Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me pick a simple FD fridge

Posted by magnolia_lee (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 18:30

Researching refrigerators is so demoralizing. The deeper you get, the more it seems like they are all junk. Every brand has someone proclaiming "Never again!" It feels impossible to stay on top of what company is actually making each unit, with all the rebadging going on.

I'm looking at full depth, 33" wide FD units in SS. We don't plan to hook up ice maker, or water functions, as we don't use that with our fridge - (prefer room temp water). I'm mostly concerned with long term durability and reliability over appearance, though I am sticking to stainless steel to keep at least the same palette.

If anyone has insights into these models that I've singled out, I'd love to hear.

Samsung RF217AC
GE CNE22SSE

The following two are model #s I noted from the floor units at the appliance shop I like, but seem to have very similar, maybe more recent models, available online.

LG LFC24770 (or LF25765)
KitchenAid KBFS22ECMS (or KBFS22EWMS)

Any thought on comparing these? What's the deal with Kenmore these days? I feel like I'm hearing conflicting things about whose units they are rebadging...

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me pick a simple FD fridge

I have had a Maytag FD counter depth for the last 10 years and have no problems and I love the layout with the beverage section in the door for milk. We got ours at a scratch and dent sale so not sure if they make this but I would look at Maytag

o
RE: Help me pick a simple FD fridge

Okay, so after scouring various GW threads, I found a great link that helped sort out who is making what. (Re-shared below).

I also spent the weekend checking out some of these units in person, and after going back and forth a bunch of times, think I'm going to skip the french door and just go with basic bottom freezer. Now, I just need to narrow THOSE options down. I did find a Kenmore that I like that is on clearance at a SEARS that is closing nearby. I had already gotten a quote on the matching LG model (identical as far as I can tell) that is around $500 more thanks to the clearance price.

Buuuut, now I've seen a KA that seems good and feels a lot more sturdy than the Kenmore/LG. The appliance guys said that there is an updated version of this KA coming out May 1, so I guess I'll wait a few days to see how that fits into the equation. Hopefully the Kenmore doesn't get snatched up in the meantime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance 411 - Manufacturers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here