CC because of the self cleaning. I am wondering where on the east coast you are since Trevor is in Beverly, Mass. I assume he arranges help for the coast. Please keep us posted because servicing will have a major impact on those of us who are on the fence. Maybe I should consider an AGA.....

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The odd thing is that initially they responded with promises of swift action, but since then (going on the 3rd week now) they have not responded to my followups at all. As for calling, my work schedule conflicts with their open hours most days, but I'll give it a shot.

BTW avidchef, I would advise you to not use the self-cleaning feature; it's not good for the long-term health of the appliance. My range does have it, but I never use it. It's not that hard to clean with Simple Green. That aside, I wish I had gone with Blue Star. The AGA is a completely different thing, and more suitable for someone who does a lot of baking or slow cooking.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

You haven't phoned them to follow up? I suggest the same as Aliris--call them. Bob seems to be in charge of customer service. Don't just talk to whoever answers the phone at this point.

I've found them to be responsive with personal contact. I'm sorry your experience has bee less. I also wonder if contacting Trevor at Eurostoves might be helpful. Not sure what part of east coast you are though.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm already in email contact with Bob. And I work in an open office environment (yup, everyone hates them) with no privacy at all, so it's much more feasible to email than to talk on the phone.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Do you never get a break or lunch break when you could call? I'm familiar with open offices. Worked in one almost my working career.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's not that type of workplace. If it were at all practical, I'd do it. But anyway, it shouldn't be necessary to hound them when they've already acknowledged the problem and said they'd do something about it. At this point it'll have to wait, since we're about to leave for vacation. That gives Capital an extra couple of weeks to get their act together. If they haven't responded by then I'll just pay for the repair myself and send them the bill.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I wouldn't passively sit back and wait without a follow up at this point. More than a few days go by when I'm waiting for a response in any CS situation and I'm all over them. It's not hounding them if you've waited this long. I would instead term it being assertive.

• oregpsnow
    12 years ago

Can you use Facebook or Twitter to spread your message? Find a cooking site, or a foodie site and let'em have it. Capital can't afford any more bad publicity - it gets enough here. I am not sure why people still buy them but if you choose to you should get way-above-average service. I got better service than that on my 13 year old Whirlpool range. And I won't soon be replacing it with anything from Capital.

Good luck to you. But you shouldn't need it :-)

• elyash
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update and advice. I hope your issue gets resolved promptly.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Recently purchased a Bluestar and totally happy with it. A few grates came with slight chips from the shipping process and all I had to do was e-mail pictures...new ones on their way. Love this range.

I debated about the manual clean feature and decided it was just fine with me. I clean up messes when they happen, and feel the basic, no frill design will equate into a long sevice life.

• zfrankle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

UPDATE: I finally got a call from the service company, then a follow-up form Bob at Capital. Took about a month, which i think is absurdly long, but they did finally call. (Hope this is the last time - I don't understand why a properly engineered oven would need a latch cooling fan to begin with.)

• ratflinger
    12 years ago

We sent an email to Trevor last week about a bad ignitor, today I got a call from Capital & the parts were being shipped out today. I don't understand why some people have trouble with them - Trevor (my dealer) has always gotten me excellent service from Capital.

If your dealer says they can't get Capital to respond I think it's a dealer issue & not necessarily a Capital issue.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Ya gotta remember, ratflinger, Trevor has a lot of
    "Taffy Blood" in his veins!!!

Gary